Kimbo81

3 Star Distroyers?

what do you guys think about having 3 star distroyers 

1 V2SD with Tarkin   120pts

2 G2SD                    124pts

for your fighters

Soontir                      18pts

3 Tie Advanced        36pts

this list of course gives you 3 ships when most imps will have only 2, and i hope it will split the rebel squadron with anti swarm lists, or is the swarm the best and only way to go? without trying it out on the table, what do you guys think?

I think a VSD and 2 Gladiators will be quite popular on the imperial side. Personally planning to use:

Tarkin

VSD2 w/ leading shots

GSD2

GSD1 w/ demolished title

6 TIE/ln

A cool 300, and thematic in every tie can be carried through hyper by the caps.

The first list, though, is packing two Gladiator-IIs, so it will throw a fair bit of anti-squadron dice.  I think it could work out, particularly if the Soontir hit-squad hangs in for some close support.

Of course, there is always the risk that the Rebel player splits his fighters into small groups and approaches from all around, rendering your capital fire against them somewhat neutered, but I guess you could always split up the Soontir squad and pin them down "ship-to-ship..." Though those TIE Advanced will struggle to kill anything, they should be able to tickle-fight some of the Rebel squadrons long enough to delay most of their firepower.

Good Lord, I am so excited for this game...

I was looking more from a defensive screen view.

If the intention is to run the TIE Advanced with Soontir to build on his special counter ability, then that means keeping them all together in a ball - otherwise there is little point in having 3 advanced, one would still do the same job in terms of taking fire and triggering his effect, yes they would last longer though.

This would make a fighter ball that would engage one, or at best a couple of Rebel squadrons, but all the other rebel fighters could just fly around it once its engaged - so effectively then yes, you are solely relying on your capital ships to defend themselves. It just seems horribly inefficient to tie up 3 Advanced squads in this way.

The advantage of the 6 interceptors is that it gives you 6 different points where you can tie up Rebel fighters - particuarly bombers, so that your Star Destroyers are not having to fend them off all at once, or ignore the capital ships to focus on fighter swarms.

Perhaps the best option would be a mix of both - Soontir and an advanced, and as many extra interceptors that you can afford.

Edited by MaverickNZ

I'm still thinking of using:

3x VSD 1's  @ 219pts

7x Tie Fighters @ 56 pts

Motti @ 24 pts

total == 299

I might even sacrifice a tie fighter for initiative. I'm really thinking some of these objectives would be awesome with 3 vsds in your fleet. if you have initiative you can give your opponent first turn and have him select one of these:

hyperspace assault

minefields

advanced gunnery

Edited by oddeye

I won't be sold on bombers until I can play them and see what kind of strategies work. They seem very vulnerable to me, at least trying to mix them with a 3 VSD list were you have very limited points for fighters.

I won't be sold on bombers until I can play them and see what kind of strategies work. They seem very vulnerable to me, at least trying to mix them with a 3 VSD list were you have very limited points for fighters.

A 3 Vic list would need to spend all its extra points on TIE Fighters. I was comparing 3 Vics to 2 Vics + Bombers. Bombers are more cost effective in terms of fire power, but have different uses (and limited range).

I was thinking of flying the three vsds all in a line with some space between them

............V...........V...........V...........

of course the mission / situation and having actually played a game might drastically change my initial game plan but if you fan em out a bit enemy ships would have to pass between two vsd's to get behind which would be really deadly or fly all the way around.  If your enemy fleet tries to all go for one on the flank the other two vsds can close in on their flank.

anyways its all just an idea, who knows till I actually get a few games under the ol belt. ha

Pincer formation seems better to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------V--------------------------------V----------------

-------------------------------V---------------------------------

Whis allows the rear VSD to provide cover for either of the other SDs, Helpful for those Corvettes who run past to get in the rear arc. Plus if they go for the center the two other Vics will have an extra turn (more or less) to react and get into covering position for the center (plus an additional turn of fire from all three ships on the approach).

The Line provides more concentrated fire-power though, but I think the support the V formation provides is very helpful.

You could get into a circle of death with 3 Vics where each covers the others rear with their front arc. Not having played I'm not sure how hard it would be to get into that formation.

Ye olde wet navy variant of the aviators' thatch weave.  Maybe orbiting around an outpost, or with the squadrons on reserve in the center of the formation.

Anything that comes at the rear of one Destroyer will catch the nose guns of one VSD, and the side armament of a second.

the only reason I am hesitant to buy all three (getting two for sure) is the fact that sooner or later a large ship will come out (Imperial class star d anyone?) and I know I'll want to field that.. I'll still end up with three victories no doubt but that is a thought to consider.