Sign in to follow this  
GM Hooly

Interpret This...

Oops didn't see the net failure part re-reading this. I'd allow another re-roll with the dub-tri and or maybe have something cool happen with the armor like some have previously posted. Since one roll and fail means nope not lowly going to happen the dub-tri maybe means but you realize there is something else to this and you spend hours graphing another way to try for another roll next roll stands. Or maybe he didn't modify it but he unlocked something in the armor he overlooked and this could start a new adventure sees for better armor or he unlocked another hard point with the dub-Tri with my previous thought.

Double Triumph should have some kind of effect to counter (but not directly negate) a failure with a threat.

The nice fallback on interpreting skill checks is they're always directly opposed by the difficulty of accomplishing a specific goal, in this case modifying the armor to look like a newer model. The implication of that goal is there is no further 'ands' 'buts' or other problems to the attempt.

You ever set about to fix or install something only to have it not come out right? Something rattles and sticks after installing, or the paint dries weird or it breaks after two uses? You convince yourself you were building an end table the whole time because you cannot in all that is holy figure out how the hell the chair's back was supposed to attach to the seat?

So, perhaps the failure means you either couldn't get it to quite look right or it's been damaged/won't hold up after time or through wear & tear. Threat can be used to add strain, but for extended scenes I prefer to create delays or increase monetary costs.

Now the Triumphs are where they can counter the failure of the goal at hand. It doesn't look like Stormtrooper armor but it does closely resemble a particular variant used by veteran officers (which could draw complicated attention from other officers). Or it's managed to gain a hardpoint after all the cutting and reshaping and expenditure of supplies. With 2 Triumphs maybe it's gained two positive effects, or one is just really particularly well done.

Now the Triumphs are where they can counter the failure of the goal at hand. It doesn't look like Stormtrooper armor but it does closely resemble a particular variant used by veteran officers (which could draw complicated attention from other officers).

That’s much like a thought I had as I was reading some of the above comments.

No, it doesn’t look like newer Stormtrooper armor, but it does look like a piece of Clone trooper armor that had been modified by its owner in a particular way to provide a particular advantage, in a way that was common amongst a certain semi-famous group of clones. Anyone who was familiar with that type of armor and newer prototypes would see that.

Of course, some more experienced people might actually know the guy who originally came up with that improvement, and they might wonder what he’s doing here. Or why he’s wearing his old armor. Or how he’s still alive.

Now the Triumphs are where they can counter the failure of the goal at hand. It doesn't look like Stormtrooper armor but it does closely resemble a particular variant used by veteran officers (which could draw complicated attention from other officers).

That’s much like a thought I had as I was reading some of the above comments.No, it doesn’t look like newer Stormtrooper armor, but it does look like a piece of Clone trooper armor that had been modified by its owner in a particular way to provide a particular advantage, in a way that was common amongst a certain semi-famous group of clones. Anyone who was familiar with that type of armor and newer prototypes would see that.Of course, some more experienced people might actually know the guy who originally came up with that improvement, and they might wonder what he’s doing here. Or why he’s wearing his old armor. Or how he’s still alive.

That last point seems more like the result of a despair to me. Just sayin'

I do however like the notion that it still looks like One Armour bit one that is still worn by certain units - and I know how to mesh that in. Mechanically, I'm sticking with upgrading any charm, coercion or deception checks twice (one for each Triumph).

I do however like the notion that it still looks like One Armour bit one that is still worn by certain units - and I know how to mesh that in. Mechanically, I'm sticking with upgrading any charm, coercion or deception checks twice (one for each Triumph).

The result could certainly look like a particular prototype that preceded the current Stormtrooper armor, but maybe that prototype was worn by a number of different people and maybe belonged to a particular group but never a specific person in that group.

So, it looks different from the Clone trooper armor, doesn’t look quite like the modern Stormtrooper armor, but isn’t necessarily tied to a particular person and doesn’t necessarily have any negative connotations — beyond not being current modern Stormtrooper armor.

That’s much like a thought I had as I was reading some of the above comments.No, it doesn’t look like newer Stormtrooper armor, but it does look like a piece of Clone trooper armor that had been modified by its owner in a particular way to provide a particular advantage, in a way that was common amongst a certain semi-famous group of clones. Anyone who was familiar with that type of armor and newer prototypes would see that.Of course, some more experienced people might actually know the guy who originally came up with that improvement, and they might wonder what he’s doing here. Or why he’s wearing his old armor. Or how he’s still alive.

i don't think that would be a despair after all they are disguised in that situation and you could allow them a chance to then pretend to be whomever they're mistaken for (ie the failures represent they aren't disguised as a normal storm trooper but the triumph still allows them to be disguised even if they now need to come up with some clever story lest they're found out).

A despair would be more like they walk up in the armor and it's so blatantly modified that the storm troopers either attack on site or draw the player in playing along like they don't know theyre not supposed to be there only to arrest them when they vastly out number the disguised player or it falls apart mid job.

tl;dr thread:

You could either have them fail, or just complicate their result. The rules allow for either. See pages 9 and 24 of the EotE core rulebook, which provide both concrete explanation of results and the leeway for interrpretation with GM and Player discussion.

There isn't right or wrong. Everyone have a fruit smootie.

Its the despair that you don't see immediately, but the GM knows "just happened" and that the PCs will learn about soon enough.

I used one of these. I ran an Imperial game, and a ISB Agent Player misred a Imperial Governor's reaction, Despaired, so I had him think that the Governor was complicit in a plot.

Turned out he wasn't. But they didn't learn that until after they tortured the guy to near death, failed to capture a Rebel provocatuer, and had to quell a local xenophobic uprising. THEN they got reprimanded because they tortured a Governor to near death.

Fun times. Bwahahaha!