Sign in to follow this  
CobaltWraith

Hyperspace Assault (Defense) strategies and fleets

I note the article says you could get flanked by a Victory-1 Class Star Destroyer. I thought that would be a large ship. So if it isn't and there is no mistake.... then what would be considered large???....

I note the article says you could get flanked by a Victory-1 Class Star Destroyer. I thought that would be a large ship. So if it isn't and there is no mistake.... then what would be considered large???....

Nice catch! I guess that solves our wondering about what size the VSD is. It looks like no "large" ships were released as part of this wave, they're planning ahead.

Edited by CobaltWraith

The most common theory is that Large ships are the eventual ISD and MC80/90s.

The interesting thing about this card is that it gives an advantage strictly to the second player (i.e. the one who brings it) while also not adding any new way to score points. So if you bring this card, and your opponent chooses it, you have a pretty big advantage. Especially as Imps. This is an amazing way to get a VSD into close range quickly. Put one of the Objective Tokens near the enemy edge, then immediately warp in a VSD-I. Unload tons of damage on the enemy, then they face the choice of standing and fighting, or moving forward and allowing the Vic to flank them.

Nice catch! I guess that solves our wondering about what size the VSD is. It looks like no "large" ships were released as part of this wave, they're planning ahead.

It could be no large ships were released, or perhaps no small ones were, and Fat Hans will rule them all after the next wave or two. Again. :P

My gladiators will really like this objective. I may have to pick up a second one to use that "use black dice at medium range in backarc" title that I can't recall at the moment. Insidious?

Edited by withershadow

This objective is looking really tempting for B-wings to shine along with an Assault Frigate. Gives a chance to really get in the thick of it early. I intend to play the bid war and hope I get to choose the 1st player in most situations. I don't need the heavy Imperial ships having any advantage I don't want them to.

As a defender in this situation once again I feel B-wings being left back to defend against the Imperial flank would be of great use. My slow movement doesn't cause me any issues in that regard. The trouble is the enemy squadrons eliminating my B-wing defence early. In general I would not want to have to focus on defending my rear when the enemy will be in front of me in equal or greater force. This will require more thought.

Edited by Wes Janson

This objective is looking really tempting for B-wings to shine along with an Assault Frigate. Gives a chance to really get in the thick of it early. 

Yeah, this one does seem to have B-Wing written all over it :)  

I think that there is a hidden advantage to the first player in this one. There's only 3 tokens, min range 3 from the board edge, that are placed before deployment. So the second player has to cover 5'6'' of width (a guess on range 3 distances) with 3 tokens. Then the first player gets to counter deploy. In reality, I see this as deploying a third of your fleet in 3 potential positions as second player, so the first player can just avoid them if they are too close together. And if I make you wait till turn 3-4 to deploy a third of your force, I'll have a huge advantage for half the game.

I really like the mechanic this one brings, as well as the out thinking meta it'll require for both sides

The first player is a little limited in their ability to counter deploy as they don't know which of the 3 places the second player will use. The second player can also use this to try and force their opponent to counter deploy, so there is a nice element of bluffing going on. Either way, it looks to be an interesting one.

The first player is a little limited in their ability to counter deploy as they don't know which of the 3 places the second player will use. The second player can also use this to try and force their opponent to counter deploy, so there is a nice element of bluffing going on. Either way, it looks to be an interesting one.

I'd argue the first player will dictate which one, depending on they're deployment. If they are spread out to cover the board, and you load up one half, only 2 could potentially be used, and that will probably be decided by how the first player reacts and moves. There's also the set speed to 0 and wait in deployment. A bit of a jerk move, but so far I haven't seen anything that would stop that.

sitting idle waiting for the ambush may be no help, seeing as the jump point can be moved each round. Means imperial fighters may be forced to patrol the objective areas. It also allows the faster rebels to move into a flank position while the Imperials sit in wait.

the jump point can be moved each round. 

Ah I missed that bit when I read it. That changes things a bit in favour of the second player, allowing them to adapt as the battle unfolds and wait for an opportune moment to ambush. Again, you can bluff a bit here by moving the objectives to hopefully force the opponent's ships to certain areas.

Ah I missed that bit when I read it. That changes things a bit in favour of the second player, allowing them to adapt as the battle unfolds and wait for an opportune moment to ambush. Again, you can bluff a bit here by moving the objectives to hopefully force the opponent's ships to certain areas.

Mind you, the longer you wait, the longer your remaining fleet is outgunned - quite heavily if you held something hefty like a Victory or Assault Frigate and supporting fighters back in reserve.

Mind you, the longer you wait, the longer your remaining fleet is outgunned - quite heavily if you held something hefty like a Victory or Assault Frigate and supporting fighters back in reserve.

Only if the enemy is in range, and if they are they had to have moved towards you, in which case if you placed at least one of your markers wisely you now have clear shot to drop that heavy hitter right behind the enemy. If you place the markers well then Player 1 will have a hard time finding a route that doesn't leave him flanked.

Personally this is the objective I am looking most forward to playing.

I am very interested to play both sides of this objective, because it just seems like madness. I have a feeling that this one will be very commonly used... maybe the most common defense card due to the seemingly exclusive advantage to the second player? With both Star Destroyers only having a single shield point in the rear hull zone, does an Imperial player ever really elect to take this objective as first player? I mean, you would have to be very confident at your early advantage to take something off the board quickly with the threat of being flanked by a fresh ship to the fight.

Actually, would a better question be "in what situation do you choose this card as the first player?" A Rebel mirror match with lots of maneuverability where you are comfortable that you can make it difficult enough to give the second player an advantageous jump option? Maybe it's okay to choose running a Corvette swarm against double Victories? As Withershadow pointed out, I definitely don't want to give Gladiators this kind of jump on any of my ships and especially not to Insidious.

It feels like just about any player in the second player's shoes would find something they love about having this be the chosen objective.

You also have to think, first player still gets first activation after they deployment, so popping in at range one ain't always so good, also the capital ship will get an opportunity to move away, and turn to avoid the rear arc.

Sure, but if they are traveling speed 2 then unless they have a navigation token or command they won't be able to go far. Even if they do run away, that means the are moving sub-optimally as concerns the rest of your fleet. Sure player 1 might be able to mitigate this if they do well, but it is a huge advantage to player 2. If you drop a Vic 2 right behind an enemy then chances are you will be in medium range for a 6 dice attack, plus you get to set all 3 command dials right then and there.

Oooh, hadn't thought about waiting to set all three command dials when the ship enters the play area. That gives larger ships a dramatic advantage, which offsets the loss of firepower at the beginning of the game.