Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

X-Wing 4th Faction

Ok, so if FFG did a 4th faction, what could, or would, it be?  I can think of 3 possiblities:

1.  Stuff from the Prequel Trilogies.  

2.  Stuff from The Old Republic era

3.  For something completely unique, the Yuuzhan Vong.

I can't see it happening anytime soon, They will sit back and evaluate the strength of the playerbases support for scum first, add that to the development cycle time and your early by a year at least.

The prequel trilogies attract vitriol and the old republic/vong eras are a little esoteric so i'm not sure how viable they may be.

That said there is hardly a shortage of political entities you can dredge up from the lore, the Hapans and the Chiss spring to mind.

Preemptive nope.

Nothing else would make any sense. 

We don't need a fourth. At all.

The game is GCW era. Not TOR, not Vong War, not prequel.

And no one bring up any smugglers & spies thing, because that's no different from scum. Not to mention, there aren't really any good ships for it

Wave 3 should have been 'Mercenaries', ships usable by both Rebels and Empire.

S&V makes no sense to me, since Star Wars is Rebels vs Empire all the way. I don't particularly mind it existing, even though I'd never play it myself (I prefer Rebels if I can), but further factions are pointless IMO. I mean who wants to see some obscure EU force vs S&V? A load of unrecognisable ships on the table and no clear link to Star Wars? You're not playing STAR WARS X-Wing anymore at that point.

Edited by madquest8

Republic and Separatists. They're the only ones that make sense commercially, unless the new movies introduce a distinct new faction.

Well... maybe the Vong, but it would be considerably riskier, particularly given that the NJO books weren't exactly universally adored. I think that as long as there are cards worth having, hard core X Wing players would buy just about any new faction, but casual players will, I suspect, need ships they've seen in a movie.

For that precise reason, I will be very interested to see if FFG make any mention about the general uptake/sales of S&V outside of the tournament scene over the next few months/years.

Honestly the only 'faction' remaining that makes sense is civilian. This would include local security forces and private companies powerful enough to field their own fleets. It would feel right because they'd clash with pirates and criminals (S&V) or the Rebels/Imperials depending on alignment.

I would feel like this faction should focus on swarms of low PS skill pilots to reflect their lack of military training/experience. Also maybe they would have pretty modern ships as large corporations and security forces can afford good tech and will not have the ramshackle look of Rebels and S&V.

Security forces. Most governments and large corporations had their own fleets and the occasional distinct ship.

Yeah, I could envision Corsec - They even had x-wings, so we could see some X-wing love... and i'm sure they would have several of there own ships - the trouble though - is that they'd need more z-95s, and im not sure how distinct they'd end up being from S&V really

The KUS/CIS Confedaracy of Indipendent Systems would be the 4th faction.

they existed in both civil wars had thier own territory and Darth Vader himself recruited a CIS pilot to train to form his very own fighter squadron the Black 8.

the name of the Pilot was Nas Ghent

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nas_Ghent

i really would like to see the CIS give them a light blue color for thier firing arcs and ere we go

but first of all give Scum and the original 2 factions some love first theres no need for a 4th faction now but giving us some diversity i call the CIS cause droids and so on

as fifth i could think of the Wong with Purple Firing arcs and that being the last faction i assume.

Edited by TheLurker

Look at S&V. With the exception of the Y-Wing and Slave 1 (which have already been released in previous waves) everything is EU. Look at recent releases .. EU. A hardcore SW fan can appreciate these ships .. but to a possible customer who looks twice at the X-Wing game because he likes SW as a kid .. it's just not SW anymore.

I would argue that we'll not see a 4th faction. Instead, we'll see either:

1. Ep VII, VIII and IX ships in the game. Based on the preview, we had X-wings (a little different), the Falcon and Ties. Pending the range of ships we see in the new trilogy they might just add them to the current game. Example, new X-Wing model with similar (but different) dial but Ties and Falcon remained unchanged (though Falcon clearly needs a K-Turn based on the preview ;) )

2. If there are a large range of new ships in the EpVII, VIII and IX we will see X-Wing 2.0. 

With these movies (and possible spin offs) just around the corner, I'd say FFG will have their hands full with that.

The only chance of a 4th faction .. is if option 1 is followed AND there is a distinctive new enemy in the new trilogy. Given we see regular Ties taking on the Falcon .. this seems unlikely.

I'd rather see Special one off expansions.  Obviously TOR ships would make no sense in the game, but I know my brother and I would both snap up an Ebon Hawk, and we can't be the only ones.  So long as they didn't include any unique upgrades (other than special ones that can only be used with the Special ship) so other players didn't feel compelled to use them, I think that would be good.  You'd have to allow them to be used in any faction.

Ok, so if FFG did a 4th faction, what could, or would, it be?  I can think of 3 possiblities:

1. Hell no

2. From four thousand years ago?

3. See answer one

4th faction has already been confirmed.

EWOKS!

Their fighter craft are made up out of logs and held together by the sheer force of cynical merchandising.

They shoot arrows powered by armour piercing plot devices.

Every move on their dial is a white 3 k turn, even the red manoeuvres.

Their upgrades are to allow them to gain magic power through devouring their helpless captives.

They can take c3po.

4th faction has already been confirmed.

EWOKS!

Their fighter craft are made up out of logs and held together by the sheer force of cynical merchandising.

They shoot arrows powered by armour piercing plot devices.

Every move on their dial is a white 3 k turn, even the red manoeuvres.

Their upgrades are to allow them to gain magic power through devouring their helpless captives.

They can take c3po.

hehe another try hard troller ;P u amuse me *claps*

Not gonna see another faction... at least for the next 100 years.   however, I'll play along for the sake of discussion.

I would venture to think that if FFG made another faction, it wouldn't actually be from the Star Wars universe.   Perhaps we'll see Disney grant them rights to make a "Guardians of the Galaxy" faction, since they own Marvel as well.  I mean, since were having fun right?

They won't. The current three cover everything.

As for the suggestions:

Prequel is out of FFG's stated time period (GCW going forward)

TOR and KoTOR are out by orders of magnitude more.

Vong have been completely annihilated by the canon changes.

Wave 3 should have been 'Mercenaries', ships usable by both Rebels and Empire.

And dilute faction identities even more?

Edited by TIE Pilot

[...]

1. Ep VII, VIII and IX ships in the game. [...] (though Falcon clearly needs a K-Turn based on the preview ;) )

Don't think so, you have been fooled, this is not the K-Turn you are looking for:

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/MVhkmQa

(Click on your own risk, the illusion will be smashed to pieces...)

You have S & V, the other faction if it comes to pass would be Fringers, those who arn't any of the other three, ( you could get non imp law enforcement agencies EG corsec (corran in his xwing?) You could get the rest of the azzameens, and other various smugglers and such) 

Plenty of ships to be had plenty of aspects to explore Do they have anything to do with the empire or Rebels?

Not gonna see another faction... at least for the next 100 years.   however, I'll play along for the sake of discussion.

I would venture to think that if FFG made another faction, it wouldn't actually be from the Star Wars universe.   Perhaps we'll see Disney grant them rights to make a "Guardians of the Galaxy" faction, since they own Marvel as well.  I mean, since were having fun right?

that could be interesting, falcon vs milano