Sign in to follow this  
GondorianFire

Time Mechanic Kills The Game For Me

Anyway, if turtling is too much of a problem and breaks the game, the DT can always force a draw cup, much like in AGoT LCG. I, personally, do not consider turtling a stain in the game's dress.

(snip)

turteling is a overused word around here. I do not think there is anything wrong with the play style that manages threat and goes for a slower win. Decks like that can be very fun.

The thing some people are talking about with turteling is about how odds stack. The encounter deck doesn't change its ods. It stays at the same power level for the entire quest. The player board gain more and more power and stability as the game goes longer. Almost all quests once you stabilize your board you are pretty much golden. This is how turteling started getting talked about on this forum.

I'm a little surprised that so few of the 'special' keywords get re-used. Archery has come up regularly. But battle and siege are rare, and could mix interestingly with time etc., and prowl seems to be gone after one scenario etc. It would be nice if they could get re-used sometime. Although I realise this would mean adding those rules to the scenario each time.

Yeah, there are quite a few keywords that are scenario specific, like Ambush, Prowl, Hide, and Underworld.  I think that's done very intentionally, to lend unique flavor to the different scenarios.  I doubt if Prowl was ever intended to be used again outside of the Druadan Forest, for example.  Underworld is certainly very specific in its theme.  

But then we do have keywords that pop up here and there outside of their original scenario.  I expect we will see more of Toughness in the future...

I loved the time mechanic while I generally despise battle and siege.  As someone that doesn't like to deckbuild for a specific quest, battle and siege make many decks and heroes totally worthless and it makes a core attribute totally worthless.  Meanwhile, time gives a sense of urgency that usually adds more excitement to the game.  I like to play low threat decks with lots of card draw and I had a total blast in this cycle because time and the Dunlendings forced me to play those decks differently.  Although I will admit that time can be overdone.  I don't think there should ever be more than 2 or 3 cards with Time in play at once.

And yet it is easy to forget.

How? I can't see any logical reason to that. End of the turn - check every encounter card with timed for stuff. It's a whole mechanic. There are cards that exclusively trigger during certain phases and other rare occurances, yet no one creates whine threads about them. This is just a hipocrisy. 

1) Stop trolling him. Mistakes happen and things get forgotten, this happens all the time with LCG's due to their complexity. If you remember everything then congratulations....

2) This is not hypocritical

3) It's HYPOCRISY

4) Just saying !!!

How? I can't see any logical reason to that. End of the turn - check every encounter card with timed for stuff. It's a whole mechanic. There are cards that exclusively trigger during certain phases and other rare occurances, yet no one creates whine threads about them. This is just a hipocrisy. 

1) Stop trolling him. Mistakes happen and things get forgotten, this happens all the time with LCG's due to their complexity. If you remember everything then congratulations....

3) It's HYPOCRISY

4) Just saying !!!

1) To stop trolling him I need to start trolling him, which I never did. Yes, mistakes happen and things get forgotten in LCGs, but if anything - Time keywords makes things easier to remember because it:

a) normalizes them - there is literally only one natural trigger which happens at the most action-free phase;

b) visualizes them - cards with Time keyword have friggin RESOURCE TOKENS on them. You don't even have to read the text to see that this card has something to do at the end of the round. 

2) It is. If Time is easy to forget for you, then other stuff is even easier to forget and then we have two options: there is either something wrong with the game, or with you. Not the Time keyword.

3) Ok.

4) Just saying.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

3) It's HYPOCRISY

4) Just saying !!!

1) To stop trolling him I need to start trolling him, which I never did. Yes, mistakes happen and things get forgotten in LCGs, but if anything - Time keywords makes things easier to remember because it:

a) normalizes them - there is literally only one natural trigger which happens at the most action-free phase;

b) visualizes them - cards with Time keyword have friggin RESOURCE TOKENS on them. You don't even have to read the text to see that this card has something to do at the end of the round. 

2) It is. If Time is easy to forget for you, then other stuff is even easier to forget and then we have two options: there is either something wrong with the game, or with you. Not the Time keyword.

3) Ok.

4) Just saying.

Well i thought i would dignify you with a swift response

1) I agree but MISTAKES/ FORGETTING happens..Dont delude yourself

2) This is not hypocritical. You are not using this word in the correct context. You may think you are but you are not..

3) You're welcome

With all the effects on cards, its very easy to miss doing something. I quite often forget the time counters. It generally depends how distracted I am when i'm playing. When i realise i've forgotten something, I back up the game state if I can, and then carry on, but otherwise i'll probably just start a fresh game, as I don't like feeling like i've "cheated" somehow.

Its so easy to overlook things, I'm not particularly convinced by anyone who says they've never forgotten anything. Either they're amazingly focused, in which case congratulations, or they never realised they missed something.

Even with Time I think Antlered Crown is one of my favorites. Can be difficult but not too difficult. Played 2P the other day and a couple times it looked like we had lost if it wasn't for some location management. Very fun. I think this cycle was one of the best, Tharbad was a bit too easy for Solo player, and Nin in ElPh kinda annoyed me because it could destroy any strategy depending on the quest you draw, but overall a strong cycle and I have nothing but optimism for the direction the game is heading