Sign in to follow this  
pittplayer

Best Card Combos!

I was playing a 2 player game with my girlfriend, and the situation developed where she was trapped in Innsmouth by a metric ton of monsters! ( something like 3 monster surges in a row with all open gates in Innsmouth.) I was playing Norman she was Mandy! anyhoo, I pull milk of sn, next turn i pull horn (flute?) of the outer gods! bam wam flim flam that takes care of the monsters! i never thought of that combo so i was wondering what other cool card combos are there?

Other ones i have found are:

White Ship with gate box or find gate! ( the dreamer owns the game with this combo!)

Of course double shriveling!

I'm not sure wheter this is the kind of 'combo' you had in mind but - set up the timed bomb and then call the monsters into your location. Should bring down at least a couple of them.

pittplayer said:

White Ship with gate box or find gate! ( the dreamer owns the game with this combo!)

That reminds me of my last game when Jenny had the gate box, find gate and the mi-go brain case. When someone was before her in turn order, they could move to a gate, defeat all monsters and leave it to Jenny to seal any gate on the board that had priority. Of course, Patrice was part of the team. ^^

Unfortunately, Eihort was the AO, and Jenny rolled a 1 after sealing the second gate. Her blessing* and this skill that adds +1 to each die result on luck checks didn't help her much ...

* she got it due to the environment that grants the first investigator who closes (or seals?) a gate a blessing

Heal and Feeding the Mind/ Cloud Memory is pretty good.

Revelation of Script + storm of spirits

7 books + Voice of Ra (or daisy/ dexter or harvey with story complete instead of 7 books)

7 books + Alchemical Process

Lure Monster + Alchemical Process/Retainer   (this one's not obvious, so the trick here is to camp on the Asylum and call monsters to your location, take them out -probably tanking sanity to get fight higher- and buying sanity back during encounters, rinse and repeat)

Call Friend + Gate Box  (great for teamwork, seal two gates at once and bypass a gate encounter besides)

Blessing + Grapple (tough to get the grapple skill, but if you do, getting Blessed turns you into a machine)

Though I'm a bit lazy to look it up:

- summon the ancient one spell, elder thing crystals, plus a few more tricks to get you alot of successes. Then Summon/Banish the ancient one in one go, without the need of combatting him/her/it.

awp832 said:

Blessing + Grapple (tough to get the grapple skill, but if you do, getting Blessed turns you into a machine)

Having seen Skids in action today, the above combo in combat would rock with him, only the roll of 2 doesn't do anything gran_risa.gif !

Dam said:

awp832 said:

Having seen Skids in action today, the above combo in combat would rock with him, only the roll of 2 doesn't do anything gran_risa.gif !

Holy Slapdown BatDam! I didn't think of that, but you are spot on! He'd be a total killing machine. I like it!

Dam said:

awp832 said:

For that matter, if Skids passes his PS and gets his hands on Fist of Yog-Sothoth or Spectral Razor, he will absolutely mow down anything that isn't Magic Immune.

In the same vein, grapple + shotgun is always good times.

hehe, I was playing Michael McGlen one time and drew the Grapple Skill as my random skill.  Once I got blessed, it was cake taking the monsters out.  We were playing against Nyarly, and when he woke up, I blasted him in about 2 rounds, I think it was.  happy.gif  Unfortunately, that was one of my first games and many of my custom monsters have been created reflecting that experience.  Having recently playtested some of my custom monsters, I found out that they were... cruel at least.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Our sickest combo was the result of two characters:

Combine Daisy with Ashcan Pete.

Started the game by reading the Livre d'Ivon for alchemy, having Ashcan re-buy the book.
Read it again for more alchemy next turn. Now there was enough cash for Ashcan to buy the book again every round, until we got all the 'important' spells.

I can't remember if "arcane insight" was part of the game, but Daisy sure got two voices of ra, lure monster, summon monster and two shrivelings, even if I can't say for sure if she got them all out of the Livre.

From that moment on, she was a permanent buyer at the cuiositie shoppe and a victorypoint-machine.

Didn't take too long until she got her hands on the Necronomicon and the Carcosan Page, so she would send a unique item to another investigator every turn.

Best supporter I've ever seen.

Victimizer said:

Though I'm a bit lazy to look it up:

- summon the ancient one spell, elder thing crystals, plus a few more tricks to get you alot of successes. Then Summon/Banish the ancient one in one go, without the need of combatting him/her/it.

You only need one success. That's why we had Joe cast it the one time we used the combo: He had a lot of monster trophies AND since you actually need clue tokens to cast the spell, they're most likely to work with Mr. Diamond.

After that experience, we ruled that the elder crystal should be treated equaly to Wilsons "endless focus": It takes a maximum sanity cost of 4 before exploding.

Well, it's not exactly a combo but I didin't want to start a new topic.

I always wondered how to make a good use of those three unique items : Warding of the Yellow Sign, Shrine to an Elder God and Throne of Carcosa.

Thanks to Innsmouth I finally invented how to advantageously use Warding of the Yellow Sign . Yesterday I placed it on Devil's Reef :)  Simple as that! There was no more need to close&seal that gate and risk a gate burst. No more monsters could spawn through that gate evermore, so I practically blocked the way of rising the DOR track due to a monsters movement.

After that I've had an easy way to win and I finally managed to seal Cthugha.

p.s

sorry for my english ;)

Played my first game with the violinist and she started with the press pass. I found the entire game to be extremely easy after that. Only fly in the ointment was Gatha, but he never ate her.