Sign in to follow this  
Darth Ruin

Does every wave need to have dud ships?

I am happy with the Y-wing update and it will find use in both my rebel and scum units. The generics find a lot of use in my lists, as I am usually a casual player I feel the constant use of the named pilots is a little dry. With many of their abilities though it is hard not to choose them with competition play.

As far as dud ships are concerned I don't feel that any ship is a dud vs being too focused on one mechanic or ability makes its use a little more challenging. Once again competition rewards consistent performance over luck, so unreliable may be a better term then dud.

You just have to understand the history of the game. For a long time, the uniques were rarely used.

This always gets said, but having played since wave 1 and having shot down probably hundreds of Howlrunners and Biggs, I can't for the life of me understand why people say it.

You just have to understand the history of the game. For a long time, the uniques were rarely used.

This always gets said, but having played since wave 1 and having shot down probably hundreds of Howlrunners and Biggs, I can't for the life of me understand why people say it.

While many fielded Howlrunner and Biggs in their squads, the majority of ships were composed of generics. If Howlrunner was involved, she was usually the only named pilot among a group of Imperials, usually Academy Pilots. Of course, using generic pilots on the Rebel side may prove to be harder to argue for, since there were pilots like Wedge or Ten Numb or Han Solo. Still, there were plenty of Dagger B Wings, Green and Prototype A Wings, and the occasional Rookie X Wing. At the beginning of the game, people used one or two named pilots and built their squad around them. So yeah, uniques were used in the past but not to the degree that they are used now. Now, the amount of named pilots has increased greatly, mostly because one can combine their pilot abilities with upgrade cards, getting synergy, combos, and all that good stuff.

Current Wave: 

Scyk Fighters that are not Serissu 

Star Viper mooks and Xizor

Wave 5

Eaden Vrill 

Nera Dantels (as much as I love her, she's a dud) 

Wave 4

E-Wings that are not Corran 

Defenders

Wave 3 

Lorrir, Kir Kanos, Cowell

Shuttles who are not Omicron Group Pilots

Wave 2

Interceptors who are not Soontir or Turr 

A-Wings

Wave 1

TIE-ADVs who are not Vader

Planned obsolescence? Dud ships sell Ace repaints. 

Time to quit the game, huh...

Who knew?

:lol:

I'm fairly sure they want everything to have a place competitively. It's just that this is a hard game to predict, and how well a ship does in competitive appearance is as much a product of groupthink as it is the ship's actual strength.

I'm quite convinced that there is also a lot of stuff for the casual players, the scenario players, the tinkerers and combo seekers.

Arguably the least useful pilot in a competitive setting, Fel's Wrath, might still have uses in scenario play, lists that build off Lore or complete campaigns.

I know this forum is geared mostly towards the hypercompetitive players but posts like the OP are really blind to other ways to enjoy the game. So blind that they even refuse to see if it's pointed out to them, considering it an inferior way of enjoying something.

While many fielded Howlrunner and Biggs in their squads, the majority of ships were composed of generics. If Howlrunner was involved, she was usually the only named pilot among a group of Imperials, usually Academy Pilots. Of course, using generic pilots on the Rebel side may prove to be harder to argue for, since there were pilots like Wedge or Ten Numb or Han Solo. Still, there were plenty of Dagger B Wings, Green and Prototype A Wings, and the occasional Rookie X Wing. At the beginning of the game, people used one or two named pilots and built their squad around them. So yeah, uniques were used in the past but not to the degree that they are used now. Now, the amount of named pilots has increased greatly, mostly because one can combine their pilot abilities with upgrade cards, getting synergy, combos, and all that good stuff.

Dark Curse, Backstabber, Soontir Fel, Turr Phenir and even Vader are all examples of ships I remember being played extensively by imperial players in waves 1-3 (and continue to be played)     There WAS a relatively brief moment in wave 3 when generic B-Wings (with advanced sensors) specifically were very prevalent, but that's really the only thing I can remember approaching the uniformity of generics that is described. Maybe my local meta was a lot different than the national though.

From the way people here (and the devs in interviews) talk,  it just seems like the are disappointed if people are fielding generics at all.    I just don't see the problem.

I'm fairly sure they want everything to have a place competitively. It's just that this is a hard game to predict, and how well a ship does in competitive appearance is as much a product of groupthink as it is the ship's actual strength.

I'm quite convinced that there is also a lot of stuff for the casual players, the scenario players, the tinkerers and combo seekers.

Arguably the least useful pilot in a competitive setting, Fel's Wrath, might still have uses in scenario play, lists that build off Lore or complete campaigns.

I know this forum is geared mostly towards the hypercompetitive players but posts like the OP are really blind to other ways to enjoy the game. So blind that they even refuse to see if it's pointed out to them, considering it an inferior way of enjoying something.

don't you worry, it's blind to competitive scenarios as well :P

the meta landscape can be far more varied if you don't limit yourself to the easy win buttons

Edited by ficklegreendice

Dark Curse, Backstabber, Soontir Fel, Turr Phenir and even Vader are all examples of ships I remember being played extensively by imperial players in waves 1-3 (and continue to be played)

Speaking about competitive play which is where most of this is coming from. Those ships were seldom ever seen in the top 16. That's why people talk about generics over named.

The stats back this up too, looking at the earliest recorded stats, the generic pilots were seen the most.

the meta landscape can be far more varied if you don't limit yourself to the easy win buttons

I hope the competitive scenarios will take off when they get some support from FFG as mentioned in that interview.

Vrill? Really?

Vrilly?

Yeah I've won two consecutive Store Championships (11 & 22 players) using 2 squads that featured Vrill. He was my MVP in both tournaments. Definitely NOT a dud in my books.

I hope the competitive scenarios will take off when they get some support from FFG as mentioned in that interview.

If that means more scenarios then YES!  :)

Pre-built squad suggestions too.

Yeah I've won two consecutive Store Championships (11 & 22 players) using 2 squads that featured Vrill. He was my MVP in both tournaments. Definitely NOT a dud in my books.

Care to share your build?  I'd be interested to see how you made him work.