Sign in to follow this  
dpb1298

The Galaxy never has peace

Am I the only one who thinks it is kind of messed up that the galaxy never has lasting peace? I think in the novels they were finally leaning that way with the whole Allana restores peace to the Galaxy storyline, but according to the comics the galaxy promptly falls back into civil/ Jedi-Sith/ Republic-Empire war. I understand it being difficult with so many different species and peoples to all get a along but still. Kind of undercuts all the peoples sacrifices in Star Wars if it only assures about 30 years of peace. Of course this is all Legends now.

Something the size of the Star Wars galaxy should never be entirely "at peace."  Too many species with differing viewpoints, too much opportunity on the fringes for criminal organizations or warlords to cut out a piece of the galaxy for their own purposes, and too many old conflicts ended in the past by force that will crop back up when enough of that force vanishes.

The desire and quest for peace is one of the reasons good people support(ed) the Empire. 

Even without the Jedi/Sith conflicts, I think the Star Wars galaxy would've had a lot of wars, though perhaps on a smaller scale.  Consider a primitive planet with a tribal culture.  Now give them modern (Star Wars modern) technology and move them forward a generation or two.  They're going to try to expand that tribal culture outward and now they have starships to do it.  Conflict is inevitable.

As a place to raise children, the Star Wars galaxy might not be the best.  :)  As a setting for a roleplaying game or stories or movies, the constant conflict is full of opportunity for high drama.

Am I the only one who thinks it is kind of messed up that the galaxy never has lasting peace? I think in the novels they were finally leaning that way with the whole Allana restores peace to the Galaxy storyline, but according to the comics the galaxy promptly falls back into civil/ Jedi-Sith/ Republic-Empire war. I understand it being difficult with so many different species and peoples to all get a along but still. Kind of undercuts all the peoples sacrifices in Star Wars if it only assures about 30 years of peace. Of course this is all Legends now.

Yes, sometimes it seems like the galaxy will never be at peace, that there will always be those that bring strife and chaos. Even when a large-scale war ends it seems there are always terrorists, insurrectionists and those fomenting the next terrible conflict. But one can't think like that, one mustn't think like that. The fight for peace may be an ideal, may be hard to realize, but in striving for it, one can achieve a peace that will last, even if not perfect, and put an end to these destructive conflicts.

At least that's what I imagine Vader or Palpetine saying... ;)

We have just one inhabited planet in our "galaxy."  How long has there been a contiguous period of peace on just planet Earth?

Conflict is inevitable and it is the struggle that defines us, not the result.  Instillation of peace and order are wonderful ideals.  The issue is that the implementation inevitably forces some square pegs into round holes and they tend to get bound up in the process.

Even in the time of the Old Republic, where there was a functional central government that wasn't super oppressive, there wasn't "peace." There just wasn't conflict on the scale of the Clone Wars - which was effectively the Old Republic's Civil War. But there was definitely still conflict. 

Edited by Kshatriya

The thousand years before Palpatine were pretty peaceful, which is why the game is not set in that period. All the other pre-history is Legends now, so the Sith Wars, KOTOR Period, etc may not have existed.

To paraphrase Tolkien, during good times there is not much to talk about, and in a story it swiftly passes. If Disney wants to milk the franchise, the galaxy will be in turmoil for a good while longer...

The first thing to consider is that it's just a story, and the nature of the story is one of galactic conflict (hence the name "Star Wars"). For example, in the Cthulhu mythos there's seldom a time when ancient elder gods aren't threatening reality. In James Bond there's always a need for a suave, handsome super-spy.

But like Braendig said, when has there been a period of continuous peace in the real world? There's always some kind of conflict going on, it just seems to be the nature of things.

I'm not too up on the lore, but would the inhabitants of the core worlds think that they have been living in peace? All that fighting happens "over there" in the less civilized worlds.

It was only like that during the Rebellion era. Cause the Alliance was the underdog and didn't have the military strength to openly fight The Empire at its core. But in other conflicts like the Clone Wars or battles with the Sith or the Imperial Remnant, core planets of import like Coruscant got attacked all the time.

I think the safest planets are those that aren't important at all, far from the main hyperlanes, no special resources. Plenty of those boring places too I think.

This reminds me of the age whole Star Wars vs. Star Trek argument, which basically boils down to this (IMHO):

• Star Trek is much more the utopian, "I'd like to raise children there", universe; despite the conflicts depicted in the fiction, most common folk's problems seem to have been solved. This has the trade-off of restricting story opportunities.
  • Star Wars is a much more conflict driven, bordering on dystopian (but not overly so, unlike the cyberpunk genre, or Warhammer 40,000, the Up to eleven dystopia). You're much less likely, having the choice, to want to raise your children there. Even the Era of peace wasn't the most fun for the numberless toiling masses of the Galaxy. In exchange, you get one of the best Adventure-Friendly World out there.

In a galaxy with millions of inhabited worlds, millions of sentient species, and quadrillions of beings, I would certainly think it would never fully be at peace. Ever.

*Turns on the news*

*Watches real world headlines*

Why is that so hard to fathom, again?

This reminds me of the age whole Star Wars vs. Star Trek argument, which basically boils down to this (IMHO):

• Star Trek is much more the utopian, "I'd like to raise children there", universe; despite the conflicts depicted in the fiction, most common folk's problems seem to have been solved. This has the trade-off of restricting story opportunities.
  • Star Wars is a much more conflict driven, bordering on dystopian (but not overly so, unlike the cyberpunk genre, or Warhammer 40,000, the Up to eleven dystopia). You're much less likely, having the choice, to want to raise your children there. Even the Era of peace wasn't the most fun for the numberless toiling masses of the Galaxy. In exchange, you get one of the best Adventure-Friendly World out there.

The problem with Star Trek is that the writers completely wrote themselves into a corner with the tech demonstrated. With the existence of replicators, why does it take much if any time to build ships or buildings. Who needs farms and farmers? What's the point of trade ships when the Federation has no currency? Probably explains why the admirals in charge of Star Fleet keep getting replaced by something else...

The problem with Star Wars is the oddity of worlds that are hyper-specialized. Every world that we've been able to examine shows that it is composed of a variety of minerals, just like our world. So, just about every world should be able to do mining, engineering, farming, etc... Why are there wars? Because when you put 3 people in a room, each with their own desires and expectations, somebody isn't going to fully like what comes out of that room. In a lot of ways you can think of the US and Europe as the core worlds and the rest of the world as the other regions.

Small issues here and there slowly build up and lead to bigger issues. Individual worlds in the Republic (new or old) seem to be individually governed with a larger body dealing with interstellar matters, much like the UN is used here on Earth. Some people feel they are overlooked, repressed, unheard, etc... Some feel that they were cheated by others in negotiations, etc... So, with 10s to 100s of thousands of worlds in Known Space, how likely is it that at least 2 aren't in conflict with each other at any one moment in time?

But in other conflicts like the Clone Wars or battles with the Sith or the Imperial Remnant, core planets of import like Coruscant got attacked all the time.

No they didn't. If you watch TCW episodes where Padme is reaching out to the Separatists and almost manages to open peace negotiations, the ones where the senate is voting on whether to de-regulate the banks, it's explicitly stated how there hasn't been an attack on Coruscant in a thousand years and how the war seems very far away from them all. That's the point of the terrorist bombing that Grevious and the banking and trade clans orchestrate to terrify the populace, that people at the centre of the Republic aren't actually exposed to the war.

It's possible that later on there were attacks on Coruscant that we don't see, but the point is that we don't see them / hear of them. All of the war scenes that we see appear to be taking place considerably far away from the Core.

But in other conflicts like the Clone Wars or battles with the Sith or the Imperial Remnant, core planets of import like Coruscant got attacked all the time.

No they didn't. If you watch TCW episodes where Padme is reaching out to the Separatists and almost manages to open peace negotiations, the ones where the senate is voting on whether to de-regulate the banks, it's explicitly stated how there hasn't been an attack on Coruscant in a thousand years and how the war seems very far away from them all. That's the point of the terrorist bombing that Grevious and the banking and trade clans orchestrate to terrify the populace, that people at the centre of the Republic aren't actually exposed to the war.

It's possible that later on there were attacks on Coruscant that we don't see, but the point is that we don't see them / hear of them. All of the war scenes that we see appear to be taking place considerably far away from the Core.

In the EU/Legends we had the Republic Commando Novel: Triple Zero. Which is set on Coruscant with the Republic forces working to stop Terrorist Cells on Coruscant.

Then of course in RotS begins with the assault on Coruscant, but that is one of the tools used by Palpatine to continue his hold on the Senate leading to the end of the War.

In the EU/Legends we had the Republic Commando Novel: Triple Zero. Which is set on Coruscant with the Republic forces working to stop Terrorist Cells on Coruscant.

Then of course in RotS begins with the assault on Coruscant, but that is one of the tools used by Palpatine to continue his hold on the Senate leading to the end of the War.

I'm not familiar with any of the Legends material. My position is that it's fine if people want that in their games, but it's not canon.

We don't have much of a Galaxy setting at all if we exclude the Legends material. Much of it will be recycled into official canon again anyway. Only the exact events will be different. But it will undoubtedly include plenty of action around Coruscant. Besides Tatooine it is now the most prominent planet in Star Wars media.

I'm not familiar with any of the Legends material. My position is that it's fine if people want that in their games, but it's not canon.

If you want a Canon source of that could be considered similar to Triple Zero. I got just have to give one name. Cad Bane

If you want a Canon source of that could be considered similar to Triple Zero. I got just have to give one name. Cad Bane

Ah, but that wasn't military action, that was Cad trying to free a crime boss (the incomparably entertaining Ziro the Hutt). Nobody ever argued that Coruscant didn't have crime. We just said that the war seemed a distant thing to them.

We don't have much of a Galaxy setting at all if we exclude the Legends material. Much of it will be recycled into official canon again anyway. Only the exact events will be different. But it will undoubtedly include plenty of action around Coruscant. Besides Tatooine it is now the most prominent planet in Star Wars media.

Perhaps. We'll just have to differ on it. I stick to the cannon, but I understand the attachment many have to the Legends material. I think any such discussion basically comes down to the individual's preference.

Now there's a character I wish they'd resurrect. All the other Hutts are boring by comparison.

Most of any other characters are boring compared to Ziro! At least they gave him a magnificently bizarre and wonderful send-off. Ziro is about the only thing that tempts me to break away from my rigorous devotion to cannon in my game. I just have to find some way that he wasn't really dead after all. I'm picturing the PCs being hired to rescue someone and busting open the cell doors to be greeted with "you have no ideah, the unspeakable horrors I have had to endure..." as Ziro mournfully puts down a plate of prison food.

He's like a bizarre cross between Michael Jackson and Al Capone. I suspect he was very loosely modelled on Mr. Cairo from the Maltese Falcon. Possibly.

Ah, but that wasn't military action, that was Cad trying to free a crime boss (the incomparably entertaining Ziro the Hutt). Nobody ever argued that Coruscant didn't have crime. We just said that the war seemed a distant thing to them.

Explain how taking members Senate hostage is just a normal crime. Because in truth It would be a Terrorist Action. Which would fall on to Republic Forces to handle not specifying it being only Military or Security Forces. When it happened the Coruscant Guard responded, but wait that would be a Military Unit of Clone Troopers and constitute a Military Action. Or do you not consider what Organizations like Coruscant Security Forces or the Senate Guard do as similar actions?

That incident itself plays into just how vulnerable Coruscant and how easy other terrorist cells could operate there.

The reference to Triple Zero is because yes it does center around Republic Commandos, but it actually incorporates how they operated with other entities like the Senate Guard, Republic Intelligence, and Coruscant Security Forces.