Sign in to follow this  
CobaltWraith

Minefields (Navigation) strategies and fleets

I think this is probably one of the best Objectives to take. It offers a huge advantage to the second player. You can chop the board in half with this, or just put a long line in front the enemies entire board edge and deal some practically guaranteed damage on turn 1.

Yeah, I doubt that this one will be anyone's first choice of objectives. It can be super strong against rebels as their ships don't have that high of HP, and assuming that this game uses the same word types as xwing, dealing goes under the shields, so it could almost one shot a corvette.

It can be super strong against rebels as their ships don't have that high of HP, and assuming that this game uses the same word types as xwing, dealing goes under the shields, so it could almost one shot a corvette.

On the other hand though, Imp fleets will typically have larger ships so it will be harder for them to avoid. 

Minefields will be very useful for Imperial players, IMO. The mines can be used to funnel the weaker rebels into firing lanes that allow the superior front firing arc of the Victory Star Destroyers to dominate.

My strategy would be to choke up the board as much as possible down to 1 or 2 firing lanes. Place 1 Victory in each lane and my first command would be speed (not sure of the correct term) to reduce speed to zero. Allowing me to pound the rebels that don't choose to go into the mine fields.

minefielddiagram.png

I was interested to see in the picture that the sides of the boards (outside the 3x4 setup zone) are going to be free, so you could (if you had a fast mobile force), look at going "stuff you" to your opponent and going around the side of the entire minefield. You could try that on this map by deploying to the far right of the box, facing to the right, so you would do a hard left turn to head up the flank of the board, making the Star Destroyers have to turn towards the minefield to face you with their front arcs and hopefully getting some obstructed shots in the way too (aswell as potentially getting themselves close to those dangerous mines).

Then loop around the top where there is more room near their deployment zone, hopefully out-turning the Star Destroyers in the process and coming in behind them. During this you could use your fighters to engage the TIE defensive screens as they do not activate the mines, (not being ships).

Thats at least the way I would be tempted to try it as a rebel player with that type of force - what do you guys think?

Edited by MaverickNZ

Depends what I brought. I might start at a 45 facing the left side with an MK-II, run  a decked out Jainas Light through the minefield, and toss fighters up the middle and left side. It's not like I'll be able to build precisely for the scenario, but I think that at the very least I'd point my corvettes in a more useful direction than what is in that picture :)

P.S. There is a separate thread for that thought here