Sign in to follow this  
Yepesnopes

Now I understand a bit more

Hilarious! but true!

The EU? Slap!

Top!!

I never understood the popularity of that character. He's barely in the movies and really doesn't do anything besides follow the Falcon for a bit and then let Vader know where it's going. That's really it. You don't see him in any fights being a major badass, so...

I'll try to explain it a little bit. I grew up during the OT time frame. I remember watching Empire and jedi in the movie theater. A lot of what Fett is to people is not really just the Mandalorian stuff that came later, but all the promo stuff from the late 70s. The Walt images of him fascinated everyone, I have very vague memories of him being in cartoon, which as we all know now is the Holiday Special. He was the first mail away figure and he was supposed to have a rocket firing back pack!! He was just a comets mystery, an armored guy loaded with tons of cool hidden weapons! Fett has always been my favorite, and he always will be, not becuSe of what he is now and what others have made him into, but for what he represents to me and my childhood. Fett was pretty well hyped up before Empire came out, and I think a lot of people expected more of him, but for this 6 year little boy, he was everything that was awesome about Star Wars.

Hilarious! but true!

The EU? Slap!

Top!!

I never understood the popularity of that character. He's barely in the movies and really doesn't do anything besides follow the Falcon for a bit and then let Vader know where it's going. That's really it. You don't see him in any fights being a major badass, so...

I'll try to explain it a little bit. I grew up during the OT time frame. I remember watching Empire and jedi in the movie theater. A lot of what Fett is to people is not really just the Mandalorian stuff that came later, but all the promo stuff from the late 70s. The Walt images of him fascinated everyone, I have very vague memories of him being in cartoon, which as we all know now is the Holiday Special. He was the first mail away figure and he was supposed to have a rocket firing back pack!! He was just a comets mystery, an armored guy loaded with tons of cool hidden weapons! Fett has always been my favorite, and he always will be, not becuSe of what he is now and what others have made him into, but for what he represents to me and my childhood. Fett was pretty well hyped up before Empire came out, and I think a lot of people expected more of him, but for this 6 year little boy, he was everything that was awesome about Star Wars.

So, basically he was the General Grievous of your youth. Overhyped before the movies, and underwhelmed by the actual onscreen performance of said character.

General Grievous takes down six Jedi, including two Jedi Council members by himself (plus a seventh offscreen)

Grievous let down was much worse. We had a clear ideal about him before Episode 3. The Split to 4 Arms Surprise which should have been awesome ended up being boring. People looking for at least half of what they got in his abilities from the Cartoon Network Video vs the Movie. We did not get that. If that Clone Wars Animated Grievous had not shown up then you would have been eh.

For those in the OT time frame - they were mostly left to their own Imagination on who this Guy was. 

Sorry, that is no where a close comparison. For me you it is not just a simple justification of one to another. I don't feel grievous was hyped the same as Fett. I was already an adult when the prequels were coming out, and Greivous was being hyped as some super jedi killer or some other such nonsense.

In the early days, Fett was a mystery. He was a bounty hunter who wore the armor of the old super cammando Mandalorians that were wiped out by the Jedi during the clone wars. Just mysteries upon mysteries. He was not hyped as some super killer. We had an awesome prototype action figure, a cheesy cartoon, and some great preproduction photos in Bantha Tracks.

To say that Fett was the last generations Grebvious really dimiinishes Fett and Grievous both. One was a mystery man, a Wild West bounty hunter, the other a CGI robotic jedi murdering machine. So for me, they are nowhere similar, and for me to try to equate Greivous to Fett, diminishes what he represents to the prequel generation. For me, Fett delivered everything that he was supposed too, well, except for the rocket firing back pack!

Sorry, that is no where a close comparison. For me you it is not just a simple justification of one to another. I don't feel grievous was hyped the same as Fett. I was already an adult when the prequels were coming out, and Greivous was being hyped as some super jedi killer or some other such nonsense.

In the early days, Fett was a mystery. He was a bounty hunter who wore the armor of the old super cammando Mandalorians that were wiped out by the Jedi during the clone wars. Just mysteries upon mysteries. He was not hyped as some super killer. We had an awesome prototype action figure, a cheesy cartoon, and some great preproduction photos in Bantha Tracks.

To say that Fett was the last generations Grebvious really dimiinishes Fett and Grievous both. One was a mystery man, a Wild West bounty hunter, the other a CGI robotic jedi murdering machine. So for me, they are nowhere similar, and for me to try to equate Greivous to Fett, diminishes what he represents to the prequel generation. For me, Fett delivered everything that he was supposed too, well, except for the rocket firing back pack!

Then there really wasn't much for Fett to deliver. He follows Han in one scene, Vader is the one that captures Han and the others and turns Han over to Fett. The next time we see him he's hanging around Jabba's palace and gets knocked into the Sarlacc via his own jet pack. A whole lot of meh relative to the "mystery man" hype yoiu're talking about.

Grievous was the same... hyped as a Jedi killer and such... tons of interesting pictures... what do we get in the movie, a wheezing, limping idiot who's most threatening move against a Jedi is to just helicopter his lightsabers around and walk slowly and not really all that menacingly towards his target.

Yep, pretty much the same thing to each generation. Remember, you're looking at Fett after 30+ years of your own memories vs what a 6 year-old then vs a 6 year-old now was exposed to about the two characters.

As a girl I sent away for that action figure. I still had it until a few years ago.  I even made him a custom cloak.

Then, eventually, I realised he sucked.  An obscure and underwhelming character overhyped by fanboys.

Cruel mandolorian; the first to break my heart, but nowhere near the last :(

"And I say this with nothing but love... but f*** the Extended Universe!"

Edited by Maelora

Hmm, either you don't understand what I was talking about or are just be obtuse to be obtuse. I am not tying to sway you to make Fett your favorite. You made the comment that you do not understand those that love him. I am not here to argue over the fact that it was actually Fett was able to follow the Falcon, that allowed Vader to capture him, or if Fett underwhelmed in the movies. For me, Fett never failed to deliver what he supposed to. For me, Fett was much more than what was just in Empire and Jedi. It was a childlike sense of wonder that now has transformed into in a pleasant nostalgia.

So if this is all meh to you or not is really irrelevant. I guess your question was supposed to be rhetorical. I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate if Fett is a great character or not, I was just answering your question of why people like him. Do I think he was a great character, no, but for all my love of Star Ears, I don't think they are great movies.

But I guess according to you only characters that were in the movie a lot and were major bad asses in fights are supposed to have fans?

What Fett and the "Mandalorians" were turned into was appalling to me, and I am very glad that that Travesty is wiped out.

Going back to the original topic, yes force unleashed was to far over the top but look up the source book wizards of the coast did for the saga version of the game, "based on it. Yes it has the character write ups but far more, it's really a source book for the years between episode 3 and new hope. I really liked that book, thought it was one of their best, I really recommend it! :)

Ahahaha! I was seven when I saw the original film.  And I was 10 or so when I started dressing my Boba Fett mail-away.  

I liked the Ewoks too. And the Holiday Special. And I think Jar-Jar is okay.

Now I think FFG should do a 'Star Ears' sourcebook.

Edited by Maelora

For what it's worth, as an ardent believer in the Death of the Author, I think the stories of 6 year old Maelora matter more than what's canon or not. :)

Also, I loved the Ewoks too. Fluffy space teddy bear cannibals who give C3P0 finally a chance to shine - literally and figuratively, heh.

When did ewoks eat other ewoks? Was that part of the special editions? Edited by R2builder

I wouldn't give TFU a blanket label of "horrible" or "silly". The Force use was over the top and the premise was pretty ridiculous, but the game was fun and story - once you get past the premise - was good. Especially the novel.

I never read any of the NJO stories, so most of my experience with the YV was from the legacy comics, and those comics made them seem really cool and they helped create the world within those comics which is a big plus for me.

Edited by kaosoe

Now I was thinking that it would be funny to create a data base of horrible or silly SW EU things, like the ig nobels but for SW.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Just because you find something "horrible" or "silly" doesn't mean the rest of the community does.

Some of us liked The Force Unleashed as a video game.  Some folks think the KOTOR games are utter crap and should never have been created, and the code flushed down the refresher right along side the code for the X-Wing and TIE fighter games.  There are folks that think there's very little genuine chemistry between Han+Leia, with their "sudden romance" angle feeling only slightly less forced than the Anakin+Padme romance plot, and that simply because Harrison Ford is a far superior actor to Hayden.  I ran in one Star Wars game where the GM pretty ignored the ass-pull of Leia being Luke's long-lost sister and had another PC be the "other Skywalker" (this was run well before the prequels came out) and having Luke and Leia hook up while Han got involved with another PC in the group.

There are people that really like the Vong, and as a few posters demonstrated there is plenty of support for how Karen Traviss interpreted the Mandalorian culture in the Republic Commando books.  There are people that liked the Kevin J. Anderson books.

Point being, any such list is going to arbitrary at best and hotly-contested at worst.  I follow the caretaker of Club Jade on Twitter, and seeing some of her exasperated tweets about what's got the SW fandom's knickers in a twist this week is a bizarre mix of funny and saddening.

The Expanded Universe was a crazy over-the-top place. Which is a good thing for some people, who liked the crazy-over-the-top stuff, and for others it just shattered their suspension of disbelief.

Probably had something to do with why Disney disregarded the EU, easier for them to set their own "lower Force baseline" that way with only The Clone Wars to complicate things beyond the prequels the way...

The Expanded Universe was a crazy over-the-top place. Which is a good thing for some people, who liked the crazy-over-the-top stuff, and for others it just shattered their suspension of disbelief.

Probably had something to do with why Disney disregarded the EU, easier for them to set their own "lower Force baseline" that way with only The Clone Wars to complicate things beyond the prequels the way...

Probably had nothing to do with why Disney wiped the slate clean. Technically, Lucas had already done that when he went to film the prequels and didn't care one whit about what others may or may not have written about the time. He was the sole owner of the setting and wanted to tell whatever story he wanted to tell, any other author be damned. So, Disney has just done the same thing.

Lucas apparently *asked* the developers to go over the top with the "Force Unleashed" games.  He wanted players to feel exceedingly powerful as Jedi.  (The original idea from the same development team?  A Chewbacca game, which Lucas found wanting.)

Additionally, Lucas desired the overall story for "Force Unleashed" to be canonical.  Especially regarding the origins of the Rebel Alliance.

So like others have already stated, you just have to take it for what it is - a fun video game with a pretty good storyline approved (at the time) by Lucas himself.

My only complaint with the "Force Unleashed" games' impact?  The creation of 'fans' who claim anything less than absolute power as a Jedi is ridiculous.  That stuff gets annoying.  Ha.

My only complaint with the "Force Unleashed" games' impact?  The creation of 'fans' who claim anything less than absolute power as a Jedi is ridiculous.  That stuff gets annoying.  Ha.

QFT!

TFU was sold as force powers cranked up to eleven. It's like the type of game that people in that universe would play. Their real life heros cranked up beyond normal power levels. It's frustrating when playing an RPG with someone who insists that is the normal power level for force users to have and keeps trying to narrate their powers over the top.

I recently got Force unleashed in a Humble bundle. I havnt seen the trailer since it came out, never saw the ending, and am about 7 missions in.

And really, I coud build him as he was in mission 1 (or 2? the tie factory one where you first play him) as a Knight level PC in F&D. He didnt even get Protect/Unleash until the next mission.

If he ends the game as a 500 XP badass, that's just the nature of long campains.

Eff-You is indeed the low point of the Star Wars franchise. 

Quite possibly the nadir of human existence, in fact.

In our game, the rogue Alliance Bad Company squad is actually regarded as heroes in many quarters (despite them being essentially terrorists) because they killed Monobrow Boy and kept his eyebrow as a trophy.

I have no clue but it seems like I am better off! Not googling anything.