Sign in to follow this  
Sekac

Tycho: Comfortable in the META?

With scum coming out so soon, a lot will be changing so this may be a realization too little, too late. But it occured to me today that Tycho may be better now than he ever has been. Here's the build that I came up with:

33: Tychow w/ VI, Test Pilot: PtL, Proton rockets

33 points for a two attack ship?! Yikes!

But before we dismiss him entirely let's look at some of the common trends in the current meta:

-Loaded up (fat) turrets

-Phantoms

-Stress

Fat turrets are strong, and generally are really good against arc dodgers. They're certainly scary to face, but TL/focused Prockets will go a long way to whittling them down. Unless we're talking falcon with R2-D2 and C3PO, focus/TLed range 1 shots can put pretty consistent damage on a big turreted ship too.

Phantoms are really good. Maneuverable, unpredictable, and they hit like a ton of bricks. There are a few ways to counter them, and higher PS is definitely one way. Tycho at PS 10 and some insane maneuverabily will cause a phantom fits. They're one mistake from a procket shot against 2 agility. Whisper getting one-shotted by Tycho is a very realistic possibility. Add in PS 10 corran and you've got a phantom (and soon, interceptor and Vader) hunting duo.

Stress. We all feel it from day to day. Well, everyone except Tycho. Action economy has reached some crazy levels with wave 5 and stress is a great way to shut that down. Tactician B-wings, R3-A2, Rebel captive, Mara Jade. These cards are becoming really common. Drown phantoms in stress and they can't trigger ACD. Kyle Katarn can only help Dash so much. But Tycho not only makes any stress mechanic your opponent paid for wasted against him, he also can protect the rest of your squad by firing at a rebel captive with high PS!

The squad these realizations inspired me to create is:

33: Tycho (as above)

43: Coran Horn w/ VI, Adv Sensors, R2-D2

12: Bandit

12: Bandit

Total: 100

I think this list has real merit. It's got the punch to dispatch big turrets in a hurry, it's got the PS and maneuverability to out arc-dodge arc-dodgers. It's got jousting, blocking, turtling, and speed. And it's got an A-wing! That alone warrants a try or few.

Edited by Sekac

Trade Advanced Sensors on Corran for Fire-Control System. He needs it, or he's just a REALLY expensive 3-attack ship. With the point you save, and the one you already have left over, slap Autothrusters on Tycho when they come out.

Exactly what I was thinking

What do you mean a 2 attack ship.  Tycho's dice?

Also, when I look at the point I see something very different.

33 for Tycho

43 for Horn.

Oops, yeah, I switched builds a few times in my head and didn't clean it up. Let me edit...

I am playing that 33 point Tycho as the wingmate to my Fat Han and it has been very good. It's very hard to kill and has been more versatle than the liability that the 3 Talas represented. Those Prockets tear through anything!

Of course with ice cold green dice, he can go down fast...:(

I am going to build a squad with Tycho, Horn, and probably 1 other decent ship, then slap some extra upgrades on them - instead of the 2 bandits. Maybe 1 bandit w/ a missile and more upgrades elsewhere.  A good, maneuverable, agile Rebel squad has the advantage of shields and firepower over most Imp squads. I'm too new to theorycraft about how it works against the unreleased faction yet, but I like this.

Yeah 2 points on AT is so worth it against turret ships the difference it makes is incredible and makes you feel more confident your expensive a-wing will not go pop in one round.

Doubly so should you encounter a decimator that's exposing itself.

Khyros has been doing well with his "Psycho Tycho" list:

Tycho Celchu + Push The Limit + Daredevil + Proton Rockets + A-Wing Test Pilot + Experimental Interface;

Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade + Fire Control System; 

Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit;

Edited by stmack