Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn Rockfist

Updated Tournament Rules are out

Here is the link to them,

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/4e/1b/4e1b4113-6244-4d68-9917-586914552908/x-wing_tournamentrules_v221.pdf

All that looks to be different than the last 2.2.1 version is the addition of Scum in the Squad Building section on page 2.  All the other red ink is the same as the one from Oct.

And debris tokens are still relegated for casual play only. Disappointing. Would have been nice to have that added level of planning.

And they always will until Imps have ships that profit from Stress. (and beside Soontir there is none).

That people actually ask for them, shows me that there also (beside the fun part) might be an intention to use this in their advantage (which would favor more or less just one faction at the moment) and FFG sees that too...

Im pretty confident we will not see a legal use of Debris in tournaments until much much later...

And debris tokens are still relegated for casual play only. Disappointing. Would have been nice to have that added level of planning.

And they always will until Imps have ships that profit from Stress. (and beside Soontir there is none).

That people actually ask for them, shows me that there also (beside the fun part) might be an intention to use this in their advantage (which would favor more or less just one faction at the moment) and FFG sees that too...

Im pretty confident we will not see a legal use of Debris in tournaments until much much later...

That is one reason, but I think the big one is that they are not provided in the Core Set, and that would mean that people wishing to play in tournaments have to buy a specific expension beyond the core set, whether they intend to use the Outrider and Decimator or not, which seems to be against the ethos.

Oh, absolutely I'd try to use it to my advantage. If I see a Phantom across the table, I want debris tokens. If I see Dash across the table, I want rocks.

Of course, when setting up the game with only asteroids, you're still trying to set up to your advantage. I always pick second when I have intiative and PS doesn't matter, because placing the last obstacle is far more valuable for setting up than placing the big rock.

That is one reason, but I think the big one is that they are not provided in the Core Set, and that would mean that people wishing to play in tournaments have to buy a specific expension beyond the core set, whether they intend to use the Outrider and Decimator or not, which seems to be against the ethos.

How is this any different than having to buy a certain expansion for certain cards?

How is this any different than having to buy a certain expansion for certain cards?

It's not REQUIRED.

You choose what list you want to play, and it is entirely your decision.

You then look at what cards you need to field that list and can choose to go and buy them, or change lists.

By saying "You need Debris Fields to play tournaments" they are taking away that choice and requiring you to buy certain expansions.

I have no intention of buying an Outrider or another Decimator. What do I do if I'm crushing a Z-Swarm and run out of debris fields? How do you orient the debris fields when a ship is destroyed? Indeed, WHO places it, the destroyer or destroyee? There are too many variables and too much complexity for it to be suitably noted as 'required.'

And this is coming from someone who enjoys what they add to the playing field.

EDIT: (posted too soon) But I'm happy there won't be many new rules to memorize.

Edited by ArdusKaine

I have no intention of buying an Outrider or another Decimator. What do I do if I'm crushing a Z-Swarm and run out of debris fields? How do you orient the debris fields when a ship is destroyed? Indeed, WHO places it, the destroyer or destroyee? There are too many variables and too much complexity for it to be suitably noted as 'required.'

EDIT: (posted too soon) But I'm happy there won't be many new rules to memorize.

Debris Clouds are obstacles just like Asteroids. 3 come with the Outrider, and 3 come with the Decimator. You place them during the Asteroid placement (instead of using an asteroid you use a debris cloud). They aren't placed or moved during gameplay.

Date on the FAQ was changed as well, but I'm seeing nothing new.

The date on the FAQ PDF itself is still from September, even though on the support page it's listed as 2-20-2015

Nope the one linked above, if you click the link and let it load, says 2.20.2015

Also just checked the support section at the bottom of the X-Wing page....it, once loaded, has the 2.20.2015

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist

Debris Clouds are obstacles just like Asteroids. 3 come with the Outrider, and 3 come with the Decimator. You place them during the Asteroid placement (instead of using an asteroid you use a debris cloud). They aren't placed or moved during gameplay.

That sounds even MORE boring, to be honest. Jamming the places between asteroids with destroyed ship innards is far more fun than having an alternative obstacle that was purposef for the Outrider / Decimator scenarios.

That sounds even MORE boring, to be honest. Jamming the places between asteroids with destroyed ship innards is far more fun than having an alternative obstacle that was purposef for the Outrider / Decimator scenarios.

It changes things up. The tokens have a lower chance of actually dealing damage to a ship, and don't prevent you from firing, but the addition of a stress token punishes most ships.

Case in point: been running a lot of Panic Attack (3 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing). I actually don't care at all about flying through asteroids with this build because I have so much shielding, and will happily take a red move through a rock because I was going to lose that action anyway. Debris tokens would force a change in tactics, because taking a red move and double-stressing myself is generally going to be worse. If anything, I'll fly into the field so I only take the one token and take my chances with stressing myself again later.

It's also nice just to have some variety from the standard asteroid-belt dogfights that have made up every championship game so far.

The date on the FAQ PDF itself is still from September, even though on the support page it's listed as 2-20-2015

Nope the one linked above, if you click the link and let it load, says 2.20.2015

Also just checked the support section at the bottom of the X-Wing page....it, once loaded, has the 2.20.2015

I see the new Tournament Rules, but when I click the FAQ link under Support, it gives me this:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/21/e32124fe-bb23-406c-b081-0ff20b074f18/x-wing-faq-low-res.pdf

if you've found the new one, I'd love to see it.

I see the new Tournament Rules, but when I click the FAQ link under Support, it gives me this:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/21/e32124fe-bb23-406c-b081-0ff20b074f18/x-wing-faq-low-res.pdf

if you've found the new one, I'd love to see it.

Sorry for the confusion.  I thought they were referring to the Tournament Rules still having a Sept date.  No The FAQ is a whole different screwed up situation right now.  Because yes the FAQ on the support section has 20Feb2015, but it isn't even the current verson now.  There was an issue where the 2.1 version of the FAQ was up for some reason and they replaced it today with the correct 2.2 version.  There are other posts talking about that screw up.

Yeah I caugh my mistake Rogue lol.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist

It's not REQUIRED.

You choose what list you want to play, and it is entirely your decision.

You then look at what cards you need to field that list and can choose to go and buy them, or change lists.

By saying "You need Debris Fields to play tournaments" they are taking away that choice and requiring you to buy certain expansions.

No, but you are forced to play against opponents who have cards that you do not.

If both players got to choose three obstacles out of those they own, (just like when building a list out of your ships and cards) at the beginning of a match, it would be perfectly fine