Sign in to follow this  
Leveton

Fly Solo

It does seem like the only reasonable chance to win this as the Rebels is to know what will happen and intentionally leave the door closed so Han deploys to the blue point instead of the storage closet. He comes out wounded that way, but he also has a few steps head start on the Elite Stormtroopers, so he can then go first and double-move, and then those ESTs will likely never get a shot at him. With Masterstroke Gideon and either Force Throw Diala or Tactical Movement Fenn, he could theoretically even escape on the third Rebel activation, giving the Imperial only 2 chances to shoot at him.

Conversely, if the Rebels "follow instructions" and open the door on round 3, then Han cannot get far enough ahead of the ESTs to avoid being shot by them, which will probably hurt quite a lot. Things are even worse if the Rebels open the door early in the round (which is also generally a good strategy), since that means the Imperial will have more groups still ready, and will (if he's clever) have made sure to keep those Trandoshans or a few regular Stormtroopers alive and close to the door, so that they can rush into the room and shoot at Han while he's still exhausted. Probably almost impossible to win that way, without extreme dice luck or fairly poor Imperial tactics.

The key is to never, ever open a door on the last or 2nd to last Hero activation.  Bad stuff usually happens, all your activation are spent, and the IP gets to activate unopposed.

In Fly Solo, you have to get to the door by the end of Turn 2 (moderately simple, even with some attacks on the bad guys along the way).  Then open it early turn 3.

IIRC, the STs start de-activated (if not your Imp Player screwed up), so you have all of Turn 3 to use special abilities to get Haan out of there.  From there Haan always goes first with his turn being double-move.

If you have Diala gain a few MPs by Force Throwing Haan (or Gideon can Command, or Fenn can give MPs).

We almost won this, but mostly because we got too smart for ourselves and on the 2nd to last turn went with a convoluted plan rather than just moving Han first.  Turns out if we had moved Han first, we would've won.

The stormies only deploy exhausted if you open the door on Turn 3.  We attempted to, but failed the check.  Therefore, the door opened on Turn 4 automatically, and Han deployed with 4 damage while an elite stormie squad deployed behind him - just inside the room - each with 2 damage.  Realizing that we had to get Han out of the line of fire of 3 elite stormtroopers, we activated him first and he dropped one stormtrooper before bolting.  The other 2 methodically moved up and executed him.

If you fail to open the door before the mission rules open it for you, you have one activation to save Han.  If you fail to find a way to do so, the mission ends.  He will fold like a house of cards the first time anyone shoots at him.  

After looking at this mission again in the book, I can see two basic strategies.

The obvious one is the blitz: get Han out as fast as possible. If you're going to use that strategy, then having Han do anything except double-move seems like a clear tactical error, so i.e. "dropping one before bolting" is not going to work, because then he only moves 4 spaces, and the elite troopers move 4 spaces and shoot him down. Rather, Han should go first and move 8, so the elite troopers can never get in range. But that will only work if the Imperial has failed to deploy anything dangerous near the entrance, or if the Rebels are in position to block their LOS while Han sprints out (ideally with the help of Masterstroke, Force Push and/or Tactical Movement).

But looking at it again, I wonder if the real trick to this mission is just the opposite: take it very slow and steady, killing everything in Han's way until it's safe for him to run out in one activation. In particular, note that the mission does not end when all heroes are wounded, nor at the end of any particular round; the only way the mission ends is if Han escapes or is killed. So the Heroes just need to body-block for Han while they kill the elite troopers, and then slowly move in a group toward the entrance, killing everything on the way and resting only to recover strain or avoid being withdrawn. It doesn't matter if every hero is wounded, they can keep on killing and slowly moving up; all that matters is preventing shots at Han.

After looking at this mission again in the book, I can see two basic strategies.

The obvious one is the blitz: get Han out as fast as possible. If you're going to use that strategy, then having Han do anything except double-move seems like a clear tactical error, so i.e. "dropping one before bolting" is not going to work, because then he only moves 4 spaces, and the elite troopers move 4 spaces and shoot him down. Rather, Han should go first and move 8, so the elite troopers can never get in range. But that will only work if the Imperial has failed to deploy anything dangerous near the entrance, or if the Rebels are in position to block their LOS while Han sprints out (ideally with the help of Masterstroke, Force Push and/or Tactical Movement).

But looking at it again, I wonder if the real trick to this mission is just the opposite: take it very slow and steady, killing everything in Han's way until it's safe for him to run out in one activation. In particular, note that the mission does not end when all heroes are wounded, nor at the end of any particular round; the only way the mission ends is if Han escapes or is killed. So the Heroes just need to body-block for Han while they kill the elite troopers, and then slowly move in a group toward the entrance, killing everything on the way and resting only to recover strain or avoid being withdrawn. It doesn't matter if every hero is wounded, they can keep on killing and slowly moving up; all that matters is preventing shots at Han.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the strategies available.

Unfortunately for us, we couldn't simply run with Han.  One end of the corridor was covered by an elite E-web and plain Imperial Officer.  The elite stormtrooper squad that had just entered the game with him was at his back.  We had not opened the other door, so all he could do was get out of the hallway he had spawned into and hope for the best on defense rolls.  

The lack of knowledge going into what is about to happen gets him killed, because you have no idea what to be prepping for, and you are not given any time to adapt to the board situation when he shows up.  He appears, and you have one activation to save him from 3 incoming shots by the elite stormtrooper squad. 

I guess if he can't run, he's just dead (barring crazy lucky defense dice).  

We did note that this was the first untimed mission we had played in the campaign.  None of us realized that we could all be wounded and still be able to press on.  You're programmed to simply accept that as a lose condition by this stage of the campaign.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the strategies available.

Unfortunately for us, we couldn't simply run with Han.  One end of the corridor was covered by an elite E-web and plain Imperial Officer.  The elite stormtrooper squad that had just entered the game with him was at his back.  We had not opened the other door, so all he could do was get out of the hallway he had spawned into and hope for the best on defense rolls.  

The lack of knowledge going into what is about to happen gets him killed, because you have no idea what to be prepping for, and you are not given any time to adapt to the board situation when he shows up.  He appears, and you have one activation to save him from 3 incoming shots by the elite stormtrooper squad. 

I guess if he can't run, he's just dead (barring crazy lucky defense dice).  

We did note that this was the first untimed mission we had played in the campaign.  None of us realized that we could all be wounded and still be able to press on.  You're programmed to simply accept that as a lose condition by this stage of the campaign.

You can argue that is what most of the first time playing any of the missions are. The Rebels have little to no knowledge of what is going to happen until it does. The next time you do play it you know what is going to happen and when, that is where you can plan to hopefully change the outcome.

You can also argue (and I have as a Rebel, and I have heard it from my Rebels) that any mission that cannot reasonably be won on the first encounter is not a particularly well designed mission. Surprises are supposed to add excitement and flavor, but if you effectively *must* know the "surprises" in advance in order to even have a chance, then they're not really serving that purpose; rather, they start to smell more like a really lame attempt to encourage repeat plays just so Rebels can have the experience of winning.

You can also argue (and I have as a Rebel, and I have heard it from my Rebels) that any mission that cannot reasonably be won on the first encounter is not a particularly well designed mission. Surprises are supposed to add excitement and flavor, but if you effectively *must* know the "surprises" in advance in order to even have a chance, then they're not really serving that purpose; rather, they start to smell more like a really lame attempt to encourage repeat plays just so Rebels can have the experience of winning.

I think that this is what my complaint boils down to.  I'm being a bit vocal about it because of the previous 2 missions we lost, we had a chance and either lost due to bad tactical choices or badly timed dice rolls.  I can live with that.  They were fun games that were narrow losses.  The surprises did their job of changing the tactical situation, but didn't feel game-breaking.

This mission didn't feel that way at all.  Before we activated on Turn 4 - once Han and all of the other pieces had been placed as a result of the various mission triggers - it was obvious we were about to lose and there was nothing we could do about it.  

Yeah, this mission can easily get into that situation.

One might argue that it's okay given that this mission is only played if the Rebels won the previous story mission, so this should be harder. But on the other hand, the alternate mission at this point in the campaign is Imperial Hospitality which is just as hard and has just as big of a "gotcha" reveal, easily ending in a Rebel loss with no reasonable way for them to avoid it. These two and Generous Donations are I think my least favorite missions, because they all have such bad "surprises" that the Rebels kind of have to know about ahead of time to have a chance.

Oh, you're right, I was remembering that backwards. Still, a nearly automatic loss just for having won previously isn't terribly fun, and Imperial Hospitality is hardly a giveaway for Rebel teams who lost previously.

But looking at it again, I wonder if the real trick to this mission is just the opposite: take it very slow and steady, killing everything in Han's way until it's safe for him to run out in one activation.

This is a good point, when you open the door early he's already in a decent hiding spot.  But I think that spot requires 2-3 people to secure it, still causing issues in that as soon as someone goes, the 3 Elite ST's can activate.

I think this mission relies upon having either:

Diala with Force Throw

Fenn w/ Tactical Movement (actually doesn't work since TM has to be used at Start of Activation)

Gideon

Jyn with Deathhammer (could potentially take out 2 Elite STs with QD)

We were only so close to winning because we did everything right (and would have won if we'd realized to just keep moving Han):

1.  We had Diala/Gaarkhan/Mak (3-player helped a fair bit, since 1 character got 2 activations).

2.  We killed both Trandoshans (and 4/6 STs -- imp chose 2 ST groups).

3.  We had Force Throw.

Opening move, Diala Force Throw Gaarkhan 3 extra spaces, then moved.  Gaarkhan went 2nd and charged the ST group, then moved 4 spaces toward the door.   Mak disengaged at some point when ST's attacked, got 3 spaces forward, and killed 2/3 STs.

Turn 2 gaarkhan got to the door (Charge again), Mak and Diala still near the entrance.  Gaarkhan worked on killing some Trandoshans (trying to fortify the door) with 2 attacks.  Diala double-moved to the door, and Mak held back and finished off some 2nd group STs (trying to fortify the door).

Turn 3 used Gaarkhan to open the door.  Elite STs spawned and the Imp Officer.  Han spawned.  Diala hadn't activated, so we moved Diala and Force Throw Han 3 extra spaces.  Then Han double-moves, taking the hard-corner to the back entrance (rather than the direct LOS route).  Han hid behind another IMP ST still remaining to block LOS to pursuing Elite STs.

Turn 4 Han went first and got to the steps of the courtyard with a double move (Nexu and IG-88 moving to confront).  Mak searched a crate and drew a stun grenade, used it on Nexu/IG-88).  Gaarkhan/Diala pursued and damaged some STs.

Turn 5 we got cute and decided to try to Force Throw Han 3 extra spaces to win that turn.  The Force Throw failed (we didn't have Force Adept).  Dejected, rather than still moving we had Mak go (mistake #2, we should have still moved Han with a good chance at winning).  IG-88 shot Han, bringing him to 4 health left.  Finally 3 elite ST's came in and finished him off.

Really, since the Nexu was stunned, we did not realize that if we had just moved Han, if the Nexu tried to attack (Pounce), it couldn't move out of the way, and nothing else could finish Han off.  We should have just moved Han first, guaranteeing the win.

Edited by jnad83

Played this mission last night, I was Imperial and the Rebels got absolutely smoked.  They decided to go down the hallway with the probe droids and the stormies.  Not the best call, just takes too long to get down there and to open that door.  They did manage to open the door by round 3, however, they spent so many actions moving they had not killed a single deployment group, and had three Rebels (Gaarkhan, Diala, and Fenn) all outside the door to Han.  Han came in, tried to run through the Elite Stormies, got trapped in that hallway, and shortly died because I had all my deployment cards on the table at this point (Never played a game where I got all my deployments out of my hand).  Obviously, my Rebels tried to rush the objective, and it didn't work on this mission.  

Some thoughts on how the Rebels could be more successful.  It seems to me, that it might be better not opening the door and having Han start in the hallway,  unless you have some serious movement help from your Rebel players (Tac move, Force Push, etc), I just can't see Han being able to get far enough down the hallway starting at full health, and then he is taking the Elite Stormies.  I think it's best for the Rebels to focus on killing as many of the Imp groups as possible.  Keeping two Rebels in the first room killing the stormies and helping kill anything that spawns/dealing with IG-88.  Having the two other Rebels focus on the Trando's, and then maybe the other set of Stormies/Probe Droid.  

Im not sure though, this mission is definitely very very tough for the Rebels.  Has anyone seen any success with it?  I think the ultimate decision is, if its worth bringing Han in injured, or healthy? 

Our Rebels won this mission. I was the Imperials. They were so slow in the beginning that they weren't even close to the door when it opened at the end of round 3 and Han rushed out. Round 4 Han goes first and double moves, and ends up in the middle of the Rebel heroes. By dumb luck they've managed to surround Han with bodies and I can't get good shots. IG-88 manages a shot but it was pretty weak. Diala Force Pushes Han extra 3 spaces towards the exit. Round 5 Han goes first and sprints to the Exit.

My key mistake was not deploying as much as I could at the end of round 3. I saved some points because I thought I had more time but I hadn't made the calculations in my head before the event actually happened. At the end of round 4 everything was too late. Basically I had to kill Han in 1 round and wasn't prepared for it. My bad.

Don't havethe campaign book on me, can anyone, in spoiler tags, tell me what the penalty is if the rebel open the door in time? What effekt does that have?

if they open the door before the end of round three, the Elite Stormtroopers, the Elite Officer, and Han Solo are all deployed onto the table exhausted.

Don't havethe campaign book on me, can anyone, in spoiler tags, tell me what the penalty is if the rebel open the door in time? What effekt does that have?

if they open the door before the end of round three, the Elite Stormtroopers, the Elite Officer, and Han Solo are all deployed onto the table exhausted.

I just cannot find the Spoiler tag when making a post?!

And if they don't open the door?

Then Han and the 3 elite stormtroopers are deployed having already taken damage (2 for each of the stormies and 4 for Han) and there is no elite officer. Han also deploys 2 or 3 spaces outside the room.

If you can't open it early enough in a turn to deal with what gets deployed inside before they can act (and I think lack of info isn't a valid complaint regarding the mission design, 'doors open, enemies deploy' is a thing rebels should expect and opening a door as your last activation on a turn is generally a bad idea), then yes, but Han hitting the board with some health gone isn't exactly terrible for the imperial player.

I personally think this mission favours the rebels, relatively speaking, subversive tactics makes every mission difficult for the rebels.

I just cannot find the Spoiler tag when making a post?!

To do the spoiler tag, you must do this:

[ spoiler ] (insert text) [ /spoiler ]

but you MUST remove the spaces inbetween the brackets or it doesn't work

If you can't open it early enough in a turn to deal with what gets deployed inside before they can act (and I think lack of info isn't a valid complaint regarding the mission design, 'doors open, enemies deploy' is a thing rebels should expect and opening a door as your last activation on a turn is generally a bad idea), then yes, but Han hitting the board with some health gone isn't exactly terrible for the imperial player.

I personally think this mission favours the rebels, relatively speaking, subversive tactics makes every mission difficult for the rebels.

What DEBO said

But looking at it again, I wonder if the real trick to this mission is just the opposite: take it very slow and steady, killing everything in Han's way until it's safe for him to run out in one activation.

Turn 3 used Gaarkhan to open the door.  Elite STs spawned and the Imp Officer.  Han spawned.  Diala hadn't activated, so we moved Diala and Force Throw Han 3 extra spaces.  Then Han double-moves

How is that possible? Han is also exhausted. 

How is that possible? Han is also exhausted.

For some reason, this is a highly overlooked part of this mission. I've had two Imperial players place down their elite troopers and then attempt to immediately activate them, and I've seen it happen on vassal too.