Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

How splashable is Gandalf hero?

Well, the answer to the question is probably that he is not splashable due to his hight threat. But my question is, what other good Gandalf decks have you come up with that don't include Glorfindel or Elrond? I really like Gandalf hero, but I don't want to build the typical Vilya deck with him. So, do you have any suggestions for a good, proven Gandalf deck that has not been posted before, with other than the typical heroes? Hopefully with Tactics or Leadership. I should also mention that I'm talking about a solo deck. Yeah, I know I'm lazy, but I want to read your suggestions.

I put Gandalf in a deck with Aragorn and Gimli for my campaign play through and it worked very well. In general, the only problem is his high starting threat. Then again, his resources can be used to play basically every threat reduction event. So yeah, I fully agree with trololo. You can pretty much splash him in any deck with minimum adjustments. The only exception might be secrecy decks, for the obvious reason stated before.

Edited by tricil

The only exception might be secrecy decks, for the obvious reason stated before.

Come on: play Gandalf as your only hero... you know you want to ;)
I think that on easy mode it would be possible. I won couple of times passage through mirkwood playing with only Aragorn and no allies in deck. It needs good starting hand (steward and celebrian stone), but nothing more.

Gandalf/Sam/Aragorn (core) worked surprisingly well for me, despite reservations I had on the threat. It allows you to play mono-Leadership from the top of your deck (and I threw in a Song of King just in case...). Sam did have Noble Hero attached, but I think the combo would have been great even without that +1 willpower. 

I tried pretty hard to make a solo Gandalf deck, as in he was the only hero. It was a fun deck. Run all of the good Lore and Leadership secrecy stuff and some sturdy and dependable 1-cost allies, such as Henmark Riversong and Snowborn Scout. If you can get a Timely Aid off on turn one or two, and get Resourceful going on Gandalf, it is pretty fun. 

Just to be clear, secrecy will not be a case where Gandalf is not "splashable", because "splashing" term means combining several spheres in one deck, which has nothing to do with secrecy.

I thought "splashable" meant that you can include it in any deck and it will be helpful to some extent, be it in multi or monosphere. Splashing has nothing to do with combining several spheres as far as I know, and most secrecy decks will be multi sphere. Secrecy has to do with low starting threat, something Gandalf has a hard time doing with three heroes. With that said, I could imagine a secrecy deck with Gandalf and Glorfindel or Lore Pippin.

Nope trololo is correct, splashing means using a few cards from sphere C in a deck with sphere A or A/B. So, that's why I agree with him that Gandalf is one of the most splashable heroes of the game.

Edited by jormungandr

I thought "splashable" meant that you can include it in any deck and it will be helpful to some extent, be it in multi or monosphere. Splashing has nothing to do with combining several spheres as far as I know, and most secrecy decks will be multi sphere. Secrecy has to do with low starting threat, something Gandalf has a hard time doing with three heroes. With that said, I could imagine a secrecy deck with Gandalf and Glorfindel or Lore Pippin.

The term "splashing" in card games originates from Magic: The Gathering and is used to describe decks that use more than one color of magic (example: black and white). So, accordingly, in LotR it's only applicible to spheres. It has nothing to do with secrecy, mate. Being splashable is an ability to perform well within different sphered decks.

I can't believe we're arguing semantics. Wait, yes I can, and I'm joining in!

While "splashing" may have its roots in Mtg. I believe that its use has transcended beyond the mixing of a color pallet of magic. I believe that it most often used to describe any game element being lightly added to a deck:

- I have a Gondor deck but I'm splashing elves

- I have a healing deck, but I'm splashing card draw

- I have a defense deck but I'm splashing a will power boosting card

- I have a tactics deck deck, but I'm splashing leadership 

Plus, the link below shows the definition of "splashable" according to a Yu-Gi-Oh wiki. And we all know that Yu-Gi-Oh sources are the gold standard in card games!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Splashable

By that definition then Gandalf is NOT splashable because neutral "Is not a sphere."  ;)

You don't need to have a sphere to be splashable, you just need to work well within different-sphered decks. Which he does ;)

Thanatopsis, since when Yu-Gi-Oh becaume a gold standard of card games? It always was and always will be MtG, no matter how I hate it (I consider MtG to be too archaic and bloated). And, the main point of your post can be summed up in one phrase - "you believe".

I built a fun Gandalf-Idraen-Eowyn deck that used gandallf and spirit's player deck and dIscard pile manipulation to accelerate resources (zigi, hidden cache, gandalf's staff and steward) then bring off sphere big gun allies (faramir, beorn etc) into play (gandalf and stand and fight). as long as you have eowyn and gandlaf, the second spirit hero could be lots of different options, but I liked idraen because of the built in reading and she's not spirit glorfindel. This deck works well solo and in multiplayer.

Gandalf is second most splashable hero, with spirit glorifndel holding the top spot (and probably always will). Gandalf fixes whatever problems a decks has, providing resources and card draw for tactics, willpower and resources for lore, more combat for spirit, and whatever it is that leadership is lacking I guess. He's great, and if you're going to play non-solo, you can build all kinds of interesting decks with him. But I like high threat aggro decks so he fits my play style.

I really dig Gandalf with Theodred and Sam. You can easily get to 6+ resources per round and have a lot of really great 4+ cost cards to take advantage of that (and synergize with Flame of Anor). Timely Aid is actually fantastic in this deck.

Gandalf, without a doubt, is the most splash-able hero released to date. He can pay for any card (made easy with his Pipe), give you card draw, resource acceleration, and shadow cancellation with his Staff, and his willpower, attack, and defense allow him to fulfill any role a deck may lack, and do it extremely well at that!

With the upcoming release of Shadowfax, he will become even more splash-able and powerful allowing him to function better in multiplayer (giving him ranged and sentinel in addition to whatever awesome effect it may have).

Glofindel may have low threat, but he is nowhere near as versatile as the Grey Wizard.

Gandalf, without a doubt, is the most splash-able hero released to date. He can pay for any card (made easy with his Pipe), give you card draw, resource acceleration, and shadow cancellation with his Staff, and his willpower, attack, and defense allow him to fulfill any role a deck may lack, and do it extremely well at that!

With the upcoming release of Shadowfax, he will become even more splash-able and powerful allowing him to function better in multiplayer (giving him ranged and sentinel in addition to whatever awesome effect it may have).

Glofindel may have low threat, but he is nowhere near as versatile as the Grey Wizard.

Just wondering,

Where you Lord of the Winds, Gwaihir? I miss him and his videos and I somehow I think you're related to him.

Dunno why, so just tell me if I'm wrong.  :unsure: