Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sydonis

Career Training in Character Creation

Very interesting. Skills as features is something I considered early on. And your critical table is also something I've discussed in expanding the Destroy the Brain feature/ability. It adds more narrative to the dice. Nice consolidation though.

Guest Sydonis

Is this something you created?

Yes, It's something I've put together over the last several days. Play tested as well, and definitely not overpowered. While it does let players specialize their characters a bit and gain some added bonuses based on their training, it definitely doesn't reduce the game's threat; benefits only trigger as often as they use the actions AND roll doubles.

Very interesting. Skills as features is something I considered early on. And your critical table is also something I've discussed in expanding the Destroy the Brain feature/ability. It adds more narrative to the dice. Nice consolidation though.

Thanks, I thought it was an interesting idea too. I like the game a lot but was slightly irked about the lack of a skill system. Guess I'm just used to skills in rpg's.

I thought the Destroy the brain feature was good, but they didn't expand on the mechanic enough. I incorporated that mechanic with the "2 extra stress"; a trained athletics (thrown attack) coordination (ranged attack) or tactics (melee attack) test will deal 3 stress to a zombie, filling one tier of stress and generally killing the zombie outright (unless you're fighting a particularly strong zombie with multiple tiers). Also applicable to Speech if your GM uses intimidation to apply social or mental stress.

Should be noted that Career Skills aren't features; Career Training by itself just introduces the Critical Success mechanic with specific actions associated with the skill. As well, the +Career Training feature can be taken to gain a positive die with all trained skills to further improve your tests in these areas.

Edited by Sydonis

I realize that you are not making them features. Early on I was discussing things like a feature such as Military Training which could be taken under multiple characteristics. It could also be broken down if one so chooses too, but I like a more general approach so that skills are more ubiquitous.

The "critical" factor I intend to use just in general as I like the aspects of Star Wars dice and their advantages.

Guest Sydonis

I realize that you are not making them features. Early on I was discussing things like a feature such as Military Training which could be taken under multiple characteristics. It could also be broken down if one so chooses too, but I like a more general approach so that skills are more ubiquitous.

The "critical" factor I intend to use just in general as I like the aspects of Star Wars dice and their advantages.

Agreed, I like skills that cover multiple actions. This game is also very general and simple, hence only 10 versatile skills versus the 20+ Specific skills in Star Wars and DND (except 4e).

This I think would be really handy in situations where as a GM you don't know the players personally and/or in situations where players decide to create and play fictional characters. Good job.