Sign in to follow this  
SwWhiskeyTears87

Lets hope this isnt long.

Maybe it's time to discuss making these products in America :)

That would make things more convenient for American players (although also possibly more expensive). But since FFG also ships X-wing worldwide, it doesn't actually remove the reliance on shipping...

We'd still have to get the tooling and die making done in China... we really don't have people Stateside that do that anymore, which is another big reason why boardgame stuff with a lot of components tends to get made in China.

Just curious, does the stuff get shipped from China to the states and then get sent worldwide or get shipped worldwide straight from China? Anyone have any idea?

I'd have to assume the latter, as otherwise would result in redundant shipping costs.

You could assume that but unless the rest of the world has its stock and its embargoed by FFG till the US gets theirs it seems obvious that they do in fact ship it to the US then redistribute it from there.

FFG is still a fairly small company by many accounts and they likely do not have a separate distribution center in China, hence why it is most likely sent to the US and then redistributed.

One can only hope that the acquisition by Asmode and their considerable distribution network can ensure this never happens again

Just curious, does the stuff get shipped from China to the states and then get sent worldwide or get shipped worldwide straight from China? Anyone have any idea?

I'd have to assume the latter, as otherwise would result in redundant shipping costs.

You could assume that but unless the rest of the world has its stock and its embargoed by FFG till the US gets theirs it seems obvious that they do in fact ship it to the US then redistribute it from there.

FFG is still a fairly small company by many accounts and they likely do not have a separate distribution center in China, hence why it is most likely sent to the US and then redistributed.

One can only hope that the acquisition by Asmode and their considerable distribution network can ensure this never happens again

Didn't some Australian Stores accidentally sell some of their most wanted?  That may be an indication of the embargo.

To echo Mace... I've found many time in business the common sense approach is not always the logistical one.

Plaid Hat Games is smaller still and they ship directly from the factory to us here in Europe. 

And there is an embargo on selling stuff before the go ahead, otherwise tournaments could get disturbed by people getting their stuff from another country which is, for me for instance, a 4 hours drive to put me in three different countries. 

Shipping everything to the States and then redistributing them all over the world would be prohibitively expensive.

well it's time to open the east coast ports and get these ships unloaded. The Maritime Association and the Union should be embarrassed.

So all the ships going to the west coast ports have to get to the east coast how exactly? The Panama Canal? Cheaper to just have them wait.

You can pretty much bank on these strikes happening, which is why the company I work for started transitioning from the western ports a year ago.

It isn't a strike, it's a lockout. Strikes are when Labor stops working, lockouts are when management shuts things down.

Either way, looks like things are getting nastier. :(

Maybe it's time to discuss making these products in America :)

That would make things more convenient for American players (although also possibly more expensive). But since FFG also ships X-wing worldwide, it doesn't actually remove the reliance on shipping...

We'd still have to get the tooling and die making done in China... we really don't have people Stateside that do that anymore, which is another big reason why boardgame stuff with a lot of components tends to get made in China.

My uncle runs a tool-and-die shop in central Indiana. I'm sure he'd gladly work with FFG on getting stuff made domestically...

Frankly, I'm of the thought that the delay may be longer than anyone expects and that the random release of the playmats was intended to placate the masses. Toss the X-Wingers a bone since there won't be a new release or likely any news for awhile.