Sign in to follow this  
bmwrider

Is this a new 3rd party piece for the game?

It looks like they have wrecked Corvettes too!

http://r.ebay.com/XCwWWF

I can't wait to see some reviews of this stuff.

I saw that too! Definitely want it, but I just can't quite justify that much for scenery, when I could buy a new Corvette for $10 more at most, then sell the upgrades to make another $20 back

I'm not was sure about the corvette wreckage.  I'm not fond of the melted look.  For a miniature that large I rather see holes or spaces that look more like empty corridors and a melted end.  It doesn't look so bad on the front but where it is split I'd like to see fiddly bits and stuff.

But I'd love to see some reviews.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

They might have chopped up an original (some of the damage looks like it was done with a soldering iron?) and then molded and cast the damaged bits and painted with an airbrush. The site says hand made and painted that's probably the way id go about making it.

Well mine came in.  Except for the base and rods, which are nearly worthless, the model is fantastic.

I definitely intend to use it.

Who do you guys think of the CR-90 wreck?

I don't think I have a storage option for it.

I agree; the base and rods are subpar. One of my rods was missing entirely, though I may have just lost it in the car when I opened it.

Instead of the included rods, I superglued an FFG peg into it so now it's more stable. Works great. Trying to figure out some new rules for it. Leaning towards either a damge and a die roll or a 3-dice roll. Not sure yet.

Guest Andy1909

It's a custom piece, I believe. It's probably molded from the actual Transport and then roughed up.

Just to add a comment here. If this is what the guy has done it's illegal and not in a game sense. As in you're not allowed to ignore someones copyright, make a casting from the model and then rough it up a bit. It would have to be made from an actual model or have FFG's and possibly lucasfilms permission. And based on the ebay info and pricing I'd be surprised if they are out of the box models.

I'm sure if FFG has a problem with it they'll do something about it, but they tend to be fairly chill about things unless someone's actually competing with them. Nobody's going to not buy a CR90 they otherwise would have in favour of this.

Edited by TIE Pilot

I remember reading about this long ago. The debris was made by casting an original with putty to get an impression mold, then using that mold to make a solid poured piece out of it. Then it was all artwork after that.

Lol if you go into a time warp ; everything that was Star Wars related was taboo...Worse than a Gestapo , KGB , CIA , OSI or Spanish Inquisition investigation...I ordered the Asteroids months ago and patiently awaiting for them to arrive on the snail mail tram lol...Will add that he has alot of other projects in the works ; that tantalize my curiosity...

Guest Andy1909

On the first post I used the word copyright. But there is a chance it's trademark or merchandising law.

I'm sure if FFG has a problem with it they'll do something about it, but they tend to be fairly chill about things unless someone's actually competing with them. Nobody's going to not buy a CR90 they otherwise would have in favour of this.

The last comment about nobody buying a cr90 instead of this is irrelevant. It's that initial copying of the object where the foul lies. It's not theirs to copy. If you look at it in a certain way, If a mould has been made then he is, whilst technically not competing, having an effect. Without a mould it's a choice between buying an individual ship to make each conversion. Or, as FFG have to do, get Lucasfilms permission to  design and make one, and then splash out the cash on the design and manufacture of it. And not forgetting royalty payments.

I am also surprised about the 3D printed ships that appear on the site at times. Some of those ships are straight from the movies and it makes you wonder if people are aware that this is a no no. 3D printing doesn't give you the rights, it just gives you the ability.

It's a custom piece, I believe. It's probably molded from the actual Transport and then roughed up.

Just to add a comment here. If this is what the guy has done it's illegal and not in a game sense. As in you're not allowed to ignore someones copyright, make a casting from the model and then rough it up a bit. It would have to be made from an actual model or have FFG's and possibly lucasfilms permission. And based on the ebay info and pricing I'd be surprised if they are out of the box models.

Someone should look up transformative and derivative works.

Iiiiiit's Monday! Once I've finished classes today, I'll throw some pics up here on my shiny new space mat! I know there's a lot of concern about the legality of how these things are made, and I wanna go on record saying I'm almost certain these are cast directly from FFG's models. They're so dang similar. If you look rea`lly close, you'll notice that all the tiny details aren't quite as detailed as the original: good hint that it's been formed from a mold.

Here you are! FEAST YOUR EYES UPON MY PICTURES!

And then let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to see.
As mentioned previously, the stands these came with were garbage. I've replaced them with FFG ones, and they work great.

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4150.jpgIMG_4154_1.jpgIMG_4152.jpgIMG_4155_1.jpg

Edited by UnfairBanana