Sign in to follow this  
Cenix

Need advice on gambling

I've tried searching the forums and internets for some help for this and came up short, so If you can link me to a topic that would be just as great. 

I'm looking for some help on running gambling in EotE. I just started up my first campaign yesterday with one of the players playing a "Doc Holiday" type of course wanted to throw down some cards now that they were visiting Cloud City.

We went with the Gambling sidebar in the rule book but ended up finding the mechanics rather lacking. It was basically just 1 roll to squeeze money out of the npc and even force more money out based on advantages... I just didn't think it made much sense and sort of ended up telling the player that he couldn't use his advantage to get more money since, the poor guy he was playing simply didn't have any more (making me feel like bad GM for spoiling a player's fun :( ).

I would like to make gambling a part of the game to support this character's "needs", but not making it be a just a cash cow (this was also a concern from one of the other players that he would have an advantage is that regard over the others on the group). I mean, should I maybe limit the amount of credits he could win per session?
I did start out being afraid of handing them too much cash at the start of the campaign, but since the very first encounter was space combat and they took hull damage I can see that repairs are gonna be a great money sink :) 

Maybe it will run better using the Sabacc rules from Under a Black Sun. Maybe I just need some advice on how to play it out :)

How have any of you run gambling in your games? 

I try to avoid gambling in my games ever since I accidentally had my players gain a fortune in credits. I let them bet on the Cloud Car race in Jewel of Yavin, so they bet heavily on their team mates who were flying. Obviously they won, but with being unknown outsiders the odds were against them, thus my players made a bucket load of credits...that I am still having to come up with ways to get rid of.

As for card based gambling, the Sabacc rules in Under a Black Sun are good, though having never gambled in my life I wasn't really able to flesh them out much. My advice would be to have a few personalities at the table so you have a mix of people, with at least one NPC trying to cheat.

The alternative my players actually came up with was downloading a Sabacc app onto their phone!

Also, this very recent thread helps: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/136514-help-with-running-gambling-scenes/

Edited by Max Outrider

Keep it challenging. Professional gamblers expect to lose money one out of three trips to the table, so stacking the odds against your gambler character are not out of line. Also, do not be afraid to let the character go bust. Good rolls can lead to a lot of credits. Bad rolls should do the opposite. The modular encounter in Suns of Fortune is a good place to start with how to set up a good gambling scene.