Sign in to follow this  
FuriousGreg

No Stun...

So I've always been a little bothered by the Stun setting on most Blasters. I've felt, as far back as WEGSW, that it was a re-con RPG kind of thing and just never really liked it. We only see/saw the Stun setting used once and only by the Stormtroopers in A New Hope and the characters throughout the films act as if their Blasters don't have any other function than throwing hot death. Something about having a Stun setting on nearly every weapon makes it all feel more, well like how they changed Han shot first in the original SW, like the SW universe should be some how safer. The irony is that the good guys still never seem to use the stun setting...

I know why it was added so long ago, to give PCs options besides shooting to kill, but I'm just not a big fan.

Anyway I'm starting a new group and I've let them know that normal, off the rack Blasters do not come with a Stun setting. The exceptions are Law Enforcement models and the Military E11 Blaster Carbine (because we see it in the film) and that these dual purpose weapons will be rare. If they want a Stun weapon they can buy a stunner (Light or Hvy), which will be commonly available, or add it as a Rare Limited Ammo Mod (1 HP) to any weapon that currently has the ability listed.

I'm just throwing this out incase anyone else had the same feeling about this.

well, the movies focus in war, it is star WARS after all. eote isn't. its about doing what you need to do to get by, and blunt bunting is a good way a to get creds

that said, I have no problem with it. its an attachment, and not offering an attachment is legit in my.mind. just lower the cost of the weapon to compensate, and give it an additional hard point.

Your table, your rules, but I think that this is going to end up limiting the types of jobs your crew would take:

• If they're a pack of intragalactic murder hoboes, no sweat!  
  • If they're the clandestine sort that might for example take a job to find a kidnapped daughter of their obligation holder only to find the daughter only ran away and won't come back easily, they might have a bad time.  

I ran a game for a year and a half and I've been playing in one for the past 6 months, and stun has come up exactly once.  I would like to propose you discuss it with the group rather than issue an edict and see if they might have a compelling reason to change your mind.  

That said, I'll reiterate: your table, your rules!  Just throwing out some food for thought.

EU has a lot of examples of the stun setting being used.  What I've always assumed from the books and movies was that the stun setting isn't as precise, doesn't have the same range, and certainly doesn't have the stopping power (a stun bolt might not put someone down where a full-power kill shot would).

Edited by Admiral Terghon

EU has a lot of examples of the stun setting being used.  What I've always assumed from the books and movies was that the stun setting isn't as precise, doesn't have the same range, and certainly doesn't have the stopping power (a stun bolt might not put someone down where a full-power kill shot would).

And canon too! Ezra's blaster and his subsequent blaster-saber fires only stun rounds. Pretty good tool for when you want to play a character who is intentionally not a murderer.

And canon too! Ezra's blaster and his subsequent blaster-saber fires only stun rounds. Pretty good tool for when you want to play a character who is intentionally not a murderer.

And in the latest episode, when both Kanaan has both Sabine and Zeb firing at Ezra so that he can practice Reflect, they’re firing in stun mode — and no blue rings! So maybe some weapons have a different implementation of stun than others, and maybe the blaster bolts come out a different color, but otherwise look and act like regular blaster bolts.

Food for thought.

And in the latest episode, when both Kanaan has both Sabine and Zeb firing at Ezra so that he can practice Reflect, they’re firing in stun mode — and no blue rings! So maybe some weapons have a different implementation of stun than others, and maybe the blaster bolts come out a different color, but otherwise look and act like regular blaster bolts.

Food for thought.

Not to mention the training droids in ANH Luke was using and in AotC with the younglings.

Actual stun rings seem to only be from various military rifles, at least in the way of new canon.

I wish there was a downside to using Stun, like Prepare 1 or Slow-Firing 1 so that it's not as easy of an options as it currently seems to be.

Well, there is the reduced range. "When weapons with a stun setting are used to deal stun damage, their range changes to short and cannot be increased." p.157 (EotE Core)

Food for thought.

I'd go with the different color. I noticed when Zeb and Sabine were firing stun bolts at Ezra they were orange instead of the usual red of a lethal blaster shot.

I wish there was a downside to using Stun, like Prepare 1 or Slow-Firing 1 so that it's not as easy of an options as it currently seems to be.

What - you mean above and beyond the Must Be Short Range limitation? That seems a pretty huge downside if you're relying on range to keep the guy with a vibrosword off you. . . . .

The Stun article on Wookieepedia has a list of all the canon appearances of a "stun setting." http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stun/Canon

It's more than just the E-11, anyway :)

Also, it's worth noting that stun setting is used/ordered in the films by Darth Vader when he wants someone alive (both in A New Hope and again in Empire Strike Back). This would lead many to (rightly, IMO) infer that stun setting is somehow inferior to lethal blasts. At least, that would explain why the vast majority of characters we see use lethal settings on their blasters.

The Clone Wars show also had stun setting uses. Most memorable is when Ashoka tries to flee Coruscant with clone troopers chasing her.

Right, but that was with the standard blue “stun rings” being fired from the E-11 carbines/rifles that the clone troopers were using.

What we’ve seen recently is different.

Not to mention the training droids in ANH Luke was using and in AotC with the younglings.

I’m not sure I’d count those as “stun” shots. More like “stings”, but I don’t know how you’d differentiate that in terms of mechanics.

Actual stun rings seem to only be from various military rifles, at least in the way of new canon.

Right. As we saw in SW:ANH when Leia got hit by stun on her CR-90, and when Ahsoka Tano was running from the clone troopers in the story arc where she was being framed for murder.

The training droid Luke uses also fires 'sting' bolts, but they seem to do negligible damage.  That's a setting I could see a lot of blasters having - basically a low-ammo "training" setting.  The true knock-out stunner we don't see that often at all.  However, it's exactly the kind of weapon I'd expect police on civilized planets to carry.

I've always considered the stun rings as more of a crowd control setting.  Fire one into a crowd and you could take down several people.  I would have a stun bolt also be possible but you would only get the one person you aimed at.

And the sting bolts would just be a low power setting of a blaster that not all could be set to.