Sign in to follow this  
Morridini

Traveling to coordinates in the Unknown Regions

Hi.

I'm just curious as to how we would handle traveling to a specific set of coordinates in the Unknown Regions (UR). As far as I am understanding the UR there are no hyperlanes mapped for this region, so we would not necessarily know what path to take to a set of coordinates into the UR.

I'm imagining people doing mini-jumps every now and then to prevent jumping into stars and so on, but I'm curious as to what other players have done (or read in the myriad of Star Wars books etc)?

Cheers.

It hasn't come up in any of my games but it is an interesting question. It would be similar to what ever scouts have to do when exploring new systems. 

Either it is purely an educated estimate, ie. These must be the coordinates of a system, I will jump here and check, (This is what the D'argon? twins were doing in the Old Republic era comic about discovering the Sith)

Or, as you suggest, micro-jumps and plotting a new jump each time, that sounds the most reasonable to me.

Unless the journey itself is an integral part of the story you're telling I'd simply upgrade the difficulty several times, pile on 3-4 setback dice and have travel times that takes a few days. Even though realistically the trip might consist of several shorter jumps to get from A to B, I'd stick with rolling just once to keep things from bogging down too much.

Oh, and prepare some events and encounters for when Threats and Despair shows up on the dice. We're talking marauding alien fleets, ancient deep-space probe droids, abandoned hyperspace beacons, uncharted asteroids, rogue planets, and so on.

Good suggestions.

I'm planning to start a proper UR campaign in fact, so I don't mind the players spending a lot of time getting to their coordinates (they'll stumble upon a whole lot of shite before they ever reach their coordinates), I'm just trying to see how I should set it up.

Of course I could just have them always plot a "straight" jump to the coordinates, and let them get pulled out of Hyperspace and get rerouted along the way.

EDIT: The forums have a profanity filter? Seems a bit strict if it filters s-h-i-t, which is used as a synonym with "stuff"

Edited by Morridini

Using previous material as a hint, the unknown regions aren't totally uncharted, they just aren't charted by people who have uploaded that information to BoSS.

Rather then having the players randomly exploring, you could start them off with a hyperroute, then allow them to find, buy, and recover additional star charts from local sources within the region.

Edited by Ghostofman

The way scouts do it is they either send remote probes out along a path making micro jumps to hyperspace, or the pilot plots micro jumps out to the ships maximum sensor range records their data and repeats while recording their path and and sensor readings as they go.  They then share that data with BoSS or the Survey Corp, or they just trade the information to other parties that are interested in that sort of thing.  Also keep in mind that finding new systems is not strictly limited to Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, as only the Slice up to the Expansion Region has been fully explored.

Imperials tend to keep new planets they discover to themselves for secret bases, exploiting the local population for slave labor or raw materials.  Corporations additionally use the worlds they pay scouts for for raw materials, secret research projects, exploitation etc.  Rebel Alliance uses them as safe worlds and secret bases.  Criminal elements use them for much the same as the above three.  Then there are those few legitimate sources that use them for colonization.