Sign in to follow this  
awayputurwpn

Desperate Allies

I'm actually pretty happy to get the Neimoidians.  None of my players are big EU people so if a species wasn't in a movie (or maybe in the Clone Wars cartoon), its hard to get my group excited about them.  The Neimoidians are one of the more recognizable prequel species, and because their appearances on-screen were all so one dimensional, it should make it easy and effective to play against type.

Not excited about this.

Weird alien choices. 

Must admit I am fed-up to the back teeth of their policy for species being 'all freaks, all the time'.

Yes, I know some people want weird stuff and there's so many cantina/palace scenes they can scrape the barrel for, but it's just feeling widely unbalanced that there's NO humanoid species been released in the last half-dozen books. 

That... thing... on the left? I'm like, 'WTF, kill it with fire!!!'

And I'd assumed Neimodians were essentially just Duros with bad dress sense. Aren't they basically what 'Corellian humans' are to humans?

It's unfortunately, because our AOR Diplomat tends to be the main character in the stories we run.  It feels thematically bizarre to have a team of all humans in an organisation that (in our game) was expressly formed by 'aliens' to combat human expansionism.

At this point I am strongly tempted to run an Imperial game and hunt down all the bug-eyed monsters with flamethrowers. :(

Edited by Maelora

Yes, I know some people want weird stuff and there's so many cantina/palace scenes they can scrape the barrel for, but it's just feeling widely unbalanced that there's NO humanoid species been released in the last half-dozen books. 

Aren't most of the species in Force and Destiny humanoid? 

Edited by DeadBothanSpy

Caamasi are great and they fit the role of diplomat pretty well since they are pacifists by nature. I've been looking forward to their inclusion for a while.

If we had a line up of all the species in the Star Wars universe, a good majority of them would be your more "exotic" variety and not those that I imagine Maelora's players would be interested in. I bet they'll be more interested in the species that will be released in the F&D line.

Edited by kaosoe

Said this in another thread, but I'll repeat: Chagrians would have been a good choice here, perhaps better than either Caamasi or Gossam. I think Maelora might even approve of them. :) And Caamasi is an odd choice, considering they're an obscure EU species. But they seem to be a fan favorite to judge by the responses here, so cool. I'm scratching my head at Gossam, but at least they're a movie species.

Regarding the species selection, which was one of my sections for this book: I obviously can't discuss anything resembling details before release, but I can say I went into this assignment thinking "all of this stuff needs to be interesting to and usable by the people who are going to buy this book." I wanted to make it so that people would find it interesting to play these species, and that GMs would want to have NPCs who were of these species. I can't say for sure that I succeeded (I think I did, but I'm biased! ;) ), but hopefully you guys will like how they came out.

If we had a line up of all the species in the Star Wars universe, a good majority of them would be your more "exotic" variety and not those that I imagine Maelora's players would be interested in. I bet they'll be more interested in the species that will be released in the F&D line.

I agree kaosoe, but if we had a line-up of all those who had speaking parts or lead parts in films, series, books, videogames etc, we'd see mostly humanoid species, which would include wookiees and whatever that thing in the Rebels anime is.  That's the kind of character my players want to play, and I can't blame them.   There's a reason Revan's companions or Asokha aren't Chevin.  

Yes, there was solid take-up by the F&D group on Zabrak, Nautolans, Togruta and Mirialans. Nobody has a Cerean yet but I'd just about say they count too. 

And I'm not saying we shouldn't have freak species. I object to the lack of choice, that now we are ONLY seeing freakish species. It feels very one-sided.  

And most of these freakshow species weren't intended to be anything other than scenery, remember. They are only in the cantina to spook the naive young Skywalker, to show the audience he's a greenhorn and out of his depth. Yes, they've all been elaborated on since (heck, some of them seem to have more complex backstories than Batman!) but I just can't see them as leads in a series or game.

Yes, I'd take Chagrians. Heck, I'd take Clawdites at this point.  

Edited by Maelora

Nemoidians are an odd choice for sure, the most screentime they get is in Episode 1 in which they're ultimately just pawns in the larger game Palpatine is playing behind the scenes. Wonder if they get setbacks to resisting deception checks

Nemoidians are an odd choice for sure, the most screentime they get is in Episode 1 in which they're ultimately just pawns in the larger game Palpatine is playing behind the scenes. Wonder if they get setbacks to resisting deception checks

But they were deceived by Sith who could use the force to influence them?

Wow, people are quick to judge an entire race on the actions of a few...

I think it's a problem that stems from the movies a bit.  I know most attitudes about the races come from the first face we really see of a species with a name.

Just look at Watto in the movies, vs the Toydarians in The Clone Wars.  Or even the Gungans.  I honestly don't like Jar-Jar, but **** could the rest of the Gungan's hold their own in a fight, and were pretty cool dudes, usually.

Edited by eowarion

People may say what they want but I am super exited about this new book. This is just what this game needed now. And then more races , can never get to much of these. And lots of other stuff....

I see a lot of future adventures gonna have this book as a source book.

Cant wait :-)

Well, I'll make a Neimodia NPC just to play an Asian stereotype...

http://i.giphy.com/4WHkXdDx8wjS0.gif

I thought they were Caribbean stereotypes. My Political Correctness Receptor must be misaligned.

According to wookiepedia, depending on the release language of the movie, the Neimoidians have Thai, Russian, or French-like accents.

Well, I'll make a Neimodia NPC just to play an Asian stereotype...http://i.giphy.com/4WHkXdDx8wjS0.gif

I thought they were Caribbean stereotypes. My Political Correctness Receptor must be misaligned.
That'd be Gungans, not Neimodians.

Back to the subject: I think the character and equipment options for this book will be really cool. I'm even looking forward to the Neimodians as they're cousins to the Duros.

Edited by Agatheron

I've featured Cato Neimoidia in nearly all my Star Wars campaigns across the years...so I am looking forward to having the species to go along with the planet.

I am also looking forward to playing any of these species in non-standard careers, like a Camaasi Warrior: Shii-Cho Knight, or a Gossam Hired Gun: Heavy.

Neimoidian Colonist: Entertainer...here I'm thinking along the lines of a stand-up comedian, but I would also go with an acrobatic theme.