Sign in to follow this  
cps

Boy, howdy! A new DH2 supplement!

I'm reluctant to approve of additional unique mechanics for certain classes, because, IMHO, either all classes should have their unique mechanics or none. For example, the pain tokens for the Dark Eldar really rubs me the wrong way.

I guess I don't mind additional FP uses, since it's not an additional resource to manage, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I get my sweaty meathooks on the book.

I thought the book was great.  I like how they have Sister of Battle as an elite advance with Sororitas as a background.  I don't mind the new "advanced" progression via using Elite Advances.  I was really looking forward to the Sister talents, as I was a big fan of Blood of Martyrs and all the faith talents in there and the Reinforcement Sister and her talents. in the core book. The Profane Relics was a nice addition and I have already taken stuff from there for my campaign.

If they keep the same format for Malleus and Xenos, I will be very pleased.

~ alemander

Did you pick cursive comic sans for your font on purpose?

Yep, on purpose.  The option is there, so I use it.

~ alemander

I'm reluctant to approve of additional unique mechanics for certain classes, because, IMHO, either all classes should have their unique mechanics or none.

What about psykers?

I mean, I get where you're coming from - but if certain abilities are tightly connected to a specific species' or classes' background and play an important part in how such a character would be perceived, should the system not try to support a suitable mechanical representation to add to the narrative?

The important thing, to me, is to know where to draw the line, and to at least try and use existing systems wherever it makes sense. The Pain Tokens, for example, are certainly somewhat iffy in that they are a very unique mechanic, but on the other hand the description really makes it sound as if it would incentivise the player to portray their character in a way that is very fitting for a Dark Eldar.

@Lynata: I suppose I have to give psykers a pass because they're so important to the setting. I don't want to say that ALL unique mechanics are badfun, but I think they can lead to bloat in a rules system.

See D&D3.5 for an excessive skills list and an overabundance of unique mechanics.

Kudos for DH2 cutting down the skills list, I hope that they maintain the more elegant system as additional material is released.

I thought the book was great.  I like how they have Sister of Battle as an elite advance with Sororitas as a background.  I don't mind the new "advanced" progression via using Elite Advances.  I was really looking forward to the Sister talents, as I was a big fan of Blood of Martyrs and all the faith talents in there and the Reinforcement Sister and her talents. in the core book. The Profane Relics was a nice addition and I have already taken stuff from there for my campaign.

If they keep the same format for Malleus and Xenos, I will be very pleased.

~ alemander

Did you pick cursive comic sans for your font on purpose?

Yep, on purpose.  The option is there, so I use it.

~ alemander

Huh. I'm looking at it on my laptop and it's legible, but on my phone it was barely readable cursive. Weird.

I don't want to say that ALL unique mechanics are badfun, but I think they can lead to bloat in a rules system.

Yeah, good point - I think my perception in this particular case is just a little different as the system is pretty bloated already (not quite Shadowrun levels, but still), so I'm pretty much "meh, won't change much to add this either". In general, I agree with you though.