Sign in to follow this  
Vinterdraken

Best EotE book to buy for AoR

So I have nearly every book to AoR and shortly I will have everything that has been released sofar.

This made me think about what to get next and ofcourse there are all kinds of books available in the EotE line that might be a great investment.

My first instinct is to go for Suns of Fortune since its not bound to any class and introduces a whole system to play around in that has many oppurtunites for Rebels to get into trouble, but the question that I would put before the forum is what book in the EotE line do you think offers the most options to a AoR group? Is there any book that has any gear, species or setting that you find invaluable and would recomend?
Some ideas that have also crossed my minds are the explorer and smuggler books because they contain Faleen and Chiss which would be welcome amongst my players.

There are some great possibilities for hooks in Suns of Fortune, because it covers the way the Empire has annexed parts of the Corellian Sector and some of the political strife that results.

The Empire annexed Duro into the Corellian Sector and as a result there's conflict between Duro and Corellia, which could provide some good fodder for AOR stories.

All the books would have some nice utility. New equipment and ships being big ones. Even the specs are useful from the career books as alternative choices for players. As noted, the region books would probably be the most utilitarian because their information is more about the regions and such. The adventure books, being that they are aimed at fringe groups, maybe less so, but they can still be adapted for an AoR military group. Plus the two adventure books for the EotE lines include more information on places like the Wheel and Bespin plus a few other planets.

I would personally get Dangerous Covenants first since IMO it has by far the most gear and a decent amount of other data helpful to an AOR group. Second would be Suns of Fortune (The main reason it isn't first is the shortage of sil 6 and sil 7 craft which I feel fit with the rebellion in AOR right now and Dangerous Covenants has one ship from each range which I feel fit in the rebellion's fleet perfectly).Lords of Nul Hutta would be third, unless you want to do a privateer campaign. In that case I would bump it up to first.

If you want to do a campagin focused on scouting for possible base locations or safe worlds enter the Unknown would be great. If you want to do a supply transport or blockade running style campaign Fly Casual would help though honestly I'm disappointed that there weren't more large blockade runner craft in it

Edited by RogueCorona

From a player's perspective, I wasn't a fan of Suns of Fortune. Didn't care about the new races because we were in the middle of a game. I wasn't really enthused by the new gear. There were no new talent trees which really surprised me. I would've thought that setting books would've been a great place for some of the more odd trees, such as the beast rider. I'm also surprised that every book doesn't contain at least one weapon/armor attachment or cybernetics.

As for the order of books to buy. Really, any of them would be good. The only suggestion I'd have would be to pick them up in the order of which the players would find most useful to have access to the spec trees contained inside. They are all good. If you are thinking about using the world fluff out of SoF, then go ahead and get it first. If you have the cash flow, go ahead and buy them all. If you're playing the game you won't regret it.

I'll go with Dangerous Covenants.

It's got weapons, both imperial and "open market," viable species for any campaign, vehicles and mods that would be handy for any combat campaign, and the 3 new Specs are perfectly fine for use by "Soldier" type as a secondary Spec.

Assume you have the EotE Core book if not that would be the first thing id get as it has the most specializations, Adversary Profiles and Ship Profiles, along with species not presented in AoR yet, Rodian, Wookiee, Transdoshan, Twilek and Gand, Plus the addition of two more Force Powers and an additional Universal Force specialization.

After that I would say the Regional books have the most to offer a AoR campaign, followed by the Career supplements.

Like Greymere said the Core Rulebook is a good choice; lots of vehicles, more species, specialization trees, bowcasters, drugs, and lots of adversaries.

other than that:

-Enter the Unknown is great for any adventures or campaigns that involves exploring, otherwise you won't get too much else out of it.

-Dangerous Covenants has a lot of weapons, armor and other gear that would benefit Soldiers (and Aces I suppose).

-Far Horizons could be useful for diplomats and commanders but only if they are working in and around the fringe.

-Sons of Fortune is great if you want to have your players running around the Corellia system. I haven't picked up Lords of Nal Hutta yet but I'm sure it's the same as Suns; other than some new ships and a few pieces of gear you won't get much out of it unless your using the area in your game.

-The adventure from the EotE GM kit could work in a rebel campaign with a few adjustments. I don't own either of the EotE adventures or Fly Casual yet so I can't commit of them.

Edited by D Money

-The adventure from the EotE GM kit could work in a rebel campaign with a few adjustments. I don't own either of the EotE adventures or Fly Casual yet so I can't commit of them.

IMO, anyone who is flying ships would probably get a lot of benefit from Fly Casual. The book is meant for Smugglers, but a key part of smuggling anything is the ability to fly it from one place to another.

It has lots of new attachments and modifications for ships, it has some enhancements and clarifications for flying them, and it has a number of new ships to go along with all those attachments and accessories.

It could also be used as a guidebook to help set up better smugglers or pirates that AoR characters might be instructed to take down, and thus add more flavor to the campaign.

So, in many ways “Stay on Target” can help EotE games, so can “Fly Casual” help AoR games.

That’s my opinion, anyway.