Sign in to follow this  
JediKnightAmoeba

Painting Option for miniatures

Hey everyone, I know a lot of people would love to have painted miniatures rather than the dull gray plastic figures.  But there are a lot of figures, most people do not have the time, a lot of people do not have the skill and some just do not care too much.

I do have an option that can make them look better than they do. 

• First off a lot of the miniatures are warped; so boil some water and dunk each figure for a little bit of time and then dunk it in cold water to harden it back up.  Keep doing this and lightly adjust it until it is in its originally intended form.
  • After you have done this you can glue a penny, nickel or whatever size washer or coin that fits to the bottom of the base to make it less top heavy, more balanced and a little heavier.
  • The next step is to spray paint the mini with a boltgun metal primer.  I have the old GW stuff but that is out of production so you could use this. Make sure you spray it lightly and evenly and allow it to dry thoroughly.  I like to then give mine a second light coat to make sure it is coated well.
  • I then take an black ink wash and water it down.  Take a large brush and generously coat the minis and allow it to dry for hours.  The object is to get the ink wash to sit in the recesses of the minis and dry which gives the appearance of tarnished pewter.  It actually looks really nice and they look like real game pieces.  

This is something that does not require much skill and can be done in a very short period of time.  Enjoy.  

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

Now this sounds very interesting. I for one can't paint to save my life! But I can definetly do all the steps you've mentioned :) Have you any photos of the figures once you have finised? I am eager to see your end results.

As it happens I've had some of my figures painted and am in the process of getting some more of my figures painted. Fingers crossed they don't take the guy as long as another guy I know who still as my advanced heroquest figures after 12months!!!!

But please upload some pictures of your figures mate, I would very much like to see :)

Yeah, I figured you guys would ask for pics....give me a few days and I will get them to you.  Mine are not currently painted but I made a LOTR chess set for my parents with GW minis and a crystal board formed into a castle and this is the technique I used.  The only reason I had to do this is some of the parts were plastic so I had to come up with a way to make everything look uniform.