Sign in to follow this  
themattman

focus and others

just a reminder that i recently learned the hard way....  Experimental interface works ONLY with equipped upgrade cards. NOT your upgrade BAR!!!  wasted a bunch of points...

Thats because it is complimentary of Push the Limit, which works ONLY with your action BAR and not any upgrade cards.

So i guess I'm confused with understanding the action phase. So can you help me out? During the action phase, can you do both target lock and focus or evade at the same time?

Sounds like a bit of a newbie question (not meant in a derogatory way, we were all there once) so it might be useful to learn some key distinctions.

While each individual ship in your squad may only perform a particular action once per round, there are ways to receive more than one focus or target lock within a round as there is a distinction between being "assigned" or "passed" a focus token and "performing a focus action" - and between "acquiring a target lock" and "performing a target lock action"

example:

you have a small squad with Dutch Vander with R5-K6 astromech, Wedge Antillies and Garven Dreis

In the activation phase, Garven moves first and performs a focus action.

Dutch moves second and performs a target lock action.

This triggers Dutch's pilot ability which states "After acquiring a target lock, choose another friendly ship at Range 1-2. The ship may immediately acquire a target lock." (emphasis mine). Wedge is within range so Wedge acquires a target lock on an enemy ship.

Next it's Wedge's turn to move and he performs a focus action.

So despite performing just 1 action, Wedge has managed to gain TL and focus.

Next comes the Combat Phase.

Wedge shoots first and spends both his target lock and focus in the attack

Then Dutch shoots and spends his target lock

This triggers Dutch's Astromech R5-K6 which states: "After spending your target lock, roll 1 defense dice. On a [evade] result, immediately acquire a target lock on that same ship. You cannot spend this target lock during this attack"

Dutch rolls an evade and acquires a Target lock - which triggers his pilot ability once more and allows Wedge to acquire another Target Lock.

Then Garven takes his shot and spends his focus token - this triggers Garven's ability which states " After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it)*." So Garven passes his focus token to Wedge.

So, in this round, Dutch has received 2 target locks, but only taken a single target lock action, Wedge has received 2 target locks and 2 focus tokens, but has only performed a single focus action.

So in essence you may acquire as many target locks as you like (rules permitting) but you may only perform 1 Target Lock Action per ship - likewise you may be passed, or assigned as many focus tokens as you wish but you may only perform 1Focus action per ship

Make sense?

* Garven can, if he wishes, spend a focus token in order to convert zero focus results on an attack or defense dice roll , into zero hits / evades - so in other words he can still pass a focus even if he doesn't roll any focus results.

Edited by Funkleton

just a reminder that i recently learned the hard way....  Experimental interface works ONLY with equipped upgrade cards. NOT your upgrade BAR!!!  wasted a bunch of points...

Thats because it is complimentary of Push the Limit, which works ONLY with your action BAR and not any upgrade cards.

And neither one of them works for the actions on damage cards. Had to point that out to an opponent last week.

And neither works on pilot abilities with the "Action:" header. There are none, but there could be one in the future.

It seems unlikely they'd do that as opposed to making a new ability. Or rather, it'd be like "if you do this, skip your action step this round" just because that's how they like to word things.