Sign in to follow this  
GM Hooly

Using and Carrying Heavy Weapons in One Hand

Only official thing I can think of is modding them with the Pistol Grip in Dangerous Covenants.

Perhaps when wielding a Ranged Heavy weapon one-handed (unless it says you can wield it one-handed otherwise) that it would gain Cumbersome 3 if it has no present Cumbersome and existing Cumbersome weapons get their Cumbersome rating increased by 2. This means you have to be slightly buff to be able to do it, and restricts the more Cumbersome weapons to the incredibly strong without blocking out too many weapons they can do it with at once. This also allows players to invest in Weapon Harnesses if they're so determined to make it a normal thing.

Pistol grip suggests adding a setback when going one-handed (though this is mostly only possible because the gun gets further mods to drop its weight), so maybe also knock difficulty up when using one-handed by 2 setback - same amount of setback added when specifically aiming for something.

LOL. No, its a droid. Now the player would like me to find a way to make the weapon retractable...oh dear.

Why am I not surprised...

Retractable can just be a re-skinned holster unless they want it hidden. Because it's bigger then  ENC 1 you can't use the cyber arm weapon in the RAW so it's something you'll have to house rule it. Regardless any Droid that is constructed to be able to wield multiple Heavy Weapons would be considered a War Droid.

Remind your Player that War Droids are illegal in the Empire and most of the rest of the Galaxy after the Clone Wars. They will likely be arrested, and dismantled shortly after, or attacked on sight by pretty much any Imperial or Law Enforcement troops.

LOL. No, its a droid. Now the player would like me to find a way to make the weapon retractable...oh dear.

Why am I not surprised...

Retractable can just be a re-skinned holster unless they want it hidden. Because it's bigger then  ENC 1 you can't use the cyber arm weapon in the RAW so it's something you'll have to house rule it. Regardless any Droid that is constructed to be able to wield multiple Heavy Weapons would be considered a War Droid.

Remind your Player that War Droids are illegal in the Empire and most of the rest of the Galaxy after the Clone Wars. They will likely be arrested, and dismantled shortly after, or attacked on sight by pretty much any Imperial or Law Enforcement troops.

The only way you won't get a threat indicator on it would be to literally start with something like a loading droid or reskin it as such. That would be able to give you retractable weapons that get hidden away and wont draw as much attention. That is a lot of custom work to be done. Just not on the droid frame, but the weapons themselves.

They won't just be an off the shelf weapon. They will take that weapon and reconfigure it for the space it will occupy.  Strip it down, rework the trigger mechanism, adjust the barrel length, and the other components to get it to work.

Oh its a guy thing. Here's a picture of what he's attempting to emulate:

Kyanite-small.png

How in the...?  I would simply tell the player that I was sorry, but there simply isn't enough mass in the robot to enable retractable weapons in that wasp like frame.  

Not unless they find Time Lord technology.

yeah, its illegal, but this game is cinematic. I wouldn't worry about it, unless.its obligation is rolled. and being illegal is one heck of an obligation.

as for.the duel.wield, law of awesome it. as long as it doesn't break the game balance increase the cumbersome, add a couple of setback die, and call it good.

yeah, its illegal, but this game is cinematic. I wouldn't worry about it, unless.its obligation is rolled. and being illegal is one heck of an obligation.

as for.the duel.wield, law of awesome it. as long as it doesn't break the game balance increase the cumbersome, add a couple of setback die, and call it good.

OH, don't fool yourself it will bust your game wide open. Maybe not a first with his low EXP, but once he gets his skills up (it'll be the first thing he does too) combats will be as exciting as watching paint dry. See once you open that door it's nearly impossible to close it, and if you let one player go Munchkin everyone will want to or everyone will just loose interest. Either way I'm glad it's not my problem.

PS. The Star Wars Films are cinematic, what you've got going here is Cartoony. Sure there are Battle Droids and such in the prequels but this game isn't designed for that type of combat.

Edited by FuriousGreg

I was thinking about that too. I do have another suggestion: destiny points. anytime she wishes to duel wield, use a destiny point for.the option. that will.give them the option, but limit the amount of times she can do it and think tactically about when to.do it. all without nerfing the ability to.

RAW, Blaster Carbines can be fired in one hand like heavy pistols, but only to short range adn there is no mention of dual wielding.  At the end of the day, you can add a bunch of setback, upgrades, etc. but you have to ask yourself...Is allowing your custom built war droid PC fire a blaster carbine in each hand out to its max range of Medium any more destabilizing than the Hired Gun with a Heavy Blaster Rifle and autofire?  I say let him do it.  I would not allow anything bigger than a blaster carbine.  I would also not allow them to be retractable (impractical and unfair to other PCs).  He would also draw the attention of every security force anywhere he goes.  I would also double the price of the weapon for customization, but leave everything as is for hard points, mods, attachments, etc.

Dual wielding 2 auto fire weapons mechanically only makes scoring hits harder due to the additional Difficulty die added to the dice pool and doesn't increase hits in anyway.  Dual wielding a pair of pistolized single shot rifles really isn't all that big a deal, a pair of tricked out H7s is probably better anyway.