Sign in to follow this  
UnfairBanana

Common Wave 6 Questions (look here first)

Since we keep seeing the same couple questions pop up 6 times a day, I figured I'd just compile a list of the most frequently asked ones.
If you don't see your question here, please also try the search bar at the top of the page. It's the one next to the Fantasy Flight logo that says "Search"

Q. Can the Andrasta drop more than one bomb per turn?
A. Nope. A ship can only drop one bomb per turn. Proximity Mines are also bombs, so if you drop a seismic/proton bomb before moving, you may not drop a mine afterwards. Not even with PtL or EI

Q. When an IG-88 dies, do others lose his ability?

A. This needs to be FAQ'd, as there isn't a definite answer one way or the other. Many, myself included, feel that once it's off the board, it should no longer apply. Logically, if the droids transmit their abilities to each other, they should quit transmitting when they become a fireball, but that's fluff and some people don't care about that in a game. Wait for an official answer. Until then, play it how you feel it should be played, and let a TO decide before a tourney.

Discuss here

Q. Can we use cross-faction dials? (substituting an Imperial dial for the Firespray when playing Scum, for example)

A. Yes! FFG has changed their minds about their previous decision and done us all a favor by making it okay. Check it out here.

Q. Can I use Advanced Sensors to boost/BR before dropping my bomb?
A. Lot of debate here too. Advanced sensors happens before you reveal your dial. Bomb-dropping happens when you reveal, therefore AS takes place first, so yes. 

Q. What happens when an IG-88 takes an Injured Pilot card?
A.There seems to have been a response from Alex Davy on this one via email:
"That is correct, the pilot ability is lost for both ships. However, the Aggressor that has received the Injured Pilot Damage card CAN use the pilot ability of the other Aggressor."

Of course, it isn't really official until it's in the FAQ, but this is how it's intended to work.

Here is a link to the thread where this was posted.

Q. How does the timing of K4 work when you overlap a debris token?
A. FAQ needed. K4's effect applies "after executing a green maneuver." The Stress from the Debris cloud is applied during the "Check Pilot Stress" step. K4 would be executed immediately after the move, preceding the stress gained from the cloud. 
Maybe I'm missing the point of this question, because I don't think it has one. K4 states "acquire a target lock," not "perform a free target lock action," so you could TL even with a stress.

Q.How does Inertial Dampeners work with a stressed ship doing a red maneuver?

A. If the ship is already stressed and reveals a red maneuver, the dial is given to the opponent as usual. When it is returned to the player, that player will now use ID to override whatever maneuver he would then be doing.

Q. What does the "instead of attacking" trigger mean for Feedback array and can you use it when you are on an obstacle or don't have an enemy in arc [or can you use it against a ship you have overlapped]?

A. If the ship has no valid shot, it may still use Feedback Array. Taken from the Illicit Dealings article:

A Feedback Array allows you to damage any one target within Range “1.” However, to use the Feedback Array, you must forego your attack and receive one ion token. [...] You might find yourself outflanked, lacking a shot altogether; or you might want to land just one more damage on a ship that you’re touching, in order to finally destroy it.

Disclaimer: A preview article is not an official ruling. This is, however, the closest we can get until then. Judging from that article, FFG seems to have intended for Feedback Array to work like this.

Credit goes to StephenEsven for finding the answer to this one!

Q. How does R4 Agromech work with Blaster Turret?
A. You spend the focus token to use blaster turret. This is where you get your target lock, before you roll your dice. Now you can roll, then modify them with the TL you just received.

Q. When does Accuracy Corrector happen?

A. This one is in need of FAQ clarification. EIther:

1) AC is part of the attacker's modify dice step, as implied by the " Your dice cannot be modified again during this round" clause at the bottom of the card. Is there anything else that would modify the results after the modification steps but before damage is dealt?
2) AC takes place during the "Compare Results" because of a line on page 12 of the rule book: "All abilities that allow players to cancel dice must be resolved at the start of the “Compare Results” step."

Thread discussing this topic found here

Certain questions simply need an FAQ to establish an official ruling, and I'd rather we not fight about it here. Just wait for the new FAQ.

Edited by UnfairBanana

How does the timing of K4 work when you overlap a debris token?

How does Inertial Dampeners work with a stressed ship doing a red maneuver?

What does the "instead of attacking" trigger mean for Feedback array and can you use it when you are on an obstacle or don't have an enemy in arc?

Edited by Sergovan

Can you add Feedback Array to your list? This is a good list so far of items that need clarifying (Except for the dials which is firmly in the tournament rules as a YES and has already happened at the Store Champs this past weekend). We need an official FAQ ruling on IF Feedback array can be used:

1. When you are on a rock.

2. When you are touching an enemy ship and do NOT have a legal shot at anyone else.

Thanks! :)

Can you add Feedback Array to your list? This is a good list so far of items that need clarifying (Except for the dials which is firmly in the tournament rules as a YES and has already happened at the Store Champs this past weekend). We need an official FAQ ruling on IF Feedback array can be used:

1. When you are on a rock.

2. When you are touching an enemy ship and do NOT have a legal shot at anyone else.

Thanks! :)

It's there :D

WIth the dials, it was worded strangely in the FAQ and I didn't wanna post something in case I'd misread it. Will give it an update.

I just went back to the Illicit Dealings article mentioning Feedback Array. They actually answer a lot of the questions. 

A Feedback Array allows you to damage any one target within Range “1.” However, to use the Feedback Array, you must forego your attack and receive one ion token. Even though you’d be trading away your attacks for just one damage, that’s a trade in which the value is easy enough to identify. You might find yourself outflanked, lacking a shot altogether; or you might want to land just one more damage on a ship that you’re touching, in order to finally destroy it. The ion token, however, is another matter. Ionized ships are forced to utilize straight speed “1” maneuvers, which leaves them exposed and predictable. Still, there are definitely times even the ion token is an acceptable cost. For starters, if you equip IG-2000 with a Feedback Array, the first ion token won’t ionize your ship. Then, since the Feedback Array costs just two squad points, one might imagine equipping it on up to seven Binayre Pirates who could then simply fly within Range “1” of the target of their choice and obliterate it, no dice required.

So you can use Feedback Array if you have no valid target for an attack, and you can use it against enemies you are touching.

Hi All

I'm happy to wait for the FAQ on the above, but can't find a post regarding Initiative.

My question is, in a game with only Rebel and Scum ships playing who has the Initiative?

Thanks

Steve

Another one i think should be added is Auto Thrusters and the Firespray.  Now Auto Thrusters state when outside attackers fire arch. Now with the Firespray having a rear fire arch we came up with a scenario last night where a player was in the rear firing arch of Boba Fett at range 1. We ruled that Auto Thrusters wouldn't work because he was in a firing arch. 

Another one i think should be added is Auto Thrusters and the Firespray.  Now Auto Thrusters state when outside attackers fire arch. Now with the Firespray having a rear fire arch we came up with a scenario last night where a player was in the rear firing arch of Boba Fett at range 1. We ruled that Auto Thrusters wouldn't work because he was in a firing arch. 

You ruled correctly!

In case anyone wants to understand why this works the way it does:

The Firespray's rear arc is considered a Auxiliary Firing Arc. It is valid for everything that refers to Firing Arcs, but does not work when Primary Firing Arc is mentioned. On the other hand, the YT-1300 and VT-49 can fire "outside their firing arc" - this is not the same as having a 360° firing arc.

Edited by Klutz

By the way: Great work on the list of questions UnfairBanana!

I'll be compiling these questions into a document on thursday or friday, with the ruling that I'll be applying if any of these come up during the store championship I'm TOing this weekend!

Would be cool if we could have a pinned thread with a list of "current issues in need of a FAQ ruling".

Potentially with "generally accepted rulings" as voted for by our resident rules lawyers :P

Hi All

I'm happy to wait for the FAQ on the above, but can't find a post regarding Initiative.

My question is, in a game with only Rebel and Scum ships playing who has the Initiative?

Thanks

Steve

The mission which comes with the IG-2000 declares initiative as Imperial, then rebel, then scum. That would mean that in a game without imperial, the rebels would have initiative. However, you can also use the tournament rules variant on determining who has initiative: Basically, you flip a coin. The winner then decides whether he wants initiative, or gives it to his opponent.

However, you can also use the tournament rules variant on determining who has initiative: Basically, whoever has the lowest squad point total decides who has initiative. In case of a tie, you flip a coin. The winner then decides whether he wants initiative, or gives it to his opponent.

Added a part you forgot ;)

I just went back to the Illicit Dealings article mentioning Feedback Array. They actually answer a lot of the questions. 

A Feedback Array allows you to damage any one target within Range “1.” However, to use the Feedback Array, you must forego your attack and receive one ion token. Even though you’d be trading away your attacks for just one damage, that’s a trade in which the value is easy enough to identify. You might find yourself outflanked, lacking a shot altogether; or you might want to land just one more damage on a ship that you’re touching, in order to finally destroy it. The ion token, however, is another matter. Ionized ships are forced to utilize straight speed “1” maneuvers, which leaves them exposed and predictable. Still, there are definitely times even the ion token is an acceptable cost. For starters, if you equip IG-2000 with a Feedback Array, the first ion token won’t ionize your ship. Then, since the Feedback Array costs just two squad points, one might imagine equipping it on up to seven Binayre Pirates who could then simply fly within Range “1” of the target of their choice and obliterate it, no dice required.

So you can use Feedback Array if you have no valid target for an attack, and you can use it against enemies you are touching.

I hadn't thought to look there! Good find :) will update post

You did the right thing. Somewhere, I don't remember where (perhaps even the Firespray rules insert?), it states the rear arc is an arc for all intents and purposes. This is different from turret primaries because that simply allows them to shoot outside their arc, as opposed to having a 360 degree arc.

Edit: super :ph34r: 'd by Klutz. Scrolled right past his answer. But he's absolutely right!

No mention of the Accuracy Corrector debate? I realize it's a FAQ needed thing, but isn't it a common, if acrimonious debate.

Could you elaborate/link to a thread on the debate? I don't recall any issues with AC, and it's been around for a while.

Edited by UnfairBanana

No mention of the Accuracy Corrector debate? I realize it's a FAQ needed thing, but isn't it a common, if acrimonious debate.

Could you elaborate/link to a thread on the debate? I don't recall any issues with AC, and it's been around for a while.

You can find a discussion here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/136328-autoblaster-accuracy-corrector-and-sensor-jammer/

Here are my thoughts on the subject, which I also posted over there...

Some people say that, since Accuracy Corrector says to cancel dice results, it must be applied during step 6 of an attack ("Compare Results"). They reference the following passage from page 12 of the rule book: "All abilities that allow players to cancel dice must be resolved at the start of the “Compare Results” step."

To me, this makes no sense.

It would allow for the following scenario:

• Step 2: Attacker rolls 1 un-cancelable crit result with Ten Numb
  • Step 3: No one modifies the attack dice.
  • Step 4: Defender rolls all blanks
  • Step 5: Defender has 1 evade token, but decides to keep the evade token, since the crit is uncancelable anyways.
  • Step 6: The attacker, knowing the defender hasn't spent the evade token, decides to use Accuracy Corrector to cancel the crit, and score 2 hits.
  • Step 7: Defender, having 0 shields, is dealt 2 face down damage cards.

In this scenario, had the defender decided to spend his evade token, the attacker could then decide to NOT use accuracy corrector (which would have scored 1 normal hit), and instead score 1 critical hit.

A similar scenario could be constructed for an attacker rolling 3 crit results with an Autoblaster Cannon, who could decide to turn that into 2 (uncancelable) hit results thanks to Accuracy Corrector once they know how many of the crit results the defender canceled with their dice/tokens.

It makes much more sens, to me at least, to have Accuracy Corrector be applied during Step 3 ("Modify Attack Dice").

There is, afaik, no other ability that let's the attacker modify their attack dice once they know what the defender's die roll is - this seems to be one of the basic building blocks of X-Wing and I don't think Accuracy Corrector was meant to change this.

You can find a discussion here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/136328-autoblaster-accuracy-corrector-and-sensor-jammer/

Here are my thoughts on the subject, which I also posted over there...

[trimmed]

It makes much more sens, to me at least, to have Accuracy Corrector be applied during Step 3 ("Modify Attack Dice").

There is, afaik, no other ability that let's the attacker modify their attack dice once they know what the defender's die roll is - this seems to be one of the basic building blocks of X-Wing and I don't think Accuracy Corrector was meant to change this.

Ah, gotcha. I think that "cannot be modified again" clause implies that it should be during the attacker's "modify dice" step. At the same time, there's that canceling part. This is a weird one for sure...To the list!

To me, this makes no sense.

It would allow for the following scenario:

• Step 2: Attacker rolls 1 un-cancelable crit result with Ten Numb
  • Step 3: No one modifies the attack dice.
  • Step 4: Defender rolls all blanks
  • Step 5: Defender has 1 evade token, but decides to keep the evade token, since the crit is uncancelable anyways.
  • Step 6: The attacker, knowing the defender hasn't spent the evade token, decides to use Accuracy Corrector to cancel the crit, and score 2 hits.
  • Step 7: Defender, having 0 shields, is dealt 2 face down damage cards.

In this scenario, had the defender decided to spend his evade token, the attacker could then decide to NOT use accuracy corrector (which would have scored 1 normal hit), and instead score 1 critical hit.

First, congratulations on finding the first (if fringe) scenario where this might actually matter.

But why doesn't it make sense?  Or more precisely, what's wrong with the scenario?  Even apart from having absolutely nothing to do with the rules, why is it so beyond the pale as to dictate ignoring the rules?  At the very least, it's a complete fringe case.  But even if we have to take it as serious, it means that the defender has to make the choice in the absence of knowledge about what the attacker will do.  What part of that doesn't make sense?

Say I've got Kath with a Rebel Captive.  There are two enemy ships at PS 5.  One of them will get stressed when they attack me.  I may want to stress both, but how can I know which will attack first and take the Rebel Captive?  That just doesn't make sense, does it?

Or, it does, because there are all sorts of situations in this game where you have to make a decision without knowing what your opponent might do.

First, congratulations on finding the first (if fringe) scenario where this might actually matter.

But why doesn't it make sense?  Or more precisely, what's wrong with the scenario?  Even apart from having absolutely nothing to do with the rules, why is it so beyond the pale as to dictate ignoring the rules?  At the very least, it's a complete fringe case.  But even if we have to take it as serious, it means that the defender has to make the choice in the absence of knowledge about what the attacker will do.  What part of that doesn't make sense?

Say I've got Kath with a Rebel Captive.  There are two enemy ships at PS 5.  One of them will get stressed when they attack me.  I may want to stress both, but how can I know which will attack first and take the Rebel Captive?  That just doesn't make sense, does it?

Or, it does, because there are all sorts of situations in this game where you have to make a decision without knowing what your opponent might do.

I even found 2 fringe scenarios: Ten Numb and Autoblaster Cannon! :P

Actually, anything with uncancelable attack dice results would qualify.

There's nothing strictly wrong about AC activating in step 6. This is clearly a Rules As Intended argument on my part.

Still...

• If Accuracy Corrector activates during the Compare Results step of the attack sequence, why bother saying "Your dice cannot be modified again during this attack."
  • Why not make it a lot more explicit that it activates in Step 6, rather than relying on a small, obscure, mostly useless* part of the rule book that 95%** of players are sure to forget/not know about? Something simple could've been a lot easier to understand, like:

​"When attacking, during the Compare Results step, you may cancel all of your dice results. Then, you may add 2  results."

*Woohoo! Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy reference!

**Disclaimer: I invented this number.

1. Because future cards might allow dice modification later? We do not know for sure. But the sentence has since been rendered superfluous by the FAQ.

2. Because the rules are quite clear when abilities that allow users to cancel dice must take place.

I even found 2 fringe scenarios: Ten Numb and Autoblaster Cannon! :P

Actually, anything with uncancelable attack dice results would qualify.

Not really.  The only reason it works for Ten is there might be some choice between 1 crit (with a useless evade) and 2 hits (with a live evade).  If it's an Autoblaster, there is literally no reason for the attacker not to use it, because the choice is between 1 uncancelable hit and 2 uncancelable hits.  Are you really going to agonize over whether the attacker will decide to choose one hit instead of two?  Not to mention that the defender would know he couldn't spend the evade anyway.

• If Accuracy Corrector activates during the Compare Results step of the attack sequence, why bother saying "Your dice cannot be modified again during this attack."
  • Why not make it a lot more explicit that it activates in Step 6, rather than relying on a small, obscure, mostly useless* part of the rule book that 95%** of players are sure to forget/not know about? Something simple could've been a lot easier to understand, like:

​"When attacking, during the Compare Results step, you may cancel all of your dice results. Then, you may add 2  results."

For the first, there could have been later modifications (prior to the FAQ SE references, which says you can't modify added results.  That line makes the statement redundant regardless of when it's used).

For the "Why not", there are any number of reminders they could put on cards.  Every single dice modification ability could say "During the Modify Attack Dice step..."  That's why they have rules like that, specifically so they don't have to do that.

But the sentence has since been rendered superfluous by the FAQ.

Which FAQ entry are you referring to?

The change that made added results treated like dice results that cannot be modified in any way.  In addition to making Autoblasters immune to Evade tokens, it also makes the added results from AC unable to be modified even without that line.

On 3/3/2015 at 10:11 AM, Klutz said:

You ruled correctly!

In case anyone wants to understand why this works the way it does:

The Firespray's rear arc is considered a Auxiliary Firing Arc. It is valid for everything that refers to Firing Arcs, but does not work when Primary Firing Arc is mentioned. On the other hand, the YT-1300 and VT-49 can fire "outside their firing arc" - this is not the same as having a 360° firing arc.

Minor resurrection on this.  So when the Auto-thrusters mention "IF defending, and you are outside the attacker's firing arc, is that meaning their Primary arc??  IE they are using a turret?