Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Argabright

small X-wing hack I discovered..

i have aftermarket Target lock tokens that use numbers so its very handy to assign them to the same numbers that i stick on my ship bases. Cuts some of the the confusion of which TL belongs to which ship when its a big fur-ball and folks have moved all over the place and the inevitable token gets left behind..Just figured i would pass it along.. :)

While your idea is good I just hate the usage of the word 'hack' in this context. A hack is something that is done to change or bypass security features in digital software or electronical equipment, not tips and tricks to make everyday life easier.

Rant over. Yeah I'm a grumpy old codger. ;)

While your idea is good I just hate the usage of the word 'hack' in this context. A hack is something that is done to change or bypass security features in digital software or electronical equipment, not tips and tricks to make everyday life easier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_hacking

I find placing the target locks on the ship cards instead of the table really helps. I usually stack all my tokens beside the card, so if I glance down and I see the blue target lock token I know I have a lock on someone since the red one would be on top if I didn't. Focus and evade tokens I will place next to the model because they'll be gone before I move.

I find placing the target locks on the ship cards instead of the table really helps. I usually stack all my tokens beside the card, so if I glance down and I see the blue target lock token I know I have a lock on someone since the red one would be on top if I didn't. Focus and evade tokens I will place next to the model because they'll be gone before I move.

great for you, terrible for your opponent.  if someone i was facing did this, i would ask them to put the lock on the table.  on the plus side, most people have some many identical lock tokens that you can probably take two blue tokens with the same number and do both.

I don't care what wikipedia says, it's still wrong. Get off my lawn and all that. :D

And i really 'hate' when codgers misinterpreted the word hacking a being solely combined with security. Hacking is the act of extending and overcoming limitations or as wiki puts it:

"A hacker is one who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming and circumventing limitations of programming systems and who tries to extend their capabilities."

which can easily be extended to hacking outside of computer systems. Now the thing directly connected to security, is cracking, since that is trying to break security, although that could also be considered one of the many forms of hacking.

Edited by sigidi

I don't care what wikipedia says, it's still wrong. Get off my lawn and all that. :D

And i really 'hate' when codgers misinterpreted the word hacking a being solely combined with security. Hacking is the act of extending and overcoming limitations or as wiki puts it:

"A hacker is one who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming and circumventing limitations of programming systems and who tries to extend their capabilities."

which can easily be extended to hacking outside of computer systems. Now the thing directly connected to security, is cracking, since that is trying to break security, although that could also be considered one of the many forms of hacking.

Nah it's just bypassing computer security, never quote wikkis as an authority because anyone can edit it.

Now if you want to find a proper dictionary definition that's another matter but "the wikki says" is not a valid argument.

Even worse is when kids take things on Wikipedia as unerring truth.

hacker

[hak-er]

noun

a person or thing that hacks.

Slang. a person who engages in an activity without talent or skill:

weekend hackers on the golf course.

Computer Slang.

a person who has a high level of skill in computer technology or programming; a computer expert or enthusiast:

My brother is a real hacker—he fixed my laptop in no time.

a computer user who attempts to gain unauthorized access to proprietary computer systems:

A hacker got into my computer remotely and wiped my hard drive!

Also, check out the word origin.

Edited by Lifer4700

What about if we are travelling through a dense jungle in search of treasure, and you are armed with a machete... and need to clear away the brush?    I bet you'd hack the jungle!

It's also a combative motion with an axe.

I took the FFG Target Lock tokens and made them my own.  So, they are "official" FFG tokens, in case someone gives me a hard time.  I painted the edges either blue or red.  I did it quite sloppy,  but it could be done better to make it look nice.  I was just being lazy.

Next, I printed off different Star Wars pictures.  I found a bunch of icons and pics online and saved the files.  I resized them in MS Word and printed them off on normal paper.  I cut them out and used a glue stick to put them on the tokens.  This way, I've got some tokens that don't get confused with other people and I usually know who has what! 

I did make sure to get Wedge's and Dutch's heads so I can use them specifically.  I think I need to make a few more, though, as I have been using Tie Bombers more.  I'll need some Scum ones, too.

20140917_083441_zps4bq2vqki.jpg

Other ways to use the word hack:

To Withstand something - "Johnson is no longer with the Incredibles... he couldn't HACK it..."

An untalented proffesional - "Doctor Shakey-Hands killed a guy in Surgery last week.  He's such a HACK".

To Cough - "I was HACKing up a lung last night!"

And lastly - the act of playing HackeySack - "Hey man lets go Hack!"

Nah it's just bypassing computer security, never quote wikkis as an authority because anyone can edit it.

Now if you want to find a proper dictionary definition that's another matter but "the wikki says" is not a valid argument.

It's because they can be edited by anyone that makes them so good at defining language, since anyone can edit language too.

It's because they can be edited by anyone that makes them so good at defining language, since anyone can edit language too.

Yeah i don't think you actually understand the meaning of edit.

ed•it

(ˈɛd ɪt) 

v.t.

1. to supervise or direct the preparation of (a publication);serve as editor of.
2. to collect, prepare, and arrange (materials) forpublication.
3. to revise or correct, as a manuscript.
4. to delete; eliminate (often fol. by out): to edit out allreferences to his family.
5. to prepare (film, tape, etc.) by deleting, arranging, andsplicing material.
6. to alter the arrangement of (genes).
7. to modify (computer data or text).

n.

8. an instance or the process of editing.
[1785–95; partly back formation from editorpartly < Frenchéditer < Latin ēditus published]

Might be "okay" in casual games but not in Competitive play.

Taken from the latest FAQ page 9:

All tokens (other than shield tokens) must be placed next to the ship’s base in the play area, and cannot be placed on ship cards. 

So it might be a good idea to "practice correct" even when playing casual in order to avoid mistakes in tournaments

I took the FFG Target Lock tokens and made them my own.  So, they are "official" FFG tokens, in case someone gives me a hard time.  I painted the edges either blue or red.  I did it quite sloppy,  but it could be done better to make it look nice.  I was just being lazy.

Next, I printed off different Star Wars pictures.  I found a bunch of icons and pics online and saved the files.  I resized them in MS Word and printed them off on normal paper.  I cut them out and used a glue stick to put them on the tokens.  This way, I've got some tokens that don't get confused with other people and I usually know who has what! 

I did make sure to get Wedge's and Dutch's heads so I can use them specifically.  I think I need to make a few more, though, as I have been using Tie Bombers more.  I'll need some Scum ones, too.

20140917_083441_zps4bq2vqki.jpg

coloring the borders is brilliant - much easier to quickly eyeball

Thanks!   Yeah, I was surprised when I really looked at them that there just wasn't a lot of color on them to differentiate.  If I cover up the middle, it was almost impossible to tell.  By painting the edges, it quickly allows me to know which is what.  I just wish I wasn't so sloppy when I did it. 

I also need to make a few more...