Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

Lone Wolf and 3p0, how do they work together?

So I hit him with 3 hits.   He has taken the MF tile and a evade action.  He guesses 0 with 3po.   He rolls a blank and gets one evade.   Then with lone wolf he re-rolls the blank and gets another evade.     For a total of 3 evades?   is that correct?

Thanks,

So I hit him with 3 hits.   He has taken the MF tile and a evade action.  He guesses 0 with 3po.   He rolls a blank and gets one evade.   Then with lone wolf he re-rolls the blank and gets another evade.     For a total of 3 evades?   is that correct?

Thanks,

Yup

Edit: just remember that he can't reroll a focus

Edited by barabelsftw

Huh, I never thought of running Lone Wolf on the Falcon. Time to make Super-Chewie!

Add lando and EI to frustrate your opponent even more:

Chewie with 3po, lando, lone wolf, title, and EI (54)

Corran Horn with VI, FCS, R2D2, and EU (46)

It works with a focus token too technically...if you can get a Focus Token in some way either with a second action or by getting it passed to you then you can guess 0 and roll one eye which gets it right with C3PO then spend the focus to change the eye to an evade.

And of course you could always guess 1...That gives you an extra evade if you roll it..lol.. :)

Now here is a question with this combo. Can you choose to use 3po on the second roll from lone wolf if you didn't use him on the first roll? I know 3po's card states "before you roll one or more defense dice" but lone wolf is a whole new roll all together. So say you forgot to use 3po the 1st time and rolled a blank,activate lone wolf and before rerolling you guess 0. Is this legal?

Not to bring up another ****-storm from an already very much despised (deservedly so) upgrade card, but I do have to wonder what miraculous substances the devs were enjoying to create a ship that could almost automatically cancel 3 damage a turn.

Hopefully this does not catch on in my local scene.

It's not quite as good as it sounds.

You're missing out on things like VI or PTL, and spending a lot of points just to be a bit more tanky. Plus that the reroll is hardly what you could call a guarantee, odds are still against you rolling an evade.

Edited by VanorDM

Now here is a question with this combo. Can you choose to use 3po on the second roll from lone wolf if you didn't use him on the first roll? I know 3po's card states "before you roll one or more defense dice" but lone wolf is a whole new roll all together. So say you forgot to use 3po the 1st time and rolled a blank,activate lone wolf and before rerolling you guess 0. Is this legal?

Lone wolf is not a whole new roll, it's a dice modification. 

It's clearly established in the rules that a reroll is a kind of dice modification, not a new roll. (See the FAQ entry for the Heavy Laser Cannon, for example.)

Not to bring up another ****-storm from an already very much despised (deservedly so) upgrade card, but I do have to wonder what miraculous substances the devs were enjoying to create a ship that could almost automatically cancel 3 damage a turn.

It's an interaction effect, not a deliberate creation. Look at the components separately: Lone Wolf is actually fairly restrictive in the early and middle game, and it's not broken in any other application. The Millennium Falcon title is inexpensive and powerful, but it's action-dependent and can only be taken on a ship that's fairly vulnerable to damage without it. Threepio is the most powerful element when taken alone, mostly because he doesn't require an action, but provides an extra evade only 5/8 of the time, and can only be used once per turn.

Also recall that Lone Wolf was probably in the pipeline long before it became clear what the Wave 4 metagame would look like.

...and although I was going to leave it alone, it's not 3 damage per turn. It's not even close to 3 damage per turn: you have +1 for the evade token, +5/8 for Threepio, and +15/64 for Lone Wolf. That adds up to the normal results of your 1 green die plus an additional 1.86 per turn, with a maximum of 3.

When I've come up against this combo I just make sure to focus fire on the Falcon, since C-3PO only works once per round (not per attack as I've seen many people try to use him). 

When I've used this combo myself  I don't like using 3PO's 'guess' on my Lando action roll...I feel my odds are better to wait and use 3PO after I've seen the initial roll and then let him do his thing.  I'd be interested to hear what the number crunchers' take on that approach is.

...I don't like using 3PO's 'guess' on my Lando action roll...I feel my odds are better to wait and use 3PO after I've seen the initial roll and then let him do his thing.  I'd be interested to hear what the number crunchers' take on that approach is.

Using Threepio's effect when you roll dice for Lando has a 47% chance (guessing 1, the most likely result) of generating an extra evade token. That token can be used against any attack that turn.

But using Threepio's effect when you roll 1 defense die has a 63% chance of working (guessing 0, the most likely result). Technically there's an information advantage to the evade token, but it's trivial: since you're guessing 0 with Threepio it's effectively impossible to waste his effect.

TL;DR: Aboard the Falcon, Threepio is less effective on Lando than on a defense roll.

Huh, I never thought of running Lone Wolf on the Falcon. Time to make Super-Chewie!

Add lando and EI to frustrate your opponent even more:

Chewie with 3po, lando, lone wolf, title, and EI (54)

Corran Horn with VI, FCS, R2D2, and EU (46)

Hey quit stealing my build.  I won a Store Championship a few week ago with that exact build.  Two end game nightmares that your opponent has to deal with.  There are no good choices to kill.  Most people go after Corran first, and then realize that Chewy may be harder to kill.

I wouldn't call it "automatically cancel 3 damage a turn". If you roll 1 dice and announce 0 evades with 3PO, there's a 62.5% chance for that. However, there's only a 37.5% chance that you may reroll with Lone Wolf (only blanks can be rerolled). The chance that you get an evade with this reroll is then naturally also at 37.5%, meaning that you overall have a 14% chance of getting 3 evades (MF title; 3PO; successful reroll with LW)

We were discussing it tonight. Use 3PO's guess with the Lando roll and you could end up with a few evade tokens and a/some focus ones. Plus Lone Wolf for later on.

Yeah it is by far my favorite combo.  The safest thing is to guess zero, and you still get the evade token.  Then if you happen to roll an evade on your attacks you'll have 2 (or more possibly).   But you also have the chance of getting a focus or two. 

My personal favorite though is to guess 1 with Lando.   You have a pretty reasonable chance of getting it, and if you get it right you are likely to get 2 evades and a focus.  Combine that with EI and MF title and you start the round with 3 evades, a focus, plus your natural roll for each incomming attack.  

We were discussing it tonight. Use 3PO's guess with the Lando roll and you could end up with a few evade tokens and a/some focus ones. Plus Lone Wolf for later on.

Yeah it is by far my favorite combo.  The safest thing is to guess zero, and you still get the evade token.  Then if you happen to roll an evade on your attacks you'll have 2 (or more possibly).   But you also have the chance of getting a focus or two. 

My personal favorite though is to guess 1 with Lando.   You have a pretty reasonable chance of getting it, and if you get it right you are likely to get 2 evades and a focus.  Combine that with EI and MF title and you start the round with 3 evades, a focus, plus your natural roll for each incomming attack.  

Odds breakdown:

0 Evades: 25/64

1 Evade  : 30/64

2 Evade  :   9/64

Guessing 1 will net you an Evade Token 5/64 of the time more than guessing 0, however guaranteeing at least 1 Evade Token is very nice.