Sign in to follow this  
Filthy Pierre

Turrets and making them an action

Wonder if it would be make it be better for the game if turrets required an action to allow them to fire outside of the front arc.

Would mean you'd have to either position your ship for front firing or lose an evade/focus to fire outside the front arc.

Same would be for Firespray using the rear arc.

I don't think it would break the turreted ships. Might be more exciting to play having to make a decision.

Brilliant idea. What I like most about it, is, that you could implement it easily via FAQ. No need for titles, new cards, rewording.

And it will not make turrets obsolete.

Maybe it would cost less for the turret ships as the cost would of already been factored in on turret upgrades and factory 360 arcs.

Was just thinking about all the complaints about them and how easy they are to fly. Would make it more challenging if it was an action.

Brilliant idea. What I like most about it, is, that you could implement it easily via FAQ. No need for titles, new cards, rewording.

And it will not make turrets obsolete.

This is not true. Blaster turret becomes impossible to fire without other upgrades. This would require a change or make the card practically obsolete.

what about "REQUIRING" a "CREW" to man it?  when you fire your turret weapon you lose the "pilot abilities" of the crew member doing the firing? you cant very well pilot a spacecraft AND fire a turret weapon??  just off the top of my head.. don't really know if its viable..lol 

Edited by Swedge

Can't we just stop the turret hate threads already. We are a few weeks ( if that ) from an answer to turrets coming into the meta. Autothrusters will cause a big shift in the meta away from so many Turrets. You don't want to make an over reaching fix that makes the ships with turrets useless.

Sadly, other people have it. Blaster becomes obsolete and it hits the fatties a bit too hard.

The fix to large, primary turrets (i.e, the only ones that are actually a pain in the ass) should have come when the yt-1300 was originally released and given four different arcs to rotate their turret to at set speeds (after movement, rotate to adjacent arc if wanted) but the time is long past for that

Edited by ficklegreendice

Autothrusters will cause a big shift in the meta away from so many Turrets.

Turrets will never lose a significant role in the meta.

Autothrusters is not designed to nerf turrets. It's designed to give a ship whose only existence is not being shot at more of a fighting chance when up against a ship that can always shoot at it.

It's not to handicap turrets, it's to give viability back to arc-dodgers. You can tell, because it's limited to only a few ships. You can tell, because it still relies on the dice. You can tell, because it only affects one die result.

Turrets will never lose a significant role in the meta, because always being able to target a ship that can shoot you is better than not having a shot at all. Autothrusters all but guarantees one evade result, if you have a focus for defense, but last I checked the evade action never stopped people from targeting a high-priority target, even if their chances were slim to hit. And autothrusters isn't even the first upgrade taking aim at turrets.

Autothrusters will cause a big shift in the meta away from so many Turrets.

Turrets will never lose a significant role in the meta.

Autothrusters is not designed to nerf turrets. It's designed to give a ship whose only existence is not being shot at more of a fighting chance when up against a ship that can always shoot at it.

It's not to handicap turrets, it's to give viability back to arc-dodgers. You can tell, because it's limited to only a few ships. You can tell, because it still relies on the dice. You can tell, because it only affects one die result.

Turrets will never lose a significant role in the meta, because always being able to target a ship that can shoot you is better than not having a shot at all. Autothrusters all but guarantees one evade result, if you have a focus for defense, but last I checked the evade action never stopped people from targeting a high-priority target, even if their chances were slim to hit. And autothrusters isn't even the first upgrade taking aim at turrets.

while true, the auto-thruster advantage is a fair bit more significant than a single evade token (not an action which, at the very least, means you can stack it with evades for fat han levels of "**** you")

Turrets probably won't be going far, but with the imperials getting their squints back on the table and the tie advance erupting onto the scene like bats out of hell, we shouldn't see players suckling the phantom & vt teat 99% of the time.

The fix to the abundance of turrets is more swarm lists. None of the turrets can withstand sustained fire from more than a few ships. Now, if only smarmy lists had a reasonable chance against VI ACD Phantoms.....

Edited by Rinehart

Wonder if it would be make it be better for the game if turrets required an action to allow them to fire outside of the front arc.

Would mean you'd have to either position your ship for front firing or lose an evade/focus to fire outside the front arc.

Same would be for Firespray using the rear arc.

I don't think it would break the turreted ships. Might be more exciting to play having to make a decision.

Here's a question, how much use does the Blaster Turret get? That is pretty much what you are doing to the turrets. And is there really an issue with auxiliary arcs? 

The fix to the abundance of turrets is more swarm lists. None of the turrets can withstand sustained fire from more than a few ships. Now, if only smarmy lists had a reasonable chance against VI ACD Phantoms.....

Perfect Imbalance!

No offense, but you're not the first to think of this. Swarms haven't actually faired as well as you'd think in the current meta and it's not just because of the Phantom; swarms can easily lose to Super Dash and Fat Han too.

I don't think it's necessary at all, but if we are conjecturing, an action is too much. Maybe a Stress token for shooting out of arc to simulate the requirement for a steady shooting platform. Can shoot even if already stressed.

Perfect Imbalance!

Swarm destruction and making higher PS pilots viable was kind of the point of the phantom....

Can't we just stop the turret hate threads already. We are a few weeks ( if that ) from an answer to turrets coming into the meta. Autothrusters will cause a big shift in the meta away from so many Turrets. You don't want to make an over reaching fix that makes the ships with turrets useless.

I heavily disagree. It only makes Interceptors and A-Wings slightly more viable but it will not shift anything on the turret builds. They will be dominant for 1 reason: Phantom.

Also, I suggested this idea a very long time ago and found that it overly complicates play for the turrets. I think the problems isn't turrets, it's that the turret is as strong as the B-Wing attack. That is atypical; if turrets were always that awesome, why not equip every ship with a turret?? The proclaimed cost factor built into the turret ships (point cost) is simply not enough.