Sign in to follow this  
Crit Happens

Math wingerz on Biggs

Of course I'd never take him because I consider his ability broken, but if theoretically I did I'd accept he's a dead man and just take him bereft of upgrades.

I've had to kill Biggs plenty of times when I first started playing and it's never really been more than a slight annoyance.

I would be interested to know about your definition of broken if you consider that he's never been more than a slight annoyance.

Broken as in it removes choice from the other player as they must shoot Biggs, and I consider removing choice to be bad design.

Now ion effects take movement away but to do that they must first hit you, you can counter ion weapons with manoeuvring and by rolling evades, Biggs is always on and it's far harder to get around his ability.

So I guess that Captain Kagi is also broken since you must TL him, Jax is broken since it removes the choice of taking an evade or focus action while at range 1.

Maybe broken was a little too much of a word. Considering it a bad design choice, now this I can understand.

By that standard you could call arc-dodgers broken because the entire point of their defensive strategy is removing your opponent's choice to shoot at all.

Some people consider the Phantom broken (I personally don't) for that reason so you're not too far from the truth.

Of course I'd never take him because I consider his ability broken, but if theoretically I did I'd accept he's a dead man and just take him bereft of upgrades.

I've had to kill Biggs plenty of times when I first started playing and it's never really been more than a slight annoyance.

I would be interested to know about your definition of broken if you consider that he's never been more than a slight annoyance.

Broken as in it removes choice from the other player as they must shoot Biggs, and I consider removing choice to be bad design.

Now ion effects take movement away but to do that they must first hit you, you can counter ion weapons with manoeuvring and by rolling evades, Biggs is always on and it's far harder to get around his ability.

So I guess that Captain Kagi is also broken since you must TL him, Jax is broken since it removes the choice of taking an evade or focus action while at range 1.

Maybe broken was a little too much of a word. Considering it a bad design choice, now this I can understand.

Too much of a word, do you mean too strong perhaps?

That would make more sense yes!  :P Sorry for my occasional (?) bad english.

By that standard you could call arc-dodgers broken because the entire point of their defensive strategy is removing your opponent's choice to shoot at all.

Some people consider the Phantom broken (I personally don't) for that reason so you're not too far from the truth.
Denying or controlling your opponent's choices is a good strategy. It may be painful when it's done to you but it's part of the game. Putting R2-D2 on Luke or Corran is a similar thing, you are creating something your opponent has to find an answer to. Biggs is no different, either force your opponent to split his force up or focus him down. It's not that tough a job to do. Edited by Major Tom

That would make more sense yes!  :P Sorry for my occasional (?) bad english.

No problem :) we can agree to disagree but I do think his ability is too strong, if it just affected the first to fire then fine but your entire squad is a bit much.

No problem :) we can agree to disagree but I do think his ability is too strong, if it just affected the first to fire then fine but your entire squad is a bit much.

I personally don't see how Bigg's ability is too strong. In fact, I see it as exactly what we need in this game, mainly because it screws over what I feel to be the least well-integrated rule of the entire game: primary weapon turrets

Since Biggs is always a viable target for turrets (unless he's out of range) he's many times more frustrating for them, and that makes me very very happy ^_^

So there's my infallible logic: Biggs is balanced because **** turrets.

also he's in an x-wing, a ship with no access to post-maneuver movement unless you tack on 4 points of upgrades, despite having an ability that is incredibly reliant on positioning

Edited by ficklegreendice

I am, surprised you guys don't keep Biggs alive longer. I don't use him to tank ALL incoming fire, what a waste! Use him to protect the more vital elements of your squadron. Keep him at range 3 where you can. Have him the other side of asteroids.

If he dies first exchange of fire I would think I had played badly.

Oh, don't mistake asking other's opinions for not knowing how to play. At least I have an open mind to other ideas, unlike many in this forum :D

RoV

I am, surprised you guys don't keep Biggs alive longer. I don't use him to tank ALL incoming fire, what a waste! Use him to protect the more vital elements of your squadron.

Unless I'm mistaken, the player using Biggs has no saying if Biggs is the target or not.

The ability reads: ''Other friendly ship at range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead''

So, as soon as the attacker has a line of sight and in range of Biggs, and Biggs is in range 1 of the intended target, the attacker MUST target Biggs. Of course, you can still keep Biggs in range 3 and try to hide him behind asteroids, but if he's in range 1 of friendly ship, he must take the shot for them, no questions asked.... it sucks to be Biggs.

'Tis better to use Biggs to divide the incoming damage than to soak it.

After all, if they manage to kill an X-Wing at all, that's a pretty hefty advantage for them.

Better to force them to try to boil two down at once, giving you substantially more time with full offensive power.

I am, surprised you guys don't keep Biggs alive longer. I don't use him to tank ALL incoming fire, what a waste! Use him to protect the more vital elements of your squadron.

Unless I'm mistaken, the player using Biggs has no saying if Biggs is the target or not.

The ability reads: ''Other friendly ship at range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead''

So, as soon as the attacker has a line of sight and in range of Biggs, and Biggs is in range 1 of the intended target, the attacker MUST target Biggs. Of course, you can still keep Biggs in range 3 and try to hide him behind asteroids, but if he's in range 1 of friendly ship, he must take the shot for them, no questions asked.... it sucks to be Biggs.

I think the point that was being made is that Biggs should never be at range one of something like a Rookie Pilot or a Bandit unless doing so would let both Biggs and the cheaper ship stay alive for another round. Ideally, Biggs will be at range 3 of half your enemies guns and out of range or out of arc of the other half forcing your oponnent to split their fire instead of being able to focus either ship down. Biggs shouldn't be taking the shots for filler and he shouldn't be taking all the shots for your aces. Edited by WWHSD

Yes, that is true, IF the Rebel player was silly enough to plonk Biggs in range of everyone, which was sort of my point.

RoV