Sign in to follow this  
Leveton

Fly Solo

This is far from a slam dunk for the Imps.  The rush forward strategy may not work as well (though Imps start exhausted, just as Han does).  But it really doesn't make sense to rush forward anyway, as you know you have to bring Han back through whatever you ignored on the way in.  I got a little lucky on crates, and had the ability to shut down an Imp unit for one turn, plus heals that could work on Han.  I didn't open the doors by turn 3, led off turn 4 with Han using a double move, which then put him in range of Fenn's free move.  He got that again in turn 5.  He also got healed on turn 4.  Combined with shutting down 2 Royal Guards for a turn, escape was fairly straight forward.  Some luck?  Sure.  But this is far from "unwinnable".

Edited by robo40

But looking at it again, I wonder if the real trick to this mission is just the opposite: take it very slow and steady, killing everything in Han's way until it's safe for him to run out in one activation.

Turn 3 used Gaarkhan to open the door.  Elite STs spawned and the Imp Officer.  Han spawned.  Diala hadn't activated, so we moved Diala and Force Throw Han 3 extra spaces.  Then Han double-moves

How is that possible? Han is also exhausted. 

I meant double-move the first turn of the very next round.

Edited by jnad83

So isn't it almost bette not to open the door?

The heroes do lose out on 100 bonus credits per hero by not opening the door before round 3 (in addition to the normal 100 credits per hero for finishing the mission)

Edited by jnad83

The key is to never, ever open a door on the last or 2nd to last Hero activation.  Bad stuff usually happens, all your activation are spent, and the IP gets to activate unopposed.

In Fly Solo, you have to get to the door by the end of Turn 2 (moderately simple, even with some attacks on the bad guys along the way).  Then open it early turn 3.

IIRC, the STs start de-activated (if not your Imp Player screwed up), so you have all of Turn 3 to use special abilities to get Haan out of there.  From there Haan always goes first with his turn being double-move.

If you have Diala gain a few MPs by Force Throwing Haan (or Gideon can Command, or Fenn can give MPs).

We almost won this, but mostly because we got too smart for ourselves and on the 2nd to last turn went with a convoluted plan rather than just moving Han first.  Turns out if we had moved Han first, we would've won.

The stormies only deploy exhausted if you open the door on Turn 3.  We attempted to, but failed the check.  Therefore, the door opened on Turn 4 automatically, and Han deployed with 4 damage while an elite stormie squad deployed behind him - just inside the room - each with 2 damage.  Realizing that we had to get Han out of the line of fire of 3 elite stormtroopers, we activated him first and he dropped one stormtrooper before bolting.  The other 2 methodically moved up and executed him.

If you fail to open the door before the mission rules open it for you, you have one activation to save Han.  If you fail to find a way to do so, the mission ends.  He will fold like a house of cards the first time anyone shoots at him.  

I think your biggest failure is not realizing at that point the mission is really a race.

Han should have bolted down the path the E-Web didn't spawn immediately using his 8 movement points.

We barely lost it ourselves.  We lucked out and got a stun grenade and used that to stun whatever was by the Entrance.  We got Han to the stairs and turn 1 of the next round Diala attempted to Force Throw Han 3 more spaces to win on the next activation and failed the 95% check.

We didn't realize the rules for escaping only required to be adjacent to the entrance token and not on top of it and spend 1 MP, so at that point we still could have won by double-moving Han but did not (in fact we could have won right away if we had just moved Han turn 1 that final round).  But we didn't and lost.

For all intents and purposes Fly Solo is:

1) Kill everything until Round 4.

2) First turn of Round 4 double-move Han down the least dangerous path.  Back fill your heroes behind him.  Run past IG-88, chances are he won't kill him (moving means IG-88 will only get one attack -- or send another Hero down the other path to take him out).

Use Fenn's Tactical Movement to move Han.

Use Gideon to move Han.

Use Diala's Force Throw to move Han.

Use your Heroes to block Han's backside.  All that matters is Han gets out.   The game says so, your Heroes don't matter.

From Han's Round 4 starting spot, it is 17 Movement Points to win the game (no matter which route you go, it is the same).

If the Heroes don't have an ability to give Han 1 MP, they're screwed, but otherwise Han is only vulnerable to IG-88 for 1 attack (IG-88 has to spend a move action to get away from the Entrance token).

Edited by jnad83

If the Heroes don't have an ability to give Han 1 MP, they're screwed, but otherwise Han is only vulnerable to IG-88 for 1 attack (IG-88 has to spend a move action to get away from the Entrance token).

He's also vulnerable to whatever the Imperials spawn in front of him.  Even if he goes down the other path, a squad of troopers + IG88 can all go down the entrance tunnel and force at least 1 more turn if not 2, which will probably mean another spawn, right on top of the rebels, assuming Han hasn't been killed by that point, which is likely.

This is pretty rough on the rebels if they don't know the mission ahead of time and can be pretty rough even if they do.  Some agenda cards can make it pretty much impossible.

Yeah, I played this one as IP this evening and I don't think that it is really possible for the rebels without either a terrible mistake on the part of the imperial player or HUGE swings in dice. We played through the mission twice, as my rebel players were pretty pissed when I gunned down han by the end of round 4. The second time didnt really go much better for them as I just planted figures to wait for han at the places he could make it to after a double move while taking long range pot shots and wearing down their heroes.

He's also vulnerable to whatever the Imperials spawn in front of him.  Even if he goes down the other path, a squad of troopers + IG88 can all go down the entrance tunnel and force at least 1 more turn if not 2, which will probably mean another spawn, right on top of the rebels, assuming Han hasn't been killed by that point, which is likely.

This is pretty rough on the rebels if they don't know the mission ahead of time and can be pretty rough even if they do.  Some agenda cards can make it pretty much impossible.

If the Rebels play intelligently and think through their moves, i don't think the IP can force 1 more turn.

The worst I listed, Fenn, gives Han 2 MPs, which is enough to pay the penalty to get through any blockade.

The stairwell on the right is aligned such that you can use diagonal movement to shortcut any blockade and only pay 1MP penalty.  it would be very hard to set up a blockade.

As for IG-88, he cannot attack Han (unless the IP brings an Officer).  He only gets 4 MPs, which isn't enough to get out of the hallway AND attack.  The only Threat to Han is whatever the IP spawns IF the rebels have one of the characters I listed.

Edited by jnad83

From Han's Round 4 starting spot, it is 17 Movement Points to win the game (no matter which route you go, it is the same).

(Emphasis mine.)  

And herein lies another design flaw in the mission: if your heroes haven't taken certain support cards, you lose.  This was our first IA campaign, and we were all learning as we went.  Our Diala player was attempting to play Diala as a front-line killing machine rather than a support character, and didn't have Force Throw or virtually anything that would have allowed Han extra movement.  The rest of our team was Garkhaan, Finn, and Mak.  

Winning this mission as Rebels requires a ridiculous amount of luck - or misplays by the Imperial player - and having made "correct" choices on your hero support cards up to this point.  Since you can't know that the latter will hose you until you've already lost, it's kind of ridiculous.  

I would remind you, that if Fenn gives Solo two MP (on Fenns turn) that those MPoints must be used right away and cannot be saved till Solo's turn.

That means Fenn's Tactical Movement cannot be used to bust a blockade. It would take 3MPs to get through a hostile figure and end in a legal space.

However, Gideon's Command would work, assuming there was only one enemy to move through.

I would remind you, that if Fenn gives Solo two MP (on Fenns turn) that those MPoints must be used right away and cannot be saved till Solo's turn.

That means Fenn's Tactical Movement cannot be used to bust a blockade. It would take 3MPs to get through a hostile figure and end in a legal space.

However, Gideon's Command would work, assuming there was only one enemy to move through.

Fenn's movement ability also has a range limit, so Fenn has to be perfectly placed for this to even be possible.

Just thinking back to our last campaign and the agenda cards I had would have made this mission impossible, not to mention things like sustained fire, shock troops and imperial industry that would have meant Solo would get blown away easily.

While the heroes gain armor and such to make them a bit tougher as the campaign goes on, allies do not.  It's pretty easy even mid campaign to completely destroy even a tough ally with one activation.

If the Rebels play intelligently and think through their moves, i don't think the IP can force 1 more turn.

The worst I listed, Fenn, gives Han 2 MPs, which is enough to pay the penalty to get through any blockade.

The stairwell on the right is aligned such that you can use diagonal movement to shortcut any blockade and only pay 1MP penalty.  it would be very hard to set up a blockade.

As for IG-88, he cannot attack Han (unless the IP brings an Officer).  He only gets 4 MPs, which isn't enough to get out of the hallway AND attack.  The only Threat to Han is whatever the IP spawns IF the rebels have one of the characters I listed.

I am having trouble following you here.  It still takes at least 2 turns to get Han to the entrance.  At closest starting spot (didnt open the door in time), he is 15 squares away.  Would need a perfect hero/skill combo to get that much movement to him, and it wouldn't be all at once, it would be over the course of the round.  Which means that Han is taking some attacks.  It is also quite easy for the Imperial to use IG-88 and a group of stormies to block the 2x2 entrance hallway.  Han needs to roll some serious dodges to have a solid shot at this mission. 

Would the new hero MDH19 help? Can solo be healed?

Good suggestion!

“During a campaign, all [rebel symbol] figures are friendly toward one another” RRG, page 13

All of the medical supply cards use “friendly figures” and the majority of his abilities use “friendly figures” as well. So plenty of options to heal him!

bacta-radiator.png

Important to note that although Bacta radiator uses “friendly figure”, Han would only be able to recover 1 because:

“If an effect allows a hero to recover more [strain] than he has suffered, he recovers one [damage] for each [strain] he cannot recover.” RRG, page 23, emphasis is mine.
Edited by Armandhammer

Medical Loadout can be used to get a Medical card.

Of course, then  either of the Medical cards could help (Bacta Infusion or Emergency Medpac).

For that matter in a normal mission either Medical card would help (search the crates).

Edited by jnad83

I am having trouble following you here.  It still takes at least 2 turns to get Han to the entrance.  At closest starting spot (didnt open the door in time), he is 15 squares away.  Would need a perfect hero/skill combo to get that much movement to him, and it wouldn't be all at once, it would be over the course of the round.  Which means that Han is taking some attacks.  It is also quite easy for the Imperial to use IG-88 and a group of stormies to block the 2x2 entrance hallway.  Han needs to roll some serious dodges to have a solid shot at this mission. 

Han will take shots, but not from IG-88.

The hallway IG-88 starts in is 5 squares long and IG-88 only gets 4 MPs per action.

Round 4 First Activation Han moves 8 spaces and will be smack-dab in the middle of the left or right path.

Round 5 (assuming Rebels gave Han some movement), Han moves to win the game.

Han will take shots from whatever the IP spawned with 16 Threat.  But it won't be from IG-88 or the Elite STs (they'll be attacking from 8 + 3 - 5 = 6 range).

But, yes, success in the mission comes down to (one of the following):

1) Gideon or Diala w/ Force Throw

2) Lucky supply draw of Bacta Infusion or Med Kit (or possibly Stun Grenade)

3) IP ineptitude and/or extremely lucky defense rolls

Edited by jnad83

Han will take shots, but not from IG-88.

The hallway IG-88 starts in is 5 squares long and IG-88 only gets 4 MPs per action.

Round 4 First Activation Han moves 8 spaces and will be smack-dab in the middle of the left or right path.

Round 5 (assuming Rebels gave Han some movement), Han moves to win the game.

Han will take shots from whatever the IP spawned with 16 Threat.  But it won't be from IG-88 or the Elite STs (they'll be attacking from 8 + 2 - 5 = 5 range).

But, yes, success in the mission comes down to (one of the following):

1) Gideon or Diala w/ Force Throw

2) Lucky supply draw of Bacta Infusion or Med Kit (or possibly Stun Grenade)

3) IP ineptitude and/or extremely lucky defense rolls

IG-88 is speed 5 and the mission allows it to perform a move when it is deployed.  This will put it into position to take 2 attacks on Han if he uses a full 8 move.  With an Imperial Officer on the other side deployed on round 3, Han has the choice of going towards IG-88 and maybe dying, or going towards the officer and maybe getting stunned, and then dying.

I've just read this mission and I didn't see anything about the blue imperial deployment spot. Does anyone know when this turns on? Thanks

If the door is still closed at the end of Round 3, "Daring Escape" triggers and that's where an injured Han Solo comes out

Now I have another question. Okay IG-88 can attack twice and has Ruthlessness, and when heros get damage when the would get strain. Now can IG-88 attack Han twice,forcing Han to suffer 2 damage automatically?

Edited by Purple Orc

Now I have another question. Okay IG-88 can attack twice and has Ruthlessness, and when heros get damage when the would get strain. Now can IG-88 attack Han twice,forcing Han to suffer 2 damage automatically?

Yes, if IG-88 attacks Han, Han would automatically suffer 1 damage from Relentless when each attack is declared.  From the RRG in the section on Strain.

Strain in a Campaign

When any other figure (non hero) suffers strain, it suffers an equal amount of damage instead.

Edited by machfalcon