Sign in to follow this  
KwikBrownFox

Lost in Faerie World Setting?

So my I am trying to get my girlfriend into RPGs.  She is starting to like them since she did drama in college.  I like the mechanics of this game.  It is quick, light and to the point.  Furthermore, I beleive it indeed has a good balance and the rules don't bog down the game.

My questions is....?

Do you think I can do a "lost in Fairie world" type setting?  That is what she is into and I think I can make it work.  Any recomendations would be appreciated. 

Do you think I can do a "lost in Fairie world" type setting?  That is what she is into and I think I can make it work.  Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Sure, why not?

The success of such an endeavour is limited only by your own ability to create an engaging faerie world. The mechanics would continue to function as they always do.

If you want an RPG that already does this, I'd recommend Changeling: the Lost from White Wolf. Carrying over the idea of making yourself as a character would be simple enough. The mechanics are similar in structure, although admitedly more complex than EotW.

Changeling assumes that you've been kidnapped into Faerie Land and then escaped back to the real world, altered by your time there. But it would be easy enough to just stay in Faerie Land. Start off with no magic powers (skip that part of character creation) - maybe she can slowly gain powers during the game, or not, as you see fit.

What steve-o said.

While there are other RPGs out there that could fit the theme. Changeling the lost, really nails it, it should still be easy to get hold of a copy and mechanics will feel familiar to EotW.(stats devided into 3 "blocks", rolling x successes on x number of dice)

And while the setting is one of the most dark of the world of darkness, (suprising since its a world full of vampires, werewolves and worse) you can easily fix that as the GM.

As for zombie apocalypse i'd go with the "It ends with a whisper" setting. Voodoo possesion could be made to represent the Elvish lords and ladies magic powers, and zombies would become changelings.

(Maybe wrath of gods might be a bit more apropriate to convert to fairy world. but since it isn't out yet and we can only guess what's going to in it, i can't be quite sure.)

Changeling, while excellent, will not quite capture the horror, despair, dread, and euphoria of being a mere mortal lost in the fairy realm. I would posit that you absolutely can use The End of the World for this, possibly with more ideas to be mined from Wrath of the Gods which that book comes out (which I believe is the next release).

My point was that you are decidedly NOT mortal in Changeling. So while horror, dread, despair and such are present, you are still a super powered murder hobo. What I love about The End of the World, and I can't wait until Wednesday to run it, is that you are just Joe Schmoe...and you will die, likely running, possibly screaming...

Edited by caul

Ah i see. Fair point.

Altough you could make a mortal (maybe from Hunter the vigil or WoD Innocents.) and drop them in the changeling setting. And besides all those powers don't do spit againt the Gentry. (Gaaaah!!!)

We once did a one off where you play as the simulacrum that was made to replace the abducted person.

So you are living your normal life and then one day pops up this weird monsterous being that somehow looks like you and it starts screaming at you about taking it's place and your parents and then it turns out that you aren't a real human.

How is it that the one about faeries makes the one about vampires seem less grimdark?

Altough you could make a mortal (maybe from Hunter the vigil or WoD Innocents.) and drop them in the changeling setting. And besides all those powers don't do spit againt the Gentry. (Gaaaah!!!)

Well, you can make a regular human using the core World of Darkness book. No powers, no anything. It's the baseline for all the splatbooks for a reason, after all. =P

I would posit that you absolutely can use The End of the World for this, possibly with more ideas to be mined from Wrath of the Gods which that book comes out (which I believe is the next release).

Just so we're clear, I wasn't saying you can't do it with EotW. You certainly can, and I said as much before. I was just offering an alternative that already has the faerie setting in place.

Really, you can run any setting you want with any RPG book you have. That's the beauty of RPGs. All you need is enough imagination. =)

The old school celtic fearies: The ones that steal babies, trap people in fairy circles, abduct kids and make 'em wash dishes for two hundred years. the type that can only be wounded by cold iron. The ones from "Lords and Ladies " by Terry Pratchet. The ones to run away from real fast.

Seriously, the Gentry from Changeling the lost are a cross between Morgana, Ramsey Snow and Absdurael Vect- NONE of those people should have godlike powers!

No kidding: a 6th gen vampire in VtM has a better chance against a methuselah than a changeling PC has of beating the Gentry.

I definitely think it could work. I am actually planning to surprise my players with having them sucked into the game of Talisman instead of being overrun by ravenous zombies. I think it will work as none of them seem that interested in zombies but all have quite a bit of experience with Talisman, which I hope will generate a thrill when they get sucked into the world.

For your idea you just need to come up with a concept, how did they get stuck in the faerie world, what is it like, who rules it, is it a beautiful place or a place of dread or both? Statting the faeries should be pretty easy as it is a very simple, rules light game, just give them what you think is right and add a power or two as special features. Don't make them too powerful though or at least not most of them as remember your players will just be normal humans.

Then your players need goals, do they want to escape back to their world, carve out a place for themselves in this new fantastic realm or just explore and see the fantastic sights? Or even just survive if it's an especially dangerous land.

Should be fairly easy to convert and all the hard work of making completely normal characters (and by that I don't just mean no superpowers but also not kick ass combatants like most rpg games create) is laid out for you.

Good luck with it!

Thank you for the input everyone.  I have played Changeling the Dreaming and Changeling the Lost for years.  While I like it I do not want to do that much work.  I do think I can make this work.

And yes the Faries will be closer to what you see in Changeling the Lost and even a little bit of Alice in Wonderland.  The rules for EotW are light.  So this can really work.  The last time I did Changeling I had spreadsheets of dozens of characters, Gant Charts, flow charts with branching story plots, etc.  This one with my girl will be more of sandbox campaign.