Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

Can someone answer me ?

Hi, I'm new here and i never played this though it makes me want to

i have some doubts about it ..

- Is this game only focused in Episodes IV - VI?

- Is it hard to learn ?

- Is there any online program where i can play and someone who can teach me ?
- Can we expect cards based in episodes I-III or expanded universe like KOTOR ?

Hi, I'm new here and i never played this though it makes me want to

i have some doubts about it ..

- Is this game only focused in Episodes IV - VI?

- Is it hard to learn ?

- Is there any online program where i can play and someone who can teach me ?

- Can we expect cards based in episodes I-III or expanded universe like KOTOR ?

The game is set around the original trilogy and the Expanded Universe content that happens around that time.

It can be taught within the time span of one game, about an hour. The finger points of the game are learned with practice.

OCTGN it's the program most widely used to play it online. I'm sure anyone on there would be willing to teach you.

Probably not anything with the prequel movies. As I've said there is a decent amount of expanded universe content in it already.

Edited by GroggyGolem

The game is set around the original trilogy and the Expanded Universe content that happens around that time.

It can be taught within the time span of one game, about an hour. The finger points of the game are learned with practice.

OCTGN it's the program most widely used to play it online. I'm sure anyone on there would be willing to teach you.

Probably not anything with the prequel movies. As I've said there is a decent amount of expanded universe content in it already.

thanks for your answers  :) it's a shame .. they could expand the game beyond and having darth maul or quin gon jin would be awesome

Edited by goncardoso

Game is focused around the original trilogy, but many of the minor units serve game functions over movie-ness. As stated, there is a bit of expanded universe already introduced, especially in the last cycle and expansion. The game is pretty straightforward rules-wise, but the exact timings of complex interactions take time to play. As with any card game, managing the game text of all your pieces (as well as your opponent's) is what wins games. OCTGN and LackeyCCG are your options for online play, and most will be able to show you the ropes.

You should totally get into this game!

It would also become a bit confusing having to deal with good and evil versions of Anakin Skywalker since he would be a unique unit.

"If Darth Vader is in play, sacrifice this unit."

(Shrugs.)

You could also have "this card's title is also treated as 'Darth Vader'", which, while less thematic, would keep Vader and Anakin from sharing the board without encouraging Dark Side to always run Vader as a counter for Anakin.

It would also become a bit confusing having to deal with good and evil versions of Anakin Skywalker since he would be a unique unit.

(Shrugs.)

You could also have "this card's title is also treated as 'Darth Vader'", which, while less thematic, would keep Vader and Anakin from sharing the board without encouraging Dark Side to always run Vader as a counter for Anakin.

I feel like it would be a race then. The current ruling of uniqueness doesn't let any players play a card with the same name or title. So if Anakin and Vader were treated the same the ultimate counter to Vader would be to get Anakin on the board first and vice versa.

Even if you solve the persona issue (Decipher's game ignored it by simply never printing an actual "Anakin" character card -- only his podracer), it's still jarring having characters and vehicles from such drastically different time periods in play together.

Not to mention faction bloat when you start bringing in the Republic, CIS and so on.

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't see a need for a Confederacy of Independent Systems affiliation. I feel like a lot of that could be a mix of Sith and unaffiliated objectives. Republic seems a much bigger deal, especially if they go into stuff like Tales and KOTOR. But there is precedent for the addition of new factions in LCGs (e.g. the Silver Twilight faction in CoC). It's just not something they should do unless there proves to be a demand for it.

Edited by MarthWMaster

(Shrugs.)

I feel like it would be a race then. The current ruling of uniqueness doesn't let any players play a card with the same name or title. So if Anakin and Vader were treated the same the ultimate counter to Vader would be to get Anakin on the board first and vice versa.

What if each card had text that reads, "After *Anakin/Vader* enters play your opponent must shuffle *Anakin/Vader* back into their deck and draw a card." and then make their objectives "Limit 1 per Objective Deck" so that it can't happen too often.

I think it would be super thematic for the light side and dark side to fight over control of him.

My rationale was basically this - there's going to be an element of counter-play if Anakin and Vader are not allowed to share the board, that's just a reality of game design. If Anakin always is sacrificed when Vader is in play, then Anakin needs to be a significantly powerful unit to justify the risk. So, if this Anakin unit is hard-countered by Darth Vader and powerful enough that I can be relatively certain a Light Side opponent will use him, I am very much pushed into including Darth Vader in my deck - and Fall of the Jedi is a much more powerful set than Lord Vader's Command. So the end result is that Jedi and Sith are still yet more dominant. You can solve this by making Anakin to weak to be played, but then...no one plays your new Anakin card.

If you play it by title, two things happen. One, Anakin doesn't need to be that powerful anymore because your opponent can't remove him from the board simply by playing one of their best units. Two, playing Darth Vader becomes a riskier game because now your opponent can lock you out of playing Vader. This cuts both ways, but if Anakin is a card slightly weaker than Luke or Yoda, you'll end up with a more cyclical counter-play. Light decks pick up Anakin to try to counter Vader, Dark decks shift away from Vader, Light decks switch out Anakin for more powerful cards, it's safe to play Vader again.

What if each card had text that reads, "After *Anakin/Vader* enters play your opponent must shuffle *Anakin/Vader* back into their deck and draw a card." and then make their objectives "Limit 1 per Objective Deck" so that it can't happen too often.

I think it would be super thematic for the light side and dark side to fight over control of him.

The problem is that two versions of Darth Vader already exist (three including the challenge deck), and they don't have that text. You could fix it by having Anakin read "Forced Reaction: When this unit enters play, shuffle 'Darth Vader' into its owner's deck, then its owner draws 1 card." and "Forced Reaction: When 'Darth Vader' enters play, shuffle this unit into your deck and draw 1 card," but then you have to deal with the fact that the Light Side only has 1 Anakin (or 2 if you decide to remove the Limit 1) while the Dark Side can use up to 4 Vader.

The reason I gave my particular example is because in the story, Anakin transforms into Darth Vader, not the other way around. Though I would imagine an objective set containing Anakin would also provide a way to "redeem" him, a simple Jedi event that has an added thematic effect if Darth Vader happens to be in play. For example,

Anakin Redeemed - Event (Jedi)
Cost: 1
Force icons: 2
Play only during your turn, and only if the Balance of the Force is with the light side.
Action: If Darth Vader is in play, destroy him. Search your deck for a copy of Anakin Skywalker and add that card to your hand.
"You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right." - Anakin Skywalker, Return of the Jedi

It's a shame we already have a card called "Return of the Jedi," because that would be the perfect title for a card like this, acting as the counterpoint to the "Fall of the Jedi" objective.

Edited by MarthWMaster