Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Master

What kind of expansion you want the least?

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

Which type of expansion would you least like to see, don't consider previous edition expansion only! Basically, what kind of theme for an expansion would leave you cold or you would not consider buying?bostezo.gif 

A "western or far-west" theme would be the one for me, it would stay on the shelve. No cowboy or indian for my Talismandemonio.gif

Cheer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything too modern.

I don't mind a bit of technology, but I would prefer it limited to clockwork things or steam power... or even magic!

I also wouldn't really like anything too heavily themed on other cultures, like the Far East and such. I wouldn't mind if we had a ronin or an odd asagai wielding tribesman in the land of Talisman, but just one or two dotted around...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Talismanisland. Cultural crossovers need a reason. If an Asian or African themed board was added than the characters would have a reason to be there.

It would be easier to just have artists draw on the diversity of races and put them in the generic fantasy milieu of Talisman rather than sticking in a 'Ninja" cause they are kewl or in vouge.

The same with tech stuff. Right now '30s era pulp is popoular in gaming, don't shoe horn something in to appeal to a trend or nich market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the City, as it was, would be the one I wouldn't buy. Particularly for those master level characters, so easily acquired, that through game balance out the window. The board itself was okay in a geneal way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Everything that has not to do with fantasy or middle age

i don't want to much technology in Talisman( example= timescape)

 

But the City is also not a favorite of mine ! ( But if FFG makes it, i buy itgui%C3%B1o.gif

They must include more things in the city to make it more interesting.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Master said:

 

A "western or far-west" theme would be the one for me, it would stay on the shelve. No cowboy or indian for my Talismandemonio.gif

Cheer

Hi Old Master,

I was wondering about something..

If the Cowboy or Indian Brave character will show up in these editions, are you then gonna put those two also on the shelve..? gran_risa.gif 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Velhart said:

 

Hi Old Master,

I was wondering about something..

If the Cowboy or Indian Brave character will show up in these editions, are you then gonna put those two also on the shelve..? gran_risa.gif 

 

Hi Velhart,

Hope you had a nice holiday and lots of time to play Talismangran_risa.gif.

As for a far west theme expansion I stand by what I said previously, I would not purchase it and character like indians and cowboys would be banned from my game if they showed up in the city expansion for example.

There is still so many types and genre closer to the Talisman world that haven't shown up yet.

At heart, I am no absolute game completist and I do prefer to "tweak" game to my liking by purchasing multiple expansions that I can homebrew and add some houserule where neccessary and to the satisfaction of the group in play.

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Master said:

 

Velhart said:

 

 

Hi Old Master,

I was wondering about something..

If the Cowboy or Indian Brave character will show up in these editions, are you then gonna put those two also on the shelve..? gran_risa.gif 

 

 

 

Hi Velhart,

Hope you had a nice holiday and lots of time to play Talismangran_risa.gif.

As for a far west theme expansion I stand by what I said previously, I would not purchase it and character like indians and cowboys would be banned from my game if they showed up in the city expansion for example.

There is still so many types and genre closer to the Talisman world that haven't shown up yet.

At heart, I am no absolute game completist and I do prefer to "tweak" game to my liking by purchasing multiple expansions that I can homebrew and add some houserule where neccessary and to the satisfaction of the group in play.

Cheers

 

 

Oke, i understand gui%C3%B1o.gif

Anyway, i think we don't have to worry about it, because i discovered that they are not officially made for 2th edition.

It was written in the expert book, but they are fake, and made by the creator of that bookgui%C3%B1o.gif

PS: Yes, i did have a nice holiday, but did not play talisman actually..sad.gif

I visit my parents on that daygui%C3%B1o.gif

-------

PS: have you look at the other topics?

i have reply to your text etcgran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Velhart,

I think that futuristic tech or even that of modern doesn't fit with the fantasy theme of talisman. Does a knight fighting a futuristic commando really make sense??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely not creating a Cowboy or Indian Brave now, as I agree about not having a wild west theme to an expansion.

100% no TIMESCAPE sci-fi theme or a high tech theme!!!

Ell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khornemunster said:

I agree with Velhart,

I think that futuristic tech or even that of modern doesn't fit with the fantasy theme of talisman. Does a knight fighting a futuristic commando really make sense??

No way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khornemunster said:

I agree with Velhart,

I think that futuristic tech or even that of modern doesn't fit with the fantasy theme of talisman. Does a knight fighting a futuristic commando really make sense??

To be fair, there are genres within genres, sub -genres within… etc.

  For example, one of the most beloved, awarded science fiction writer, Andre Norton, wrote the incredible Witch World series, which is basically a medieval-ish fantasy world. But right from the beginning, people from "real Earth" (it is unknown what planet the Witch World actually is)  travel through 'gates' or portals that seem equally tech or fantasy, clearly not necessarily one or the other. Several novels into the series some characters travel from the Witch World to a desolated and destroyed future world - clearly not their own, ever.

 But on the whole, I agree with a previous poster who indicated that perhaps the stray character or two is okay, unless of course an actual board "explains" the relationship *in-world* between the other/main boards and one that seems discordant.

 I think I too would not buy a board/expansion that featured the American Wild West, but I would be okay if future sets included 2, maybe 3 cards that appear to be time travelers, that came to the T world. Since many encounter cards have the exit out(discard) once an effect has happened, these cards wouldn't dramatically alter the game..

 example: If a time traveler shows up (kind of like the Dr.Who-ish person in the old Timescape), maybe he offers to change the day/night card to the character's preference.  Maybe another type of time traveler can alter alignments. Another could remove, enhance, or alter dragon scales.

  Maybe another time traveler, as your companion, or some device he gives… could allow a player to pick a different alt. ending? (only when hidden are used?).

  I'm sorta different from many posters here; I would like to see MORE integration between elements of the various expansions.

    I want to find secret Keys (trinkets, basically) that allow you to find secret passages to take you from the Castle to the Dungeon, or the Chapel to somewhere else. Things like that. Maybe there could be other kinds of quests with other rewards? Encounter cards that 'give' an obligation to take certain objects to certain places, to receive new rewards or enhancements. Okay, thats what I want, but I guess I mostly agree with everyone, just a little is okay.

-Oberon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talismanamsilat said:

Well it's probably going to be a big box Forest Expansion or a big box City Expansion!

Ell.

I really can't wait! I'm in awe of what ever big box they do. I've never seen/played a Forest set before; I've only played the long ago 2nd edition. City, if updated neatly, would be great too.

-Oberon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some kind of zombie apcolyps ending might be quite fun. 

I can see them making a vampire expansion as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smairn said:

Some kind of zombie apcolyps ending might be quite fun. 

I can see them making a vampire expansion as well.

 

I like the idea of a zombie apocalypse type alternate ending.  Maybe it could come in a undead expansion that adds a type of dark citedel or crypt board that connects onto the graveyard corner of the main board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think it could be interesting something connected with water… maybe connected with the Storm River source. Enemies could be mermaids, tritons, but also octopus, krakens and sharks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I definitely wouldn't go for this 'Timescape' stuff, or any Wild West or Steampunk expansion. If I don't want to play fantasy, I don't play Talisman.

And there are so many possibilities, as you guys say: ocean, crypt, swamp, maybe even some kind of crazy volcano sort of thing… just keep it fantasy! cool.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want the least is an expansion that burdens the game with more mechanics.

I like the Reaper, as it is minimally invasive: Roll a 1? Move the reaper. Done.  I understand the werewolf is similar, but with night/day.  Those are fine.

The dragon expansion stretches my tolerance for mechanics in Talisman.  Somehow remembering to pull a scale token every turn is an extra timesink for me, not to mention the "what now" effect. I'm sure it will become rote and take less time with more plays, but it is just enough. Talisman, to me, should be a simple as roll, draw a card or two, do what they say, pass the dice.

I'm ok with more mechanics that are built into the cards. Please no more expansions that add mechanics to the turn.

As for themes, I liked Timescape, and wouldn't mind it.  I actually like the suggestion of a chaos expansion, rather than timescape.

I agree Wild West would be offputting, as would any non-fantastical theme.  That said, I wouldn't mind a few out-of-place-and-time characters to have fallen into the magical world of Talisman, just for fun.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: Dragon Expansion Mechanics

Two options for you to make things simpler:

1) A Dragon token is drawn once per round by a different player. So in a 2 player game, Player 1 draws a token and then takes his turn, player 2 takes his turn, player 1 takes his turn, player 2 draws a token and then takes his turn, and so on.

Therefore, in a 2 player game a token is drawn every 3 turns, 3 player every 4 turns, 4 player every 5 turns, and so on. If you wish to increase how often a scale is placed on a space by using the once per round mechanic, reduce the number of scales needed to crown a Draconic Lord to 2 scales instead of 3.

OR;

2) Whenever a player draws one or more Enemies, he must draw a Dragon token before completing his turn (similar to the Event mechanic in Blood Moon).

Again, if you wish to increase how often a scale is placed on a space, just follow the above alternative rule.

Both of these rule variants have been playtested and work very well depending upon how often you wish Dragon tokens to be drawn. The first variant sees Dragon tokens appear more often than the second variant, although if you are playing with 5 or 6 players they are pretty close to each other.

Regards,

Ell.

Ps. You could also use the alternative rule which allows a scale to be placed immediately on a space rather than being placed on a Draconic Lord. The colour of the scale indicates which Draconic Lord is crowned as the Dragon King. This variant allows scales to be placed on a space much more quickly than normal, leading to a game with a heavier Dragon influence. Although if you use this variant rule, 5 Dragon Cards need slight adjustment to their text as scales are no longer placed on Draconic Lords!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talismanamsilat said:

RE: Dragon Expansion Mechanics

Two options for you to make things simpler:

1) A Dragon token is drawn once per round by a different player. So in a 2 player game, Player 1 draws a token and then takes his turn, player 2 takes his turn, player 1 takes his turn, player 2 draws a token and then takes his turn, and so on.

Therefore, in a 2 player game a token is drawn every 3 turns, 3 player every 4 turns, 4 player every 5 turns, and so on. If you wish to increase how often a scale is placed on a space by using the once per round mechanic, reduce the number of scales needed to crown a Draconic Lord to 2 scales instead of 3.

OR;

2) Whenever a player draws one or more Enemies, he must draw a Dragon token before completing his turn (similar to the Event mechanic in Blood Moon).

Again, if you wish to increase how often a scale is placed on a space, just follow the above alternative rule.

Both of these rule variants have been playtested and work very well depending upon how often you wish Dragon tokens to be drawn. The first variant sees Dragon tokens appear more often than the second variant, although if you are playing with 5 or 6 players they are pretty close to each other.

Regards,

Ell.

Ps. You could also use the alternative rule which allows a scale to be placed immediately on a space rather than being placed on a Draconic Lord. The colour of the scale indicates which Draconic Lord is crowned as the Dragon King. This variant allows scales to be placed on a space much more quickly than normal, leading to a game with a heavier Dragon influence. Although if you use this variant rule, 5 Dragon Cards need slight adjustment to their text as scales are no longer placed on Draconic Lords!

If you decide to use the drawing of Enemies to initialise drawing a Dragon token, characters DO NOT draw a Dragon token when drawing Dragon Cards. (Each Dragon deck contains at least 50% Enemies; you could draw Dragon tokens but there would be too many scales appearing I think!)

Ell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0