Sign in to follow this  
RLogue177

Republic credits will do fine.

"No... they won't."

During the Galactic Empire era, are Republic credits worth anything anywhere?  Are credits made of precious metal at all, or do they simply carry the value of what the government says they're worth (like paper money)?

I guess I shouldn't give the players 30,000 Republic credits thinking they'll be worthless in the Empire...   ;)

Or, maybe in your Empire, Republic credits are worthless. It is your game after all, right? ;)

Or, maybe they were worth something for a period of time, but after the initial trade-in period expired, they simply became novelties that could be put up for display, but had no actual monetary value.

Currencies divorced from something physical helps economies as there isn't a limit on the amount of currency available. That is an important thing once economies grow to a certain size relative to the amount of said material, which is why most countries have broken from the old standards. IIRC, the US broke from the Gold Standard back in the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard#Disadvantages

Think of the Star Wars galaxy as the Earth writ large. Different areas have their own currencies depending on who is in control (Hutts, Corporate Commission, Empire, etc...). Not everyone in each area will just accept other currencies. They'd prefer their own unless they travel a lot or don't trust their local currency (which is why US currency is used in so many other places in the world).

Oh I see... That makes sense. Thanks for the link!

I guess I shouldn't give the players 30,000 Republic credits thinking they'll be worthless in the Empire...   ;)

Now what you can do is give them the Star Wars equivalent of "traveler's checks" (traveler's check in spaaaace), which would require them to do some forgeries and other dastardly deeds if they wanted to benefit from them. 

Adventure could very possibly ensue with these "secure" credit chips. 

The Empire is both the de facto and de jure successor state of the Republic. It'd be really strange (and a huuuuuuge hassle for everyone, including the Imperial government) if the currency didn't carry over. Worst case is they stopped minting "old" credits and started issuing "new" ones with a trade-in period (maybe even with an exchange rate just to be mean) but I don't even see that happening. The Emperor is a Sith Lord, but he's not stupid, and crippling the economy with that kind of upset wouldn't advance his plans at all. That kind of economic instability is the opposite of the Empire's goal.

Edited by Kshatriya

Yeah I assume the only difference between the Republic and Imperial credits is who's face is on them. There was likely plenty of overlap time with a 1:1 exchange rate, though after a while that would pan out and leave you with Republic Credits as more collector's items.

It's also likely that like Republic credits their actual value fluctuated by region and political situations. While probably more stable then Republic Credits, I suspect there's plenty of beings on places like Nar Shadda, Mon Cala, or what ever that will prefer to give or take payment in regional currencies or easily tradeable goods like precious stones or metals.

It might even get really strange sometimes. Could totally see a smuggling run to a non-alliance rebel group end in payment that's 20% Imperial Currency and 80% some garbage currency they minted themselves that's only valid on the single outer rim colony they control and has an unofficial exchange rate of 1000:1 with imperial credits.

30,000 CIS credits it is then! LoL

Those would be worthless right? And it even fits the background of the adventure better.

Depends on who you ask and where you are, but for the galaxy at large CIS credits might be worth the full value of the plastic and metal they're made of.....so yeah, not a whole lot....

Edited by Ghostofman

30,000 CIS credits it is then! LoL

Those would be worthless right? And it even fits the background of the adventure better.

They're effectively worthless if their value is derived from being purely fiat currency. If they're made of a precious material, they might have some value if smelted down and reshaped into an ingot. 

CIS and Republic credits were both backed by the same bank.

And there's that as well. There was that late season story line in The Clone Wars that showed how the Banking Clan was profiting from both sides of the war, and Armadilla's boyfriend became head of the bank.  Then it was all stripped away when the Republic came in force to take control of the place.

Okay, so here's what I'm doing...

The PCs find an old light freighter adrift in space and explore it.  (I guess blowing it up in target practice, or just leaving it alone and moving on are options as well.)  The ship belonged to a Clone Wars era spy/agent who met with foul play and betrayal, and the ship has been drifting for the last 20 years.

Inside, is a hidden smuggling compartment containing the loots.  I was thinking some fake IDs, a blaster pistol, and a bunch of credits.  Sort of like when the spies on TV shows and movies open their hidden safe boxes to reveal that sort of stuff. My thought was that there might be a substantial amount of money present, but it would be in Republic and/or Seppie creds and not worth a whole lot.

The encounter would lead into solving a 20-year-old mystery of what happened to the spy guy, and I'm thinking about the ship and trying to figure out how to dress it up for the situation.

Ideas?

Credits only carry value if they can be perceived to have such, and can be traded for such.  That's the primary reason Separatist credits are worthless now.  Alliance credits would similarly be devalued based on their availability for use outside of Alliance controlled worlds.  The Republic credit was changed to the Imperial credit along with appropriate markings, thou that change was largely cosmetic.

The Hutts maintain their own currency form that is prevalent on many Hutt influenced Outer Rim worlds, just as the Corporate sector maintains its own monetary system along with the Company Store to go into debt spending them on.  The intergalactic Banking Clan pretty much manages market values for thousands of individual systems currencies, creating new ones and devaluing others regularly.

Creates an entire adventure hook possibility when you add into the element of crime lords, governments, and corporations trying to artificially create wealth via short sales of currency and artificial disasters, like pirates and mercenaries to start conflicts between two neighboring worlds.  Not to mention the money to be made off gun sales, medicine, construction materials, fuel etc, and the potential tariffs to be collected off survivors benefits, and opportunities to reestablish new legitimate business ventures in the vacuum.

in the EU, the empire made imperial credits, getting rid of the old republic credits. as a result, most the republic credits have been destroyed, or thrown out or what ever. this could drive up their cost. consider our world. in our world, in America at least, there are those who collect confederate currency. it's been 18 years plus since the republic fell. there could easily be a collectors market for it. I know this has been done away with by Disney, but until we have something to replacing with I don't see the empire using "republic credits"

A great deal depends on how they are represented in the game. Do you have paper currency? Do you have coins?

Or is it all just binary digits on a cred stick or on a data pad? If it’s like Bitcoin or Dogecoin, is that exchange still in business even?

CIS and Republic credits were both backed by the same bank.

And there's that as well. There was that late season story line in The Clone Wars that showed how the Banking Clan was profiting from both sides of the war, and Armadilla's boyfriend became head of the bank.  Then it was all stripped away when the Republic came in force to take control of the place.

Okay, so here's what I'm doing...

The PCs find an old light freighter adrift in space and explore it.  (I guess blowing it up in target practice, or just leaving it alone and moving on are options as well.)  The ship belonged to a Clone Wars era spy/agent who met with foul play and betrayal, and the ship has been drifting for the last 20 years.

Inside, is a hidden smuggling compartment containing the loots.  I was thinking some fake IDs, a blaster pistol, and a bunch of credits.  Sort of like when the spies on TV shows and movies open their hidden safe boxes to reveal that sort of stuff. My thought was that there might be a substantial amount of money present, but it would be in Republic and/or Seppie creds and not worth a whole lot.

The encounter would lead into solving a 20-year-old mystery of what happened to the spy guy, and I'm thinking about the ship and trying to figure out how to dress it up for the situation.

Ideas?

That sounds like a great encounter. Throw in some credits, but don't make it a substantial amount. The item that could have an ambiguous value.  Something like a couple bottles of Pre-Clone Wars Wine/Brandy. It would have been something harder to get in the Clone Wars due to the planet it is made on being occupied by the Seps. Now the war is over it might still be limited Quantities out there keeping the price worth something, but not as valuable as it once was. 

Adding to what I already posted. You could look at it as the Republic and Separatist Credits as a way to date the contents of the ship (The could be one that is fairly common) and help lead to the mystery.

I say that with the idea that the players may or may not recognize the markings on the credits so they might even have to look them up.

Adding to what I already posted. You could look at it as the Republic and Separatist Credits as a way to date the contents of the ship (The could be one that is fairly common) and help lead to the mystery.

I say that with the idea that the players may or may not recognize the markings on the credits so they might even have to look them up.

Take this a step further, and make them a more regional currency (or more than one!). This could provide additional clues, or be used to emphasize some aspect of the victim's vocation.