Sign in to follow this  
Bobdaboa

Proximity Mines

I read in the FAQ that you can only drop one bomb per turn, but in a recent news article posted by Paul Heaver the was Emon with Experimental interface and three proximity mines. 

Are proximity mines affected by that one bomb per turn rule?  It's confusing when the FAQ says one thing but this article implies that you can drop two proximiy mines per turn.

I read in the FAQ that you can only drop one bomb per turn, but in a recent news article posted by Paul Heaver the was Emon with Experimental interface and three proximity mines. 

Are proximity mines affected by that one bomb per turn rule?  It's confusing when the FAQ says one thing but this article implies that you can drop two proximiy mines per turn.

The implication was not intended.

EI is there so that you can drop a Proximity Mine and NOT use your regular evade/focus/target-lock action.

Proximity mines are bombs. They are included in the "only one bomb per round" rule.

Proximity mines require an action to use. You cannot perform the same action more than once during one round. That prohibits dropping two (or more) proximity mines.

Edited by dvor

EI is there so that you can drop a Proximity Mine and NOT use lose your regular evade/focus/target-lock action.

Fixed that for you ;)

Thanks for the fix, but that red text looks far better on a white screen than FFG Classic

Haha, get with the times people! You're living in the past!  :rolleyes:   :lol:

EI is there so that you can drop a Proximity Mine and NOT use lose your regular evade/focus/target-lock action.

Fixed that for you ;)

Thanks for the fix, but that red text looks far better on a white screen than FFG Classic

Haha, get with the times people! You're living in the past!  :rolleyes:   :lol:

I'll take living in the past over going blind any day

Also, Proximity Mines require an action to drop them.  And, since you may not perform the same action twice in the same round, you couldn't take the Proximity Mine action twice no matter how many action opportunities you may have to drop it.

Edit:

I missed dvor's post above.

Edited by Rinehart

So...flying Emon with E.I. and Prox mines...I take a Focus Action, use E.I. to drop said prox mine on lets say Soontir Fel... the Prox mine triggers...I then roll 3 dice [Hit][Focus][Focus]...can Emon spend the focus and change those [Focus] results into hits?

Or did I miss something some where that prevents spending the focus to change the Bomb results?

So...flying Emon with E.I. and Prox mines...I take a Focus Action, use E.I. to drop said prox mine on lets say Soontir Fel... the Prox mine triggers...I then roll 3 dice [Hit][Focus][Focus]...can Emon spend the focus and change those [Focus] results into hits?

Or did I miss something some where that prevents spending the focus to change the Bomb results?

No, you cannot spend Focus tokens, Target Locks or in any other way modify the dice rolled for Proximity Mines. Likewise, the defender cannot use Sensor Jammer or other effects to modify the dice rolled for Proximity Mines, nor can they use an evade token to cancel damage.

Focus tokens, Target Locks and other abilities can only be used when you are either performing an attack or are the defender currently being attacked. Since Proximity Mines is not an attack, you cannot use the abilities.

The roll for Proximity Mines is similar to the roll you make after moving through an asteroid, or the roll you make to try and clear certain face up damage cards, it uses the red dice, but is not an attack.

This may seem like a silly question, but what if there were two different bombs? For instance Proximity Mines and Conner net. Would the rule of one bomb per turn still apply here, since they are both seperate actions?

This may seem like a silly question, but what if there were two different bombs? For instance Proximity Mines and Conner net. Would the rule of one bomb per turn still apply here, since they are both seperate actions?

Not "silly" per se, but "A ship can only drop one bomb per round" (RR p7) doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. There's no reason to assume they meant "one bomb (of a particular type)".

Not "silly" per se, but "A ship can only drop one bomb per round" (RR p7) doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. There's no reason to assume they meant "one bomb (of a particular type)".

And, because this has also caused a lot of the confusion surrounding this ruling: Bomb = Mine = Net

And, because this has also caused a lot of the confusion surrounding this ruling: Bomb = Mine = Net

= Detonator

= Charges

Bomb = Mine = Net = Detonator = Charges

There. That's all of them until Wave 9  ;)