Sign in to follow this  
seanpp

Questions regarding Scrier's Gaze

There's a good chance that the Divination psyker power Scrier's Gaze is going to come into play in the campaign I run.  So it was time for a close reread of it with an eye towards the hard practicalities of implementing it.  I came away with a lot of questions.  I'll pose the questions I have for the various DoS results on Table 6-4 (p205).

1. One DoS:  How far can one cast this power?  Say the psyker is one Hive on a planet and the psyker wants to get a peek at a heretic in another hive on the other side of the planet.  They successfully invoke Scrier's Gaze with 1 DoS - is that too far?  There's nothing in the basic power description or 1-DoS result that gives an idea.  If you say the GM should make the range something "reasonable" - what would be reasonable?  The next room over?  The next hab block over? The next neighborhood over?
  2. One DoS:  To what extent does the psyker have to know where to look?  Say 1DoS is achieved trying view a particular heretic - does the psyker have to know what room the heretic's currently in to view him?  Or is it enough to know which Manse on the block the heretic is in?  Or is it enough just to know what neighborhood the heretic is in?
  3. Two DoS:  With this result, the psyker is "able to see all activity within an entire battle field or hive level."  I read this & immediately thought how the DH 1e Core told us that the diameter of a Hive Sibellus hive level was 8,000 kilometers!  (A flight from San Francisco to New York is only about 4,100 kilometers.)  Understood that the psyker cannot discern details on individuals, but was "see all activity" of an area with a diameter twice the width of the United States the intention?
  4. Three DoS:  This result is where it really hits the fan.  So the psyker is now able to "discern details as to individual activities and exact enemy numbers" over the previously discussed area with a diameter twice the width of the U.S.?  So if the psyker was looking for a single heretic somewhere in the United States and achieved 3 DoS with this power, would he then know exactly where that heretic was?  Or does the psyker have to have previously known pretty much exactly where that heretic was in the U.S., and now with 3 DoS can see what that heretic is doing in New York, even though the psyker is in San Francisco?  It's worth noting that this power cannot be Sustained, so the psyker apparently gets essentially a snapshot - what exactly are they able to discern about, say, ten individual's activities in ten different locations over an area with an 8,000 kilometer diameter?  What about 50 individual's activities spread out over 8,000 kilometers?  What's the limit, if any?
  5. Four DoS:  The phrase, "...knows details of the plots any enemy leaders are planning" is a sticky wicket, because it sounds like mind reading.  So the psyker is on a general heretic hunt in the United States (which is only 1/2 the diameter of Hive Sibellus mind you), gets 4 DoS and now "knows details of the plots any enemy leaders are planning."  (Emphasis mine.)  This makes it sounds like the psyker didn't have to know about the existence of the enemy leaders beforehand.  Does the psyker need to have known about the existence of the enemy leaders before invoking this power or would this power identify all the existing heretics in the country and reveal details of their various plots?

I'm guessing that this power costing 200xp was not intended to grant omniscience, even if momentary, over 8,000 kilometers...but I find this power's wording very problematic.  I feel like I almost have to rewrite this power's abilities.

Thoughts?

Change it so that while the Psyker is able to see it all, she/he still have to "move" their gaze, and you can then determine how fast that should be.

An easy method could be to use the player's WP bonus instead of their AGI Bonus, with the existing movement chart.

Appreciate the response Keffisch.

You know, after more pondering and some brainstorming on the G+ 40k Community, as well...I think I realize the answer was right in front of me.  Right in front of me, as in the sidebar on page 205 entitled "GM Guidance: Divination".  It was the determinative language used in the description of Scrier's Gaze that threw me off - but I think the key is just to focus on the Divination guidance in the sidebar, which I will quote at length from, only because it offers the answer to my question:

"It is helpful to first determine what the player is trying to accomplish through using the power.  Depending on this it may not be necessary for the GM to describe the character's visions in detail."  It goes on to make the very good point that "...the Warp and fate are fickle and mutable things.  The GM can and should be vague in his descriptions of revealed visions; faces, environments, and other details can be hazy and indistinct.  Bearing this in mind, the GM canprovide enough information to assist the player, without giving away any plot-breaking details.  The GM should also remember that the psyker does not necessarily see visions pertaining to his goal.  However, GMs should take care to ensure that a player gains something through successful use of Divination powers.  Any use of psychic ability includes an element of risk, though; visions are often devoid of context, which poses the danger of acting on incomplete information."

And, for the most part, there you have it.