Sign in to follow this  
Kamehameornah

Those 6 magic words!

So this weekend my wife and brother in law brought in two new comers to join us on our Talisman Saturday's... My best friend of 17 years and his fiancée.

Now, we own all the expansions, but we decided to play with just the base board (but we still allowed all of the characters). It was a fierce game, my wife got into the inner region and died one step away from the crown. Everyone had a talisman but me, but I defeated the sentinel and crossed the bridge. The mighty troll broke through the door and eventually I made it to where my wife died, and picked up her talisman. I than began to cast the command spell on my next few turns. Luck was on my side, because I rolled 6, 6, 6, 5, 4, 5. One by one, everyone was killed. Keep in mind I was the only person still in the outter region when my wife dropped the talisman, somehow, they all ended up in the outter region with the exception of my brother in law who was hot on my trail.

Even though both of the new comers lost, they had a GREAT TIME! My best friend (new guy) died twice and was turned into a toad twice, he still enjoyed himself. His fiancée did too. Later that night we went out to eat and wrap up the hanging out, during dinner my friends were still talking about the game, and then it happened! Those 6 magic words...

"When are we playing Talisman again?"

Muhahaha! I guess we have new recruits to play with! We are going to play in two weeks with them again, next time were going to introduce a few corner boards since they were able to follow the base game so easily. Awesome stuff!

Cripes!! How was your wife killed? I bet she was a bit miffed being so close to victory.

Well done for staying positive when being so far away. If someone is in the inner region and I'm in the outer, I feel like I might as well be on the far side of the moon and just wat to go and poke a dragon/demon with a piece of fresh fruit. (what about a pointed stick....?)

More disciples to the Talsiman cause. Fab.

:)

I LOVE introducing new players to Talisman. When playing with established players the atmosphere is always positively competitive with a huge slice of sarcasm and gloating going on. But when new players are having a game everyone seems to be nicer to them and helps them with suggestions and tips. It's great watching how this fades very soon after these newbies start winning games! The first time they win its like "hey well done! what a great game" but after the 3rd or 4th time its like "ok ok you lucky *******, next time I'm not going to go easy on you!" and many other excuses! :lol:

I LOVE introducing new players to Talisman. When playing with established players the atmosphere is always positively competitive with a huge slice of sarcasm and gloating going on. But when new players are having a game everyone seems to be nicer to them and helps them with suggestions and tips. It's great watching how this fades very soon after these newbies start winning games! The first time they win its like "hey well done! what a great game" but after the 3rd or 4th time its like "ok ok you lucky *******, next time I'm not going to go easy on you!" and many other excuses! :lol:

Oh yes! Recently played with a recent addition to the group, I think it was his third game. Before we started, I reminded him about the rewards for getting to the end of the corners, and particularly specified that Destiny cards typically reward you with a strength or craft (and some other bits). This player did really well in the game, using lots of dark fate to mess things up for everyone else so that I inwardly came to resent him slightly (in a friendly way, of course). However, he forgot himself and with just one life left and Leanan as a follower, faced his destiny.

His victory was quite short lived but I kept all my gloating on the inside. After all, it was only his third game :D

Haha! True.

Fyi - My best friend contacted me and asked which edition we were playing (4th revised of course). Looks like him and his fiancée enjoyed the game so much they are going to pick up the base set so they have a copy at their place.