Sign in to follow this  
sgtkneecaps

sleeve protectors - yes or no

Disclaimer: I'm a little biased, since I tend to sleeve everything :D

But yes, if you're planning to play this a lot, then sleeving should not be an option, but something you have to invest in. Then... it depends on many factors. FFG sleeves are the only sleeves making shuffling not so problematic (they suit the cards like a second skin); other sleeves could make shuffling more problematic. Sleeves help protecting cards from grease if you / your friends tend to eat snacks while playing. Some decks are constantly shuffled throughout the game (location encounters, if you play by the rules and shuffle every time you have to draw a card - we personally refuse to do so, and we drw crds sequentially), so cards tend to worn out at a quicker pace, and so on.

As a general rule of thumb, you can sleeve a game and then as soon as you lose interest in it (could happen, even if I wish you Arkham won't ever fade away from your fave list), you can recycle the sleeves on another game

"Sleeving is the responsibility of every gamer!"

Winston Churchill

I don't know if he actually said that, as there were so few games in 1945, but I can tell you that if he were alive today, ol' Winston would definitely want to protect his investment.  While not inexpensive, they'll keep your cards looking great for decades of play.

Cheers,

Joe        

"Sleeving is the responsibility of every gamer!"

Winston Churchill

Well if Winston Churchill said so... :P

Okay cool. I'll invest asap. I just found a local gaming store that carries all the Arkham-ness and their sleeves, so I'll defs buy them there. Eventually ! Thanks!

YEY! I finally invested in some sleeve protectors from the base game :D

I need two greens and 6 yellows, to cover the base game and expansions. The store I go to doesn't carry yellows :c

Edited by sgtkneecaps

I have sleeved everything in Arkham Horror - all the cards with FFG sleeves, all the GOOS, heralds, guardians, institutions and Investigator sheets with postcard sleeves and all the monster tokens with coin sleeves and all the gate tokens with coin capsules.  

I have sleeved everything in Arkham Horror - all the cards with FFG sleeves, all the GOOS, heralds, guardians, institutions and Investigator sheets with postcard sleeves and all the monster tokens with coin sleeves and all the gate tokens with coin capsules.  

I stand in awe. And feel a bit guilty not having sleeved a thing. Wait! You didn't just skin all your thousand young to make card sleeves did you?

I stand in awe. And feel a bit guilty not having sleeved a thing. Wait! You didn't just skin all your thousand young to make card sleeves did you?

You're giving me ideas :P

The hide of one Formless Spawn should give you enough card protectors for the entire game including all expansions. (Just wipe off the slime and other bodily fluids first.)

Now all your cards have Physical Immunity! :)

Edited by jlhorner1974

The hide of one Formless Spawn should give you enough card protectors for the entire game including all expansions. (Just wipe off the slime and other bodily fluids first.)

Now all your cards have Physical Immunity! :)

And drain your Sanity...

Edited by Julia

Just out of curiosity...

How much extra storage space does a fully sleeved Arkham require compared to the standard non-sleeved? I'm asking because, until today, I had never sleeved anything before. But after sleeving my copy of Gears of War I began to wonder how much extra space would be needed if I were to sleeve Arkham. Compared to Arkham, GoW has a relatively modest amount of cards, but I instantly noticed the extra space that was required to pack them away in the box. Instead of one big stack in the bottom of the box, I now have one even bigger stack and two smaller stacks! I shudder to think what the core set of Arkham, let alone all expansions, would look like!  :o

BTW I did use FFG sleeves. ;)     

FFG sleeves rules (imho, at least). Can't talk about the exact linear dimensions, but my sleeved "big cards" occupy 24 ultra-pro deck box, and all the sleeved minicards are withing the big boxes in their original inserts. In any case, sleeving such a huge game is almost a must, not only for avoid shuffling decay, but also for real protection. Like Jason would say, wear thick gloves and handle with care