Sign in to follow this  
Filthy Pierre

Turrets and making them an action

Wonder if it would be make it be better for the game if turrets required an action to allow them to fire outside of the front arc.

Would mean you'd have to either position your ship for front firing or lose an evade/focus to fire outside the front arc.

Same would be for Firespray using the rear arc.

I don't think it would break the turreted ships. Might be more exciting to play having to make a decision.

Autoblaster turret says hello.

You probably never met him, because no one ever took it.

It isn't magic, it's abstraction. The ships are not exactly where the base is, they are somewhere in there. The maneuvers, shots, hits, point totals all of it is an abstraction for lots of maneuvering and shooting. That is why the ships don't explode when their bases touch, except with huge. That is why overlapping an asteroid doesn't kill you dead.

The gunner has time to check their targeting information, orient and shoot.

But the action is meant to be happening at a very rapid pace, and like I said, the gunner still has to rotate their position to line up a shot within that short span that the round represents. In any video game that I've used a turret, that's the case. You don't always have a shot, because you could be facing the opposite direction when the enemy fighters make their pass, and by the time you've turned around, they've gone out of range, or out of view. The gunner is maneuvering just as much as the pilot is.

Edited by Radarman5

Is the VT-49 really a problem? I think people tend to assume it is because it's in a similar mould to the Falcon. It's the double or triple damage that's the "issue", and that issue is born less from its ability to kill than from its ability to survive. It can win by the timer. On one side, that means it's only a tournament issue. On the other side, this board is mainly tournament stuff and tournament lists are what get netdecked into casual.

No the decimator is not a problem since it has 0 agility that's why I said it would remain unaffected. The reason it was included is because it's a 3 attack native turret. I used the term "problem" lightly as well since turrets are a pain not really a problem.