Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

Hi, can someone help me ?

Hi ,

I'm new here and this game got me intrigued and looks awesome .. but can someone help me?

my doubts are : 

- is this game hard to learn ?
- is it worth it ?
- can my character go from this game to Force expansion coming this year ?

- can my character be a Jedi / Sith in this game ? ( or at least be a force user and lightsaber user )

please someone help me with this questions , 

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions:

1. I don't think this game is any harder than other RPGs to learn.  Maybe more complicated than a d20 game. Definitely easier than Shadowrun.  The proprietary dice can be intimidating, but you can get to use them quickly enough.  There are many great threads here on creative interpretation of dice results.  If you're still a little intimidated, you might want to try a beginner's box. They have a slimmed down version of the rules and lack the character generation rules, but they offer a good feel of the game. They come with dice that you can use with any of the three product lines, so they're not a bad deal.

2. Yes!  I love this game.  Even if you buy the book, use it one night, and never pick it up again, it is still comparable to taking a date to a movie and buying drinks and popcorn.

3. The games are totally compatible.  The major differences are the narrative mechanics that each uses.  Obligation for Edge of the Empire, Duty for Age of Rebellion, and Morality for Force and Destiny.  These are involved in character generation and plot development, but you can use all or none of them at your discretion.

4. Lightsaber skills and full-up Jedi are not part of the Edge of the Empire rule set. There are rules for playing more advanced force users with lightsabers in the upcoming Force and Destiny.  The beginners box is coming out this summer.  They just finished the beta on the corerulebook, so maybe by the end of the year, the full book will be available.

Edited by Domingo

- is this game hard to learn ?

No, not really. Compared to other systems out there, this one is towards the easy end to pick up. It's a bit more complex that the old D6 system but WAY more easy to understand than the D20 system (which, after constant re-reads, I never did figure out). Character creation is easy, the dice are easy to interpert once you get used to them,and the engine is super flexible.

- is it worth it ?

Dude, it's Star Wars. Of course it's worth it.

- can my character go from this game to Force expansion coming this year ?

Yup, all three are compatible with each other (and really, having the other two makes the universe complete).

- can my character be a Jedi / Sith in this game ? ( or at least be a force user and lightsaber user )

Yup. They don't actually call it Jedi Knight in Force and Destiny, but powerful force user? Not a problem - and then you just call it Jedi or Sith and it's all good.

Also, you really should read the FAQ at the top of the page. A great deal of this has already been covered in more depth than I did here.

Edited by Desslok

If you want to play Jedi / Stih, don't buy Edge of the Empire. In a couple of months the beginners box of Force and Destiny will out in stores, that is the game to go if you want to play force users. Get it and have fun!

Just to clarify, Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion use the same set of rules as Force and Destiny uses (100% compatible) but they include little about playing a force user.

You come to the game forum to ask a rather bias group whether it is worth it?

It is, duh

I have played in many game systems.  And i really like this one.  the dice are a bit fuddly to figure out at first and you sometimes get "I am not sure what happened" momment.  And the vehicle combat system needs some tweaks, or at least a player that understands it and can maximize the effectiveness.

The production value of the Books are incredible and it is being heavily supported by FFG.  Buy it, and you wont be disappointed

Edited by kinnison

well thanks for all the answers , nice to see the comunity here is cool and helps new guys like me :)

i'm a little sad because i wanted to play with a character that could use a lightsaber and use that character in the other expansion, but since it's not possible im a little disappointed.. even so , thanks again for all the info :)

another question... since everyone is talking about the dices.. are they included in the game or you have to buy them sepperatly ? and the game explains how the dices work ?

ps: sorry bad english

Edited by goncardoso

- is this game hard to learn ? - Not really, its very story centered so IMO its pretty easy to pick up.  Honestly I think the hardest part for the people I have played with is shaking off all the preconceptions from other games.

- is it worth it ? - Yes, this system is, again IMO, the best roleplaying system for games with cinematic action and storytelling.

- can my character go from this game to Force expansion coming this year ? - Yes, see my answer below.

- can my character be a Jedi / Sith in this game ? ( or at least be a force user and lightsaber user ) - Kindof.

If you are wanting to make a character that has been trained from a young age to be a Jedi/Sith, who really doesn't have any other career or training, then no Edge of the Empire isn't (as written) the game for that.  Edge is great for telling the first part of the story for a force user, Luke for instance was probably a Fringer to start with. 

Force and Destiny careers would suit you far better for a pure Jedi / Sith.

Edit for the second question:

The Dice are included with the start set for both Age and Edge.  The starter set also has tokens, and a very nice map, as well as a starter adventure.  Id suggest picking up one or both starters to build your dice, plus get all the goodies.

Either way, this is a great game.

Also if you are more interested in a Rebel Game - there is Age of Rebellion.  Personally, I think picking up all three core books gives you the widest range of options, and most characters we see (in the original trilogy at least) are a mixture of 2 or 3 of the books.

Edited by WarrenH

Yeah the only hard parts about the game are coming up with the narrative results of a die roll, and figuring out vehicle combat. Die rolls are a challenge because it takes a little getting used to coming up with stuff. Vehicle combat is difficult not because its hard, but because its intended to be fast and easy, so much so that a lot of people get thrown off by it.

Movement, both with vehicles and feet is a little weird too, but its easy to get used to.

If you want to play a lightsabery force user, I suggest you start with F&D. While you certainly can transition from edge or age with no problem, if a force user is your deepest darkest dream and desire, you'll probably be happier with F&D's character options as they cut you right to force use at the cost of other things you probably won't mind losing. Plus the morality mechanic will be something you can get in on from the start.

Good news is darksiders arent punished like previous systems did, oo if you want to play one, go for it.

- i'm a little sad because i wanted to play with a character that could use a lightsaber and use that character in the other expansion, but since it's not possible im a little disappointed.

Um, you can. All three systems are compatible. You can play an edge character in F&D, you can play a AoR character in Edge. No reason you cant do what you're asking.

- are they included in the game or you have to buy them sepperatly ?

The dice either come in their own separate package or you can get them in the beginners box set.

- and the game explains how the dices work ?

Yes

Edited by Desslok

i'm a little sad because i wanted to play with a character that could use a lightsaber and use that character in the other expansion, but since it's not possible im a little disappointed.. even so , thanks again for all the info :)

They cross between systems fine, its just that all the "how to use a light saber to do cool stuff" is only covered in F&D. So you'll need that book to get the play options you want, but once you've got it you can play that character with those options in any campaign from any core.

another question... since everyone is talking about the dices.. are they included in the game or you have to buy them sepperatly ? and the game explains how the dices work ?

Since you want to play a Force user, I would strongly recommend you buy this first when it comes out (hopefully soon):

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=282&enmi=Star%20Wars:%20Force%20and%20Destiny%20Beginner%20Game

This is the Force and Destiny Beginner game and will guide you through learning all the rules and how the dice work.  You'll get a set of pregenerated characters, and if it's like the past beginner games, you'll also get a set of dice, and it will probably be followed up with a downloadable PDF to extend the adventure.

Then you can decide how much you like it before committing to getting the core book.

Edited by whafrog

Dice much be purchased in the beginner set, or as a separate dice pack. You'll probably need 2 sets of dice. Alternatively there's Apps available for various smart devices. If you'll be playing face to face this might be the better long-term option.

The dice are divided into positive and negative dice, representing your ability and the difficulty. To a typical roll will see a mixture of your positive dice, and the GMs negative dice. You roll, compare the results,and then determine what happens.

Dice.jpg

It's quite simple mechanically. The "Hard" part is looking at something like a result of 0 success, 2 threat, 1 Triumph and 1 Despair. The player failed the roll, but a minor bad thing happened, a major bad thing happened, and a major good thing happened and the hard part is... what were those good and bad things? There's some charts of suggested options in the book to help you understand the magnitude of effects each of those can have, but actually translating that into a narrative takes some practice.

Force use is pretty simple though. Typically it's as easy a "Roll the number of Force Dice = to your Force Rating. You'll get a number of white and black pips. 'Spend' those pips to make the power work." There's some more details, but that's the broad strokes.

is this game hard to learn ?

The one big mechanic of this game (narrative dice) are more complicated then say, d20 + bonus versus target #. That being said the One Big Mechanic is pretty much the Only Mechanic. In other systems you have oodles of little simple things to learn and remember. In this one once you grasp the dice, you've nearly mastered the entire game.

is it worth it ?

Speaking of cost? One book and a couple packs of dice gets you started for perhaps $55. If you don't want to invest that much at the get go, you can pick up a Beginner game for less. It comes for around $25 and it isn't a waste if you later go "advanced" since it includes cheat sheets, maps, an adventure, tokens, and a set of dice.

Time learning? Crack open a Beginner set, dive in, and learn during the first session. Don't spend too much time delving over the rules trying to figure everything out before the first game session. I did that literally for weeks when Warhammer FFG came out (same basic game system), then finally played a game and realized I shouldn't have fretted. Playing a game makes everything click into place. Don't make my error and over study. Experience trumps study time in this game system.

Worth it? By all means. I've been playing RPG's for around 3 decades and I seriously don't think I will ever change to another game system. This is IT for me no matter the genre.

can my character go from this game to Force expansion coming this year ?

can my character be a Jedi / Sith in this game ? ( or at least be a force user and lightsaber user )

Yes and Yes. Others were more detailed already above.

Jump in with a Beginner game. Quickly. Don't fret the decision. Come back here for questions it's an active board.

Oh and then there's THIS. Highly suggested for you and your players to look at this during the first session.

Edited by Sturn

if you want to go the Jedi rout, the force and destiny beta book is out. specializations and.careers for making a lightsaber master force user. it gives you the chance to specialize in one of the forms. there's a forum for it and the same people here are on it.

that said, I am going to be contrary and say buy the beginners guide instead of the core. it gives you a mission, and a feel for what the game is about. if you like that, then buy the core. test drive the car before you buy it. and its cheaper than the core too.