Sign in to follow this  
whafrog

WEG to the landfill...

If I never see another bad line-drawing of a Wookiee in a cantina throwing a stormtrooper, it'll be too soon

To be fair, production values have significantly changed since the 70's and 80's. If you want really terrible, go back to the original D&D for some awful artwork. It's like comparing - oh say, original series 60's Doctor Who to Modern Aughts Doctor Who.

I know...after all I still have the original Chivalry and Sorcery books, and some of that art was terrible.  It wasn't really the art I was commenting on, it was more about the recurring and repetitive themes.

I enjoyed alot of the WEG line of products  up to about Galaxy Guide 12, when the books started to be Sourcebooks for each Novel or comic that came out that year is when the quality largely declined.  The early adventures prior to the Second Edition rules were also dubious at best though some of the adventure themes weren't horrible.

The lack of Imperial Army Troopers in any of the canon media doesn't necessarily make them nonexistent, I never see Han use the refresher either, but I'm reasonably fine with the notion it exists and he had to use it from time to time without seeing it.

If I never see another bad line-drawing of a Wookiee in a cantina throwing a stormtrooper, it'll be too soon

To be fair, production values have significantly changed since the 70's and 80's. If you want really terrible, go back to the original D&D for some awful artwork. It's like comparing - oh say, original series 60's Doctor Who to Modern Aughts Doctor Who.

Hey, I like line art illustrations!  Nice, simple, and usually easy to understand.

Then again, I am a fan of classic Doctor Who as well.

Mmm, good point - I should clarify that I wasnt ragging on Old School Who - I've loved the show since 1983. I was just making the point that the older media (be it movies or art in RPGs or whathave you) is going to look less slick than what we have today.

And apparently W.F. was thinking about a different aspect all together - so I'm irrelevant! :)

Chris Trevas got his start as a WEG artist, if I'm not mistaken, and he's become one of the go-to guys for Del Rey's Essential Guides. And Mike Vilardi's stuff was always top-notch. But, yes, much of the art in WEG's books leaves something to be desired. This is especially true in their early adventure modules.

As for the books themselves, folks here have nailed it. These were the first books to do a deep dive into the background of the three OT films. These were the first books to name the species, identify the creatures, put names to background characters, and describe galactic history and politics. There was so much world building the WEG writers did that still impacts the Star Wars universe today. I, too, am glad these books have evaded the landfill.

And, R2Builder, how did my bookshelf end up in your house?!