Sign in to follow this  
Deltmi

"Genius" Mech

28 minutes ago, nigeltastic said:

Turns out that's no different than how the bombs normally drop though so seems maybe a bit weird to do that.

Reveal bombs detonate at the end of the activation phase unless Nym uses his ability. Action "bombs" (Prox mines, Cluster Mines, Conner Net) detonate when they are struck by a ship.

1 hour ago, nigeltastic said:

Turns out that's no different than how the bombs normally drop though so seems maybe a bit weird to do that.

It means you can move > drop to deny peoples' movement in advance and they won't know whether you'l let it go off next round or not.

It also means you can do move > drop > drop > move, and catch the unlucky soul who got in behind you the following turn twice..

4 hours ago, HaranHaste said:

Reveal bombs detonate at the end of the activation phase unless Nym uses his ability. Action "bombs" (Prox mines, Cluster Mines, Conner Net) detonate when they are struck by a ship.

Yea I know. My statement was mostly that dropping a reveal bomb after you move that you let detonate next turn is hardly different than dropping a reveal bomb before you move next turn which will detonate next turn. They function largely identically though there are cases which make it useful, I suppose.

1 hour ago, nigeltastic said:

Yea I know. My statement was mostly that dropping a reveal bomb after you move that you let detonate next turn is hardly different than dropping a reveal bomb before you move next turn which will detonate next turn. They function largely identically though there are cases which make it useful, I suppose.

true, but the mine doesn't need to be run over, so the enemy ship has to maneuver to avoid being in range 1 of the bomb and if you are nose to nose with the bumped ship, that can be difficult, especially if they 1.) want to get a shot at you and 2.) don't have a boost/barrel roll. 

Yesterday I bumped and put down a bomblet (held it with Rebel Nym's ability), then on the following turn, dropped another bomblet before moving so I had 2 stacked, my opponent moved but didn't get far enough away so took 2 sets of 2 red dice... unfortunately he took only one damage.

Genious needs a nerf just like TIE/X7.  I suggest the card should read

If you are equipped with a bomb that can be dropped when you reveal your maneuver,  if you did not overlap an obstacle or ship, you may drop the bomb after you execute your maneuver instead.

Why?  Because Genious is OP right now.  It doesn't reward good flying.  Just ram NYM which is already a High PS.  There is ZERO chance for lower pilot skills.  Its exactly why TIE/X7 was nerfed.  Defenders now actually have to fly well to get their bonus.  I think Genious should also apply this logic.  Fly well, and you get to drop your bombs.  Don't fly well, your stuffed.

Edited by Rexler Brath

3 hours ago, Rexler Brath said:

Genious needs a nerf just like TIE/X7.  I suggest the card should read

If you are equipped with a bomb that can be dropped when you reveal your maneuver,  if you did not overlap an obstacle or ship, you may drop the bomb after you execute your maneuver instead.

Why?  Because Genious is OP right now.  It doesn't reward good flying.  Just ram NYM which is already a High PS.  There is ZERO chance for lower pilot skills.  Its exactly why TIE/X7 was nerfed.  Defenders now actually have to fly well to get their bonus.  I think Genious should also apply this logic.  Fly well, and you get to drop your bombs.  Don't fly well, your stuffed.

Genius isn't the problem, Bomblet Generator is. If Nym had a finite amount of ammo (and had to pay a reasonable amount of points to get said ammo) then I doubt we'd have anywhere near as much of an issue with Nym or Genius.