Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello! 

I'm a little late posting this here as I was away visiting family over Christmas when the video launched, but I hope you enjoy(ed) my take on Sabine Wren.

Also I'd like to thank all of my dear viewers for the kind words of encouragement that have played such a big part in helping motivate me to reach this 50th episode!  

46520486642_3c7696f22a_b.jpg

Edited by Sorastro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a go at Gamorrean Guards, using one of Sorastro's patreon backer PDF guides.

46569724005_9dfd4b8f06_z.jpgGamorrean Guards 

These guys took a really long time to paint.  I found working on 4 at a time a bit tiring, but I am quite pleased with the results. 

You can't really tell, but they have slimy snouts, from a bit of Nurgle's Rot :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea with the plate color changing to add variety. Will definitely keep that in mind, if I get around to paint it. So far my luck with the AT-ST has been horrible, so I've shied away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, aermet69 said:

Great idea with the plate color changing to add variety. Will definitely keep that in mind, if I get around to paint it. So far my luck with the AT-ST has been horrible, so I've shied away from it.

Sorastro, I must say, your videos are quite awesome. I recently got imperial assault even though the hype has pretty much vanished. 

I got it mainly because your videos made want to paint again, as I did when I was a child, however you videos has also made me become a better painter.

Thank you so much for your videos. The game is awesome in itself but painting is a really nice way to just relax, and focus on something, really helps with managing stress. 

I have only painted some stormtroopers and a probe droid so far, but hope to move on to imperial guards, Boba Fett, Luke, Vader, emperor and a lot of other figures. 

 

Just wanted to express my gratitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, Doc.Juego said:

Sorastro, I must say, your videos are quite awesome. I recently got imperial assault even though the hype has pretty much vanished. 

I got it mainly because your videos made want to paint again, as I did when I was a child, however you videos has also made me become a better painter.

Thank you so much for your videos. The game is awesome in itself but painting is a really nice way to just relax, and focus on something, really helps with managing stress. 

I have only painted some stormtroopers and a probe droid so far, but hope to move on to imperial guards, Boba Fett, Luke, Vader, emperor and a lot of other figures. 

 

Just wanted to express my gratitude.

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate that.  Whilst you're working through the figures, I might suggest also watching some of the Star Wars: Legion painting videos because I change my approach a bit with some of the characters/units, and you might find some of the alternative ideas quite useful (my Legion Vader is a lot better than my IA Vader for example!) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Sorastro! I got some paints for Christmas and finally starting to paint my miniatures. I'll probably have a ton of questions along the way. First one! After priming my Stormtroopers with white, there are a few grey spots still should I try primer one more time or should I just paint them with white. (As a follow-up to that is the White Scar layer ok or should I use the Base white?)

When I look at some of your other videos I notice that the glazes have been discontinued by Citadel. Do you have any suggestions as a replacement?

I'll try and post pictures of my progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20190831_015050.jpg

 

I recently picked up painting over the summer, and your videos were a huge help. This was everything I finished up through about September or so (aside from the Trandoshans and Bossk, who I finished more recently before taking this pic). Although I didn't do anything special with the bases, because that was just another cost I didn't want to add on to the paints I'd already bought. So I opted for leaving the imperials grey, rebels red, and mercenaries green, and I did the rims of the heroes in blue to differentiate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 11:10 PM, Loosie said:

Hey @Sorastro! I got some paints for Christmas and finally starting to paint my miniatures. I'll probably have a ton of questions along the way. First one! After priming my Stormtroopers with white, there are a few grey spots still should I try primer one more time or should I just paint them with white. (As a follow-up to that is the White Scar layer ok or should I use the Base white?)

When I look at some of your other videos I notice that the glazes have been discontinued by Citadel. Do you have any suggestions as a replacement?

I'll try and post pictures of my progress.

Hi Loosie!  I think if you've got any small gaps in your priming, then just brush on some of your base white to cover them up (to avoid the risk of over spraying the mini).  I'm honestly not a big fan of the Citadel whites to be honest; these days I use a heavy-body artists acrylic (by Schmincke, but there are others of course).  For glazing you can actually use pretty much any paint you like - just pick something vibrant, and thin it down ideally with some medium (Lahmian Medium, or Vallejo's Glaze Medium for example). :)

On 1/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, Annette Soleil said:

 

 

I recently picked up painting over the summer, and your videos were a huge help. This was everything I finished up through about September or so (aside from the Trandoshans and Bossk, who I finished more recently before taking this pic). Although I didn't do anything special with the bases, because that was just another cost I didn't want to add on to the paints I'd already bought. So I opted for leaving the imperials grey, rebels red, and mercenaries green, and I did the rims of the heroes in blue to differentiate them.

Fabulous work Annette!  Thanks so much for sharing :)

On 1/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, Estarriol said:

I’m going to use Sorastro’s vids to teach my children to paint. Pretty sure anyone can manage a decent stormtrooper! 

Fantastic!  Don't underestimate the Stromtroopers however... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormtroopers.jpg.ed73d3c3ba48c5c7c7a24b22df3c9059.jpg

I don't think I ever want to look at another Stormtrooper again in my life (and I still have the Snowtroopers, ugh).

The recent Clonetrooper video was a huge help, although they did come out slightly darker than the first batch of nine Stormtroopers from the core game (you can tell comparing the three new standard troopers against the original nine I painted in the middle). You can definitely tell that the newer miniatures are of much higher quality and it was never more obvious to me than when I was painting them side by side like this. The older minis seem to have a slightly rougher texture to them that catches more of the contrasts/shades. And when batch painting 20(!) of these guys at once, I knew I wouldn't have the patience to painstakingly highlight all of them back up. At least with the Heavy Troopers (which also have that rougher texture) the red patterns I put on them covered up a lot of the messier spots.

I wanted to differentiate the varieties of Stormtroopers a bit more to make them a little more visually interesting. So I opted for red patterns with the Heavy troopers, blue for the Jet troopers, and dark grey for the Riot troopers. I also painted the shields and jetpacks with a slightly darker mix of the contrast colors I used on the armor (and I did the jetpacks in two coats to make them even darker), and most of the guns and backpacks for the heavy troopers with pure Black Templar which worked so nicely I didn't even need to do much highlighting with them. I might use it for all of the guns going forward (or experiment using a silver dry brush followed by the contrast paint, to see if it'll produce a slightly more metallic look). The contrast mix ended up pooling in a few weird spots on the shields but I actually like how they turned out because it easily passes as effortless battle damage.

Considering I'm already most of the way through all of the Imperial figures anyway, I might just wrap up the remaining ones before moving on to the rest of the rebels or mercenaries. They're a lot easier anyway because most of them are so monotone that they don't take as long to finish. The dewbacks and maybe the Inquisitor or Thrawn will probably be the only somewhat challenging ones left out of the Imperials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...