Sign in to follow this  
kinnison

Fly Casual!!

Any new talents for the Gunslinger? Does the tree encourage them to dual wield?

yes, not really

At the bottom of Column 2, there is the "Spitfire" Talent.  after a successful combined attack with two ranged (light) weapons, additional hits can be allocated to other targets within range of the weapon

Also "Gunblazing" is 2nd from bottom in column 3 "as an incidental suffer two strain to avoid increasing difficulty of a combine ranged (light) check"

But also there is a new weapon attachment "Paired" which costs 300 for the pair, 1 HP per weapon, that reduces the Advantage required to hit with the secondary weapon, when 2 weapon fighting by 1

I don't follow with what Spitfire actually does. I thought that you could already divvy up your shots between two targets. Or does it let you keep buying hits after the first two (like autofire) and apply them to different targets?

Gunblazing sounds like a different flavor of Rain of Death. 2 strain as opposed as a maneuver. Interesting.

On the surface, paired sounds like power creep. You're effectively getting +1 Advantage for 300 credits. I'm going off memory here, but I believe the Laser Sight is 500 for +1 Advantage (or is it a boost die?) but has the disadvantage of being a red dot that your enemies can track back to you. What other Attachments give you an Advantage or a boost die? Superior for 5,000 credits? Modifications to other Attachments? Does Paired have any modifications? (Don't mind my nay saying too much. I'm just being a negative Nancy who would make a Gunslinger with Paired guns in a heartbeat.)

does paired work with lightsabers?

As long as both are one handed and have the one hard point available yes.

That Gambler tree is ugly to me. I'm not a fan of trees that make you dive to the bottom and then climb back up. Scoundrel and Slicer were like that, and my players had a distaste for them because of that set-up. Still, the Gambler talents are pretty neat.

I'm still waiting on my copy...

But I have a question:

We've all seen how the Falcon can attach itself to other large objects/ships, which I assume has helped it sneak past blockades and patrols (by alleviating an extra radar lock while attached to a much larger and "legal" transport or capital ship).  So does this smuggler book provide details on this "maneuver?"

The Miami Vice film showed us this real-world tactic with the plane that Tubbs was flying (undercover) for the Colombians...

Anyway, while the new ships, species, and specializations are cool?  I'm honestly more interested in what might be called "the fluff" in this new smuggling book.  (My fear is that we get some sort of simplified version of "smuggling" like that used by a lot of the Star Wars novelists and comic book writers.)

If there are additional smuggling techniques that people feel are really interesting in this book - notes on secret compartments, making contacts, picking up loads, leaving loads, etc. - I'd love to hear about 'em!

Edited by Harlock999

Ink Spray: Once per encounter, spend 2 strain to add 1 black die to the combat check of a character within short range. If under water add 3 black dice to the check.

Does this strike no one else as HILARIOUS?!?  :D

Reminds me of the Invader Zim episode where they captured a police officer and switched his brain with that of a squid and he kept trying to squirt his ink when he was scared.

He finally does squirt the ink, but it's done off screen and you have the faintest idea of where that ink came from and what it consists of...

Until I get my copy, I won't actually know. I know what I wrote, I know where it was originally planned for the book, but like with Stay on Target, I won't know exactly what parts are mine until I have my own copy in hand. Such is the production process :) I can say this was the very first project that I worked on for FFG, and it was hard to contain my geekly enthusiasm.

Now if someone who has the book asks, did you write X? I can confirm stuff. Most likely you'll find my stuff in Chapter 3.

Ooooh, please tell me that you wrote the rules for "Showdowns and Shootouts" as they are my favorite part of the book....I mean it's all good but I really like those.

Well, it could be worse:

You know, I would exclaim about that poor cat being abused like that … but s/he was the one who grabbed the octopus with his/her mouth, and so … I … can’t.

But that poor … that poor …

Aw, crap. That cat totally got what s/he deserved. I just hope that it wasn’t too traumatized, and that the octopus also wasn’t too traumatized.

Until I get my copy, I won't actually know. I know what I wrote, I know where it was originally planned for the book, but like with Stay on Target, I won't know exactly what parts are mine until I have my own copy in hand. Such is the production process :) I can say this was the very first project that I worked on for FFG, and it was hard to contain my geekly enthusiasm. Now if someone who has the book asks, did you write X? I can confirm stuff. Most likely you'll find my stuff in Chapter 3.

Ooooh, please tell me that you wrote the rules for "Showdowns and Shootouts" as they are my favorite part of the book....I mean it's all good but I really like those.

Nope. That wasn't mine, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that in the final cut. :)

Well, it could be worse:

You know, I would exclaim about that poor cat being abused like that … but s/he was the one who grabbed the octopus with his/her mouth, and so … I … can’t.

But that poor … that poor …

Aw, crap. That cat totally got what s/he deserved. I just hope that it wasn’t too traumatized, and that the octopus also wasn’t too traumatized.

Hah. Cats are heinous animals. I watched it over and over again and couldn't stop laughing.

Hintaro

After looking at this dice game again.  I think I figured out a way to introduce it.  Let the players see a round played, but don't tell them the rules.  THey have to figure out the rules and the terms

Want to know how awesome this books is?

Just finished Episode two of "Beyond the rim" They just blasted off Cholganna, escaping an imperial assault on the Survivor camp, and Escaped with Captain Harsol (unconscious), Apoto (one of Yav's crew), Cratala (after taking some SW Valium equivalent), and 11 other survivors.  Gaining over 40 XP each.

Two of my Characters who are combat oriented both bought the Gunslinger specialization.

Well this book isn't out in the UK.

Can't say that I understand choosring Quarreen over Devaronian for instance.

I was halfway expecting this book to introduce Sullustan to EotE and then have Devaronian as well. I like that the Falleen (the second EU species behind Chiss that has been introduced) were put in this book, but both Gotal and Quarren are strange choices...

Well this book isn't out in the UK.

Can't say that I understand choosring Quarreen over Devaronian for instance.

I was halfway expecting this book to introduce Sullustan to EotE and then have Devaronian as well. I like that the Falleen (the second EU species behind Chiss that has been introduced) were put in this book, but both Gotal and Quarren are strange choices...

Ok, Gotal are a strange choice for me, too. But Quarren are cunning Traders, so it wasn´t so unthinkable for me to have them put in a smugglers book. ;-)

I don't think Devaronians particularly fit the Bounty Hunter or Technician books very well, and it isn't like Devaron is in a part of the galaxy that would get a source book. Introducing them in AoR or FaD seems out of place too. 

Just go with the unofficial one I suppose. I like that they're putting more variety into the species now instead of just giving them a 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1 array and a choice between two skills though.

I don't get this, is it out or not? My game store said it was in and ordered it for me along with Hutta last week (It should be in later this week) but I checked the online store and it said NOPE, OK. Then FFG releases a statement saying it was at the FFG Game Center (goody!) I go to the online store, NOPE. Grrrrrrrrr I guess I'll find out this week sometime but I just wish I knew.

UPDATE Now it says its in. (face palm)

Edited by cyberknightsteve

Okay, follow-up question.

Of the new ships/freighters, which of these are eligible as a group's starting vessel, i.e. have a cost of 120,000 credits or less?

I'm hoping the answer is a significant number, as the more options beyond "YT-1300" the better.

I noticed this hadn't been answered yet, so.... poke?  :lol:

Okay, follow-up question.

Of the new ships/freighters, which of these are eligible as a group's starting vessel, i.e. have a cost of 120,000 credits or less?

I'm hoping the answer is a significant number, as the more options beyond "YT-1300" the better.