Sign in to follow this  
Englishpete

IG-88's in Interceptor mode

I have come to believe that the main strength of the IG-88's will be in a commanding array of movement options.

To max these out I am testing the following list out.

IG88-B Aggressor (50)
Expert Handling, Advanced Sensors, “Mangler” Cannon, Seismic Charges, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters

IG88-D Aggressor (50)
Expert Handling, Advanced Sensors, “Mangler” Cannon, Seismic Charges, Inertial Dampeners, IG-2000, Autothrusters

Using Adv. Sensors well here is the key and doing so allows you some very crazy move options whilst still having a balance of defense and attack.

I'll post more as I fly it more.

I don't think this will work quite as well, but let me know how it goes.

The big problem is expert handling is taking up the elite slot.

So no ptl.

This leaves you with 1 action.

Unlike interceptors with ptl they can boost and barrel roll, here it's one or the other

Advanced sensors is pretty sweet on them, but in this case again you'll either barrel roll, or boost and leaves you with no offensive, or defensive action, not even fire control systems to follow up on Ig88b ability.

If you had Ig88c then at least you could get a free evade with the boost action.

It would be nice to have that barrel roll option, but i think ptl or predator is a better use for the elite slot

Maybe switch out advanced sensors for fire control systems if you want to use expert handling.

At least that way you can make better use of Ig88b ability.

You can barrel roll attack, gain target lock and attack again if you miss, which is more likely with no offensive actions

But then you do lose the awesome sauce advanced sensors

Edited by Krynn007

I'm pretty sure he's aware of the limitations ;)

Hmmm.  Expert handling eh?   I discounted it initially due to its situational usefulness.  But with advance sensors.....could be very interesting.  Especially with D's ability, you've got a effing ton of options and are much less likely to get blocked.  Maybe never?  Trouble is, unless the meta changes back to low PS as the norm, PS 6 makes it tough to get the most out of the barrel rolls against higher PS...

I'm still in the experimental stage with Scum. This appeals to me because of my love of maneuvering, PS6 is a disadvantage to an extent, but it is possible to move into areas where you know the enemy simply can't even with a higher PS.

I get that I am sacrificing a level of attack, but that may not be every turn and so is worth the try.

I've been flying B&C, both with:

Exp Handling

Fire Control Sys

Autothrusters

Heavy Laser Cannon

Inertial Dampeners

IG Title

Absolutely love the options that Exp Handling gives, PtL is a big miss but with B's re-roll ability it mitigates the lack of dice modifiers.

Been playing a lot of swarms recently it seems, so Adv Sensors would have been great (due to all the bumps) but Fire Control is awesome.

For me the toss up is between PtL/Adv Sensors and Exp Handling/FCS, those are the two builds I've had the most fun and success with.

To those suggesting FCS or AC with Expert Handling, remember that Advanced Sensors is key to benefit the most out of Expert Handling: You do a Barrel Roll, then reveal a green maneuver to clear stress immediatly. It leaves you unstressed for next turn. With Expert Handling+Boost+Advanced Sensors, your ship become a Phantom lite.

The only thing lacking might be firepower, since you have no way to modify your rolls. Hopefully, B gunner might help attenuate this weakness.

I tried a Expert Handling IG, and while I see the value, it is not my cup of tea. I still prefer running it with Predator. The barrel Roll came in handy maybe twice in the game, but I could have deal without it. Those reroll though, especially against BBBBZ or Panic attack, two natural hunters of the IG, will always be useful.

Edited by Red Castle

I run BC with identical loadout

IG2k

VI

Mangler

Ion

FCS

AT

Inertial Dampners

98 points

The idea is it gives me a lot of options on how to deal with different scenarios. It also is very stress independent as all upgrades function regardless of stress. This build has taken down a number of fleets that would logically be optimized against it. It has solid victories against chirpy fel, three amigos of doom, bbbb, bbbbz, fat han, super dash, and a number of others. I have about a 70% win rate with it (the dice will screw you on occasion) but overall I'm pretty happy with it. The trick is you need to know when to engage and when to disengage. Never take 4b/4bz head on for example. Come in at angle, and then bank and boost away. That way you limit return shots while maximizing outgoing shots. Trading position or control for damage is also highly recommended as a 2 ship list, it goes down quickly under sustained fire. If you do feel you need to play aggressively, make sure to put the C in the more vulnerable position. Losing the B results in a sharp drop in damage output and will probably cost you the game.

Had a bit of success with C and D today, running adv sensors, wingman. Allowed for back to back s loops while still getting actions (mostly boost evade). Increased options for final position, you miss out on offensive actions but will often be avoiding opponents fire arcs.

AGGRESSOR: · IG-88C (36)

Wingman (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

AGGRESSOR: · IG-88D (36)

Wingman (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

Had a bit of success with C and D today, running adv sensors, wingman. Allowed for back to back s loops while still getting actions (mostly boost evade). Increased options for final position, you miss out on offensive actions but will often be avoiding opponents fire arcs.

AGGRESSOR: · IG-88C (36)

Wingman (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

AGGRESSOR: · IG-88D (36)

Wingman (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Advanced Sensors (3)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

Did they hand out enough damage CowboyJesus?  I looked at a similar list, but I went for B rather than C in an effort to keep the damage output high.

eh,

Aggressors do need a great range of movement to enable that one arc, but imo it really isn't their greatest strength so much as a deterrent to their greatest weakness (one arc + fatness)

unlike interceptors, Aggressors can actually straight-up steamroll through quite a few opponents with high damage cannons and guaranteed defenses ala thrusters and evades. Without highly modified attacks (predator, sensors, B. or FCS B) they become far less frightening.

Also, I recommend using C if you're using sensors. You'll be boosting a lot more with sensors because it'll just crack your options wide open, so you might as well take the free evade along with it. Every turn with a guaranteed damage cancel is another point added to the aggressors' already amazing profile.

Edited by ficklegreendice

I run BC with identical loadout

IG2k

VI

Mangler

Ion

FCS

AT

Inertial Dampners

98 points

The idea is it gives me a lot of options on how to deal with different scenarios. It also is very stress independent as all upgrades function regardless of stress. This build has taken down a number of fleets that would logically be optimized against it. It has solid victories against chirpy fel, three amigos of doom, bbbb, bbbbz, fat han, super dash, and a number of others. I have about a 70% win rate with it (the dice will screw you on occasion) but overall I'm pretty happy with it. The trick is you need to know when to engage and when to disengage. Never take 4b/4bz head on for example. Come in at angle, and then bank and boost away. That way you limit return shots while maximizing outgoing shots. Trading position or control for damage is also highly recommended as a 2 ship list, it goes down quickly under sustained fire. If you do feel you need to play aggressively, make sure to put the C in the more vulnerable position. Losing the B results in a sharp drop in damage output and will probably cost you the game.

Ran this last week in league and went 2-0. Really missed Predator though. I still feel B&C with identical Title, Mangler, Aututhrusters, Dampeners, Predator and Advanced Sensors is the best play. I've run three different double IG-88 builds and am around 75% winning pct.