Sign in to follow this  
Vinterdraken

Running Starfall

A little over a week ago I ran my first AoR game as a GM when a old friend was in town for the weekend and he had mentioned earlier that he wanted to play some Star Wars. Being pressed for time and wanting to save the adventure in the core book for another time I dived into my old WEG Star Wars stuff and dusted of Starfall, a adventure I had never gotten around to running.I wanted to just mention how it went and my thoughts on the adventure since I got some great advice on balancing encounters on the forum.

Spoiler Warning by the way if you arent the GM of your group and your GM is the type to run older adventures.

Overall I found that using a WEG suppliment with the FFG rules was a pretty easy and pain free experience. Both the distance and difficulty ranges for skills in WEG is pretty similiar to the one used in AoR so with a quick glance one could easily make a call how hard a role called for in the adventure should be and it was fairly easy to set up the fights aswell.

One of the great things with Starfall is that almost everything the players will encounter has stats in the Core book so there was little prep needed there. The one thing I remember that I needed to throw together myself on the spot was a interigation droid but that didnt take to much effort. Can be a little tricky to balance the stormtroopers into groups but with the tips I got here that worked out fairly quickly.

My group consisted of a Selonian Ace Gunner, Human Spy Scout and a Drall Soldier Medic. I think the adventure would have been a little better balanced with a group of atleast 4 pc´s but it worked out with all that healing. Since the players begin without gear we completely skipped the buying gear step and that saved us some time. Suprisingly enough my players didnt object to the adventure beginning with them already captured although it was clear that they were thinking that they wouldnt have gotten into the situation if they had controlled their previous actions. It would be easy with the setup to have characters gear available on the detention level since the characters are captured when already onboard the star destroyer and are the only prisoners onboard.

One thing that was great with this particular adventure as a first try for the system was that there was something to do for everyone in the group. The spy really shined when it came to dangerous climbs and jumps, rappeling on to a AT-ST during the climax. The Ace got to take charge in the AT-ST duel with the captain and show of his vehicle skills and the medic ofcourse was the constant hero by keeping everyone on their feet. I think that most classes can have their moment aboard depending on how the group charges forward. A slicer would have been a great addition to the group as their is plenty of "tech tech" computer stuff. Had the players tried for a more sneaky approach and worn stolen uniforms a diplomat would have had their chances and there is plenty of combat for more traditional soldiers and commanders.

It was suprisingly easy to keep the group on track and stop them from just wandering around the Destroyer. Unlike one group I usually play with they stayed clear of the bridge and didnt try any suicidal assaults. Wessex was a great tool to influence were the group would head next and get them into just enough trouble. And for once the players seemed to grasp how dangerous a straight up fight could be and more than once ran away from a fight.

Our group took some time getting used to destiny points and not a whole lot of them were used. I did make sure to save a dark side destiny point during the climax so Lira Wessex could make her getaway if I ever follow up on this adventure, the look on my players faces when I slowly flipped the token during their escape was priceless, they instantly knew that the mysterious robbed figure they had meet had gotten away.

I allways make sure to throw together a soundtrack each time I run an adventure. Thought I would mention that I primarily used the Forced Unleashed ost on this one with some of the Imperial tracks from the trilogy thrown in their with a select few tracks from Republic Commando. Basicly I built a sound that was slightly dark and oppresive and heavy on the Imperial feel to make the players really feel like they were trapped in an imperial Star Destroyer and alot of tracks with some action to them as the pace was constantly pretty high. There was a great moment when the Imperial March by pure chance started playing just as the captain appeared on the lift in his AT-ST that really blew away my players.

Overall i recomend this adventure if anyones looking for a exciting and fast paced action romp. Im glad I finally got a chance to play it and its made me excited to convert some of my other WEG stuff that requires a bit more work. My favorite WEG supplement was allways the beginners box and the Battle for Eden, a campaign ive run several times. Started working on stats and such for the different critters and enemies that show up there so i can pull it out someday. Ill share my thoughts on that another time.

Awesome. Thank for you taking the time to write up how it went.

I've not yet run any of the WEG stuff for my players but I was eyeing up Starfall as a potential good one to slip into a campaign. Sounds like it should work out quite well!

I have Starfall but I've never run it for any of my players. My reasoning being, it's a really useful adventure to have in reserve if they're ever captured by the Empire. Whether it snatches them up from space or they're captured on the ground and put aboard to be shipped someplace else, it's a great jailbreak adventure. And having it ready also means that you don't need to panic if you see your players getting creamed in an encounter because you don't know what to come up with if they're captured.

I converted Starfall for EOTE (though it might work even better in an AOR-oritented session).

I also converted Otherspace and got some good use out of the Fear rules. I used a version of the rakghouls for the Charon. I found the rakghouls on the web and cannot recall where now, but the stats fit nicely.

It was neat to use the fold-out maps that WEG included with the earlier modules. They are a little dated compared to the sleek maps and art in FFG's Star Wars roleplaying but they were appreciated by the players.

The scripts were a little clunky for some players, but we used those too.

Tatooine Manhunt is a classic (and Strikeforce: Shantipole too).

My next conversion is The Isis Coordinates as an AOR mission and as an immediate follow-up to Onslaught at Arda I. They are very similar experiences with their canyon trench runs and races against time to save a secret rebel base.

I love using old WEG adventures, they are so easy to convert. Also I use Instant Adventures for "filler" episodes when I don't have anything planned... Great stuff to have as a resource these old WEG Star Wars adventures can really spice up and enhance any EotE or AoR campaign!

Yeah, it's amazing how useful the old WEG adventures still are, even more so with FFG's system since coming up with NPC stats on the fly is incredibly simple since it's pretty easy to eyeball how much of a threat a given NPC should be based upon their d6 stats.

Not really a conversion per se, just a way use the WEG stuff without too much difficulty. As the OP mentioned, the rules are similar enough to cross over with difficulties.

WEG / FFG

Very Easy / Simple (-)

Easy / Easy (1)

Moderate / Average (2)

Difficult / Hard (3)

Very Difficult / Daunting (4)

Heroic / Formidible (5)

Heroic + / Start upgrading dice per +10 or just call for an Impossible roll.

Not much so far, but the modules I've run it worked pretty spot on.

Edited by Jareth Valar

I've run Tales of the Smoking Blaster, Tatooine Manhunt, and about to run either Graveyard of Alderaan (really personal for 2 of the players; 1 was from there, and the other lost a family member he was holonet chatting with when it blew) or Scavenger Hunt next. Can't decide.

Pobably going to wait on Graveyard of Alderaan until the're deeper into the rebellion....or use it to GET them deeper into the rebellion. HHmmmmm. :-D