Sign in to follow this  
cps

Boy, howdy! A new DH2 supplement!

Argh, I was kind of wishing for a role that would take advantage of the social combat and/or Subtlety mechanics or the new Investigation mechanics. 

I am somewhat divided about that for we pretty much have investigation focused character roles that would somewhat feel left out if there is another class especially tailored to suit that new mechanic (And would also limit that class to groups that actually use this mechanic). This makes it also easier for already established groups with existing characters that do focus investigation to integrate these rules without the feeling that they are only doing suboptimal for there is a better class than the one that had been picked for exactly that job.

Edited by FieserMoep

I have to say I'm intrigued to see the taster on character archetypes. I do find DH2's character creation much more flexible, so adding a few new archetypes. Mutant is a nice one, and Adepta Sororitas is inevitable - albeit I'll be interested to see if they manage to make it less 'magic space paladin' this time.

The one rule they've mentioned - never gain corruption but gain insanity when faced with corruption instead - is a nice touch and very in keeping.

I'm wondering what the Mutant Background will bring that a grubby Desperado Character wouldn't already obtain. I think it's safe to assume that the Mutant is a flexible pick for background? Can do a bit of talking to certain peoples, scuffy techno-rigging and dirty fighting? I'm curious. 

I'm also wondering how Penitent and and Fanatic could be a Role. Those are surely more of a background than an active role that determines your... role within the team? The Warrior fights, the Assassin assassinates, Seeker uncovers information and the Penitent...whips himself and cries?

Edited by cyclocius

We'll see soon enough.  But I like the idea of them as Roles.  I think Roles help a bit if you think of them less as "what you do for the Inquisitor" and more a raison d'etre for the character to be in the warband.  In this respect, the Fanatic is there BECAUSE of the fanaticism - a very 40k-esque thing, really.  I see like a Feudal - Guardsman - Fanatic being a fun one, for instance.  Or maye a Highborn - Savant - Penitent to represent someone who came close to heresy, or crossed the line, but genuinely trying to make up for it.

I am note sure also as to what they could do as roles. Even if I'm happy of getting new roles for my players, I think that a desperado can be a fanatic or a penitent...it's a false choice now. In my opinion, it should rather have been backgrounds OR elite advances. 

Anyways, I can't wait to get that supplement and see what it contains.

Again, that's a bit of a misnomer in how you view Roles.  From page 28, Stage 3:

Each character views the world around him and his place in it in a certain manner, which is reflected in his role.  This broadly defines how he faces dangers, interacts with others, and seeks to resolve problem.  His role also dictates what ares of expertise he excels at, and how he grows and learns with experience.

So again, don't look at role as 'what you do' so much as 'why you do' and your approach to doing it.  When viewed through this lens, Fanatic and Penitent make pefect sense.

Honestly we do not treat homeworlds as homeworlds and roles as roles.

We treat them like bundles to create a character. A character that is completely dependent on the background WE give him. So these worlds and roles only have to suit them in a mechanical way.

This is 100% true and a flaw of the character generation system as it was implemented.

Honestly we do not treat homeworlds as homeworlds and roles as roles.

We treat them like bundles to create a character. A character that is completely dependent on the background WE give him. So these worlds and roles only have to suit them in a mechanical way.

I'm not sure that I follow what you mean.  Could you clarify or give an example, please?

For example the Shrine World Background might be used for a Schola Progenia Graduate from a Hive World where the Forge World might be a Mechanicus Temple on an Imperial World, a Feral World Background might be used for a Hive Scum and Voidborn for a Shaman of a Feral World etc.

As for Backgrounds it works the very same. The Arbites might be used for a heavy Ganger, the Administratum for a quite educated Noble and so on. I think I made it clear.^^

As for roles and some background choices they are pretty much straight forward but even there an Assassin-Role does not require to translate into an Assassin-Character.

Yeah, everywhere in the book it says that 'role' is your approach to doing things, not your literal roal.

The rest are just as easily malleable.

Edited by Dulahan

Definitely hoping this thing comes out in the next 4-5 weeks. I'm about to get a game going with my group in that time and it'd be really nice to not have to worry about a new book with fun new character generation options to release just after we start play.

Definitely hoping this thing comes out in the next 4-5 weeks. I'm about to get a game going with my group in that time and it'd be really nice to not have to worry about a new book with fun new character generation options to release just after we start play.

Just pointing at my post.   It is out at some Online Stores, gods of shipping willing, I should have it in hands before this time next week.  So check out FRP games or your favorite online retailer!

PDFs are usually out a week or two after the physical book. Apparently they think the PDF being available will negatively impact hardback sales.

Gotta love how different companies are where PDFs are concerned.  I wonder if there's actual market research in the industry yet?

Though I do prefer Hardcopies... if there's a bundle that isn't much more than the HC on it's own, I'll get that every time.  So places like Cubicle 7 are my favorite in how they handle it.

How peculiar. What UK outlets normally stock stuff like this? I've picked up all of my Prior RPG purchases as spur of the moment pick-ups in Waterstones, but they don't have Enemies Within just yet. Or any mention of it at all.

How peculiar. What UK outlets normally stock stuff like this? I've picked up all of my Prior RPG purchases as spur of the moment pick-ups in Waterstones, but they don't have Enemies Within just yet. Or any mention of it at all.

Try Travelling Man if there's one in your area. They tend to get the 40k stuff in pretty sharpish after/on release day, albeit later than Star Wars (which pretty much arrives for release day) though, but I guess that's the fate of being a less popular system. They had Dark Heresy's Second Edition on release, but it took a few weeks for GM Kit's and Forgotten Gods.

Edited by Arbitrator

Its also not even on Amazon.co.uk