Sign in to follow this  
matthewjksullivan

The Full Set of Imperial Assault Miniatures

I've just finished painting up a complete set of the Imperial Assault miniatures and I'm in the process of photographing them. Here are some of my favourite pictures so far.

Trandoshan%2BGolden.jpg

Emperor%27s%2BGuard%2BFront%2Ba.jpg

Darth%2BVader%2BFront%2BGolden.jpg

If you're interested, I've got loads more pictures (+ some painting tips) on my own site: http://www.oldenhammer.com

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the feedback!

The bases have a 1" washer glued to the bottom to add some stability. And the way I painted the bases is pretty simple: black priming. Then a coat of gun-metal and black paint (I use Vallejo) -- at a mix of about 4:1 gunmetal to black, I then dry brush (especially around the edges) with silver. It gives a nice polished metal look.

The eyes on Vader are what sells the OSL. but I agree with the subtle level of red given off by the saber. Many people have been really overdoing the reds and it just doesn't look good.

Can we get a few shots of these from 1 or 2 feet away? Would love to see how that brushwork looks with some distance.

I am very happy to hear that my pictures have proved useful to some other painters!

I've just posted more pictures to my site (along with a rumination on the true meaning of lightsaber battles in the original trilogy)...

http://www.oldenhammer.com/2015/03/heroes-of-rebel-alliance.html

Here are some highlights - I hope they also are helpful to you all. Thanks for looking!

Jyn%2BGideon%2BMake%2Bfront.jpg

Gaarkhan%2BFenn%2BDiala%2Bfront.jpg

I like your shading, it seems almost like a cell shaded video game.

That's an interesting comment - thanks! I often struggle with my shading. Some days it seems terribly inferior to the clean, simple, bright shading technique pioneered by painters like Steve Dean. But "cell shaded" video game style (I've also had it described as "impressionistic") is just the way the paint comes off my brush. So I'm glad it seemed effective to you!

I like your shading, it seems almost like a cell shaded video game.

That's an interesting comment - thanks! I often struggle with my shading. Some days it seems terribly inferior to the clean, simple, bright shading technique pioneered by painters like Steve Dean. But "cell shaded" video game style (I've also had it described as "impressionistic") is just the way the paint comes off my brush. So I'm glad it seemed effective to you!

It's spectacular.  Those Trandoshans are phenomenal.